Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 03-22-2016, 09:10 AM

Lightbulb ADHD and Poly

Hi amazing people!
I have been diagnosed ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) few years ago and I have been in polyamorous relationships in the last years as well. I have never made a connection between my diagnosis and my emotional life in relationships and love.
But now, I am trying to built a new, very delicate balance with Pontus. We just moved in together and it seems hard for him to think of us a family, when I share love with other people too. The thousands discussions and talks and crisis we had in the last days pushed me to explain myself to the limit, in order for him to understand me, my deepest thoughts and feelings.
This required (again) a process of self-analysis that this time brings me to connect my attention disorder and my hyperactivity with my attitude of being able to love more than one person, and to immagine my family with more than one person. I cannot focus on one sigle partner; I have way too much energy! I need to be overstimulated all the time, and this might reflect in my poly wonderful world.

I am not trying to associate polyamory with a diagnosis (which I reject when it's defined a "disease", at least in my case), I am just curious to find new threads to understand myself and present myself to the others.

So, have you ever thought of this association? Any insightful thought?

Much love, hyper love!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:49 PM

I'm inattentive type ADD rather than hyperactive. I don't blame being poly on the ADD - honestly I've always believed poly was something I chose not something I am. I *do* blame my craving for intensity and NRE - and possibly my liking for kink - on the ADD, but I don't think it's a bad thing...

Other Dramatis Personae are detailed in my blog.