Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Default Crushing on a Mono - Complex Situation

I'm falling for a friend.

She was dating another friend of mine, monogamously. They broke up briefly, but then started seeing each other more casually again without really putting a label on things. I feel like there might be a small window here for me to express how I feel.

Should be open with her, and / or him, about my feelings?

I like to be open and honest about these things.

I really don't want to pine over her for years until she breaks up with my friend only to find out that she's never been interested in me. I don't want to sit around covertly hoping that my two friends break up so I can have my shot. I just want to know how she feels. And I want her to know how I feel. If it's not reciprocated, I can mope around for a while and get over it.

BUT

What if I tell her and I screw up my friendship with her and/or him? It's a big risk.

Should I talk to him first, if I do decide to go ahead with this? or leave him out of it?

I know it's a bad idea to even get involved with a mono... but she's SO awesome... I feel like I could convert her. And possibly him as well. erg.

Thoughts?

I feel really confused and indecisive.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Respect their relationship and mind your own business. Don't be a cowboy just because you have a crush. It is selfish, self centered, and wrong on many levels.

Also.. relationships with monogamous people can work.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:22 PM

So a couple of your friends are dating each other but are expressly not exclusive?

If they are explicit about the fact that they are not exclusive then I don't see a problem in discussing it. Though, you sound like you've got puppy love really bad and I would be concerned that you are setting yourself up for heartbreak. You might try to take a few deep breaths, realize that the sun does not, in fact, rise and set between her labia, and try to look at it rationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arius View Post
Should be open with her, and / or him, about my feelings?

I like to be open and honest about these things.
You asked the question.
You answered the question.

However, I would want to make sure that I wasn't poaching on a functional relationship. You should step back and do some introspection. Are you being self-centered and considering "stealing" someones love from them? I don't believe in possessing loved ones but many mono people do... and for you to pry yourself in there could be considered a treacherous act.

Quote:
... I feel like I could convert her. And possibly him as well. erg.
Attempting to change someones worldview so that you can get what you want from them is not the act of a friend.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I'm falling for a friend.

She was dating another friend of mine, monogamously. They broke up briefly, but then started seeing each other more casually again without really putting a label on things. I feel like there might be a small window here for me to express how I feel.
How do you know they haven't put a label on getting back together? If they both told you it's "casually" isn't it possible that they had some issues that caused the break up but are trying to heal right now?

Don't be an interloper and don't assume. If she ever shows you she has an interest in you, than that might be the time to ask, but for now, let them heal and figure out what they want with each other.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM

If they were or are poly.. I would definitely say approach them

She is mono, you would be attempting to poach. Keep in mind, just because they are casual, doesn't mean she will be non-monogamous.

Also have you ever brought up poly, your life, come out to them? That will be your tell on her interest in being non-monogamous. I am not saying this as a game.. just simple information. You are looking at this from a non-mono point of view.. they won't.

More than likely they are mono.. if you swoop in you will end up pissing him off, pushing her away or pushing them both away.. potentially. Or any combo of the 3.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:11 PM

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses!

This feels a lot clearer to me now.

I think I really just need to give up on her, unless she starts to express a lot more interest in me. Sadly, that might mean backing off a bit from a really enriching and enjoyable new friendship in order to protect my heart.

I think they both know I'm poly. It's not a secret. (I don't plan to have kids or a career, so I have no real reason to be in the closet.)

Marcus is right - it's manipulative and shitty to try to "convert" someone so that I can have what I want from them. Not to mention selfish.

Thanks again.

Arius.