Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiverMartin View Post
It's worse, because so many don't yet feel this call. And most of those can't understand that my intention is not to provoke guilt or shame. My intention is to provoke love and compassion.
I understand and admit I don't feel the call and also don't feel guilt and shame. I think it is a learned condition from a long family history where just getting your own small social structure to the end with relative comfort prevails. Total world concerns have never been prevalent. The environment and the state of far off places were never much of a concern.

I have been to many countries and seen many cultures. Some of which has disturbed me, some of which has inspired me. I do small things to help out but still do not get passionate about many things besides my own small world. I don't mind my small world either. I've seen lots of the big world and don't feel I am missing much....but this is way off topic!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:21 PM

I realize I probably cast my net wider than you intended. No big deal.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:24 PM

That's an essential part of it, the experience of the individual. On a larger scale, it involves everybody being able to enjoy that experience.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:29 PM

The only difference between worrying about one's own small community and that of the greater is taking those small steps to help others achieve the same thing. If your neighbors down the road get their house carried off by a tornado (not uncommon here in Kansas), I imagine you're going to make some effort to help them out.

Ensuring freedom in the larger society is much the same thing. We look to ensure the freedom of our immediate circle and then take some action, no matter how small, to ensure that every other circle can also do the same.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhCrow View Post
The only difference between worrying about one's own small community and that of the greater is taking those small steps to help others achieve the same thing. If your neighbors down the road get their house carried off by a tornado (not uncommon here in Kansas), I imagine you're going to make some effort to help them out.

You're absolutely right my friend, I would help them. I see your point in essentially everyone doing what's within their reach and it will naturally carry throughout the bigger whole.