Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 PM

Default Question

I've posted before, so, hello again. The guy that I was with, we broke up, so I never really got a chance to explore poly at all. I'm hoping to talk about it with my therapist on Tuesday, and so I'd like to ask...

What's your advice for someone that wants to explore poly but doesn't actually know anyone who is poly?

Thanks =).
Old 08-25-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monopoly4376 View Post
I've posted before, so, hello again. The guy that I was with, we broke up, so I never really got a chance to explore poly at all. I'm hoping to talk about it with my therapist on Tuesday, and so I'd like to ask...

What's your advice for someone that wants to explore poly but doesn't actually know anyone who is poly?

Thanks =).
Read and post here, so that you can get a sense of the different philosophies utilized, the myriad of configurations such relationships can take, and how to handle situations as they arise.

You can open a profile on OKCupid stating that you are poly; you can do keyword searches utilizing poly, and will come up with others' profiles who state they are poly.

I made a wonderful new friend that way. We are not involved romantically, but discovered we had many other things in common.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 AM

I found meetup.com to be helpful. As well as fetlife.com. Especially if you live in a large-ish town, there may be a poly group that meets regularly which is a great way to meet new people and discuss things.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 AM

I am in the same boat - I signed up on OKCupid and found a boyfriend on there, and did make contact with other guys claiming to be poly. My boyfriend's wife is actually now putting together a poly lady tea so she can expand her social group - it will definitely help me too!

Hinge in a poly-fi vee with two mono men
Wife to DarkKnight, Girlfriend to PunkRockAwesomesauce
My Online Journal
Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 PM

One persons life may not work for you.

My way of life, separate but equal relationships, works for me but not for others.

Read a lot.. Take part of the forums. Check and see if there are local groups. Do what works for you.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 PM

Thank you for the replies!! I will try the things suggested and see how things go =). I'm hoping for a good outcome. *crosses fingers*