Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 03:19 PM

Default Scouting/ Baden-Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Catfish and Rarechild: Ooh, can we call ourselves a "pack"? or is it too Baden Powell?

I imagine old school Baden Powell; scouts dressed in uniform around a fire chanting the scouts vow. Then going off in the woods to learn about knot tying and how to build shelters from a piece of string and a tarp.

I grew up in the scouting movement. Both parents were very involved. They were in their wedding even. This is a whole new take for me!

Last edited by Rarechild; 01-20-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: make thread make sense after hacking it off another one
Old 01-14-2011, 06:03 AM

Default Daniel Carter Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
I imagine old school Baden Powell; scouts dressed in uniform around a fire chanting the scouts vow. Then going off in the woods to learn about knot tying and how to build shelters from a piece of string and a tarp.

I grew up in the scouting movement. Both parents were very involved. They were in their wedding even. This is a whole new take for me!
My dad and my brothers and I were involved as well. Dad ran the camp kitchen for years. He collects all manner of handbooks, but this exert from Daniel Carter Beard (pre-Baden Powell, turn of the century) is by far one of the best examples why...

New Woman on Stilts

"According to the newspapers, walking on stilts is the very latest fashion able amusement of the "new woman " in London. If there is any truth in this statement, it is safe to say that it will not be long before you boys will be called upon to make stilts for your sisters.

There can be little doubt that the time is coming when a book written for boys will be the only one girls will read, or, rather, every book will be written for young people, and will be addressed to both boys and girls.

Just why girls should not walk on stilts or engage in any similar sport no one yet has given a satisfactory answer. Twenty-five years ago the boys used to make stilts with very low blocks for their sisters, and the girls seldom would use them, but insisted upon using their brothers' high-blocked stilts."

http://www.inquiry.net/traditional/beard/ohb/index.htm
Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM

In the US the Boy Scouts finally just instituted a dont ask, dont tell policy for gay leaders and boys. Believe it or not this is an improvement, showing that scouts are at least a decade behind the actual military. They were pressured into it because public schools stopped hosting scout meetings as the scouts were discriminatory. Also one of their top funders, The United Way, had stopped funding them.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

There's no lying in polyamory!

I'm a 58 year old woman with 2 partners:
miss pixi, my live-in gf, 36 (together since Jan '09)
Ginger, bf, 61, married, lives nearby (together since Jan '12)
Old 01-14-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
In the US the Boy Scouts finally just instituted a dont ask, dont tell policy for gay leaders and boys.
There was never a policy either way in regards to the youth, it has always been only about the leaders.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Well, put it this way. If you are discriminating against gay Leaders, you are discriminating against gay, bi or queer boys as well, indirectly, no? I know of more than one boy who chose not to go to Eagle Scout for just this reason.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Old 01-14-2011, 10:31 PM

My favorite gay young man quit scouts over it.

It was so sad for us, because he quit the same year my son moved from cubscouts to boyscouts and as a result, Sweet Pea lost interest in pursuing BoyScouts. He was already on his way to being able to get all of the possible awards, he got all of the possible awards in cubscouts including the arrow of light (only one you get to keep through boyscouts).

But, when our friend quit (he's older) Sweet Pea just lost momentum. He was so excited about joining the same troop as the older boy... now he just doesn't care.

I'm glad that they are progressing, if slowly. There are some good things that the kids can learn in BoyScouts.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Yeah. My ex was an Eagle Scout, and he was great to camp with.

My gf was raised as a boy and went to Eagle. Was a Scout camp counselor every summer.

She's a whiz with ropes and that is quite beneficial in some of our... play.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
............ There are some good things that the kids can learn in BoyScouts.
Scout program used be be a super program. A lot depends on the leaders and parents though. Seems it's faded. All those self reliant skills have lost glitz in the current culture. And they never instituted a Neediness badge ?
But of course they HAD to keep the Religion. Maybe that's what sank the ship ?

GS
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundedSpirit View Post
Scout program used be be a super program. A lot depends on the leaders and parents though. Seems it's faded. All those self reliant skills have lost glitz in the current culture. And they never instituted a Neediness badge ?
But of course they HAD to keep the Religion. Maybe that's what sank the ship ?

GS
EVERYTHING depends on the parents and the leaders. The biggest problems arrise when a group is church run. The LDS groups are famous for having leaders that really don't want to be there, they are there because that's where they have been told to "serve". They are also the groups that most often "forget" to get their leaders the required training.

Most groups that are Non-Church run, practicing a religon is encouraged but not primary, nor are they supposed to dictate which religon is to be practiced.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 PM

As a Cub Scout leader my self I know there is still a lot of great things for boys to learn. This year last year was the 100th birthday for scouting. They have re done our scouting books and change some things up a little. It seems to be focusing mainly on respect, decisions and knowledge. As a leader I can do all kinds of great things with the boys in that one hour a week, but with out the parents support it is hard to get everything done. I have a younger group and can't wait for them to get to the point where they are doing really cool stuff. A good foundation is needed in any part of our lives so that is what we are doing now.

The truth is there just isn't the support for the kids to learn this type of stuff any more. Peoples lives are too busy to take their kids to scouts an hour a week.

Tags
baden-powell, scout