Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEcondary View Post
Sometime they end up loving someone more that their existing partner. Is English your second language or don't you just get it? The few women I have talked to about it agree. Love is not always the same strength.
Oh, now your wording was more clear.

I really cannot think of love as something that comes in an AMOUNT like more or less, or a strength. When I love someone, I love them. Period. There is no quantifying of an energy like that, for me. I cannot fathom it. I might know someone more well or share more intimately with someone, but love doesn't fit into a quantity and I feel like it belittles the feelings one has for someone when we try and categorize love that way.

I've never felt comfortable with the idea of saying "I love you very much" or that some people say "I love you more than you love me." Love is. The feelings can fade in my memory of a long-ago lover, but the love just is. Equal or more or less doesn't make any sense to me. Love is love - but I don't know what being a woman has to do with your line of reasoning.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 06-13-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Oh, I really cannot think of love as something that comes in an AMOUNT like more or less. When I love someone, I love them. Period. There is no quantifying of an energy like that, for me. I cannot fathom it. I've never felt comfortable with the idea of saying "I love you very much" or that some people say "I love you more than you love me." Love is. The feelings can fade in my memory of a long-ago lover, but the love just is. Equal or more or less doesn't make any sense to me. Love is love - but I don't know what being a woman has to do with your line of reasoning.
If you read my post I said I relate and talk about women because I am a man and married to a woman. I know what it is like for a man.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Okay, then I hope you realize there will be other women who also feel that love cannot be quantified.

Quote:
I know what it is like for a man.
You know what it is like for YOU. Though you are a man, you certainly cannot speak for every man out there. Nor can I speak for every woman. My view of love is my own.

The ability, or inability, to see love as something that can be more, less, or equal is not based solely on a person's gender or sex. Other factors also play a part.

"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 06-13-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I've never felt comfortable with the idea of saying "I love you very much" or that some people say "I love you more than you love me." Love is. The feelings can fade in my memory of a long-ago lover, but the love just is. Equal or more or less doesn't make any sense to me. Love is love - but I don't know what being a woman has to do with your line of reasoning.

It's partly because we only have one word for love. We love our pets, we love our children, we love our friends, family. Oh, and we love our lovers.

So we love our lovers very much.

Right now, I need to love me some coffee.
Stakes - very intimate friend
Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 PM

Default IMHO-nope

Love isn't equal because every relationship is different.
They are build on different foundations and require different things.
if you try to make them equal you are not living the relationship but have made them a competition with each other.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westVan View Post
Love isn't equal because every relationship is different.
They are build on different foundations and require different things.
if you try to make them equal you are not living the relationship but have made them a competition with each other.
Yes. My wife say she loves him as much as she loves me. I think sometimes she loves him more than me which is good. Partly because making love with him is much better that it ever was with me and when all three of us are together someone would easily thing he was her husband and would have the impression the she loved him more.I have heard husbands say they don't put a limit on how much their wives love there boyfriends. Just so it does not interfere with their marriage. This is how I think it should be. Unless the husband is insecure about it.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Yes. My wife say she loves him as much as she loves me. I think sometimes she loves him more than me which is good.
So, you refuse to believe her?

Quote:
Partly because making love with him is much better that it ever was with me and when all three of us are together someone would easily thing he was her husband and would have the impression the she loved him more.
Ah, so it seems that you imagine "how much" someone is in love to be equal to how good the sex is. What about people who don't have sex anymore but still love each other? Like after Christopher Reeve became paralyzed, he couldn't have sex with his wife Dana anymore, but they still loved each other. Do you think if she had been having sex and enjoying herself with a bf, that she would naturally love her bf more than she loved Chris Reeve?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
So, you refuse to believe her?

Ah, so it seems that you imagine "how much" someone is in love to be equal to how good the sex is. What about people who don't have sex anymore but still love each other? Like after Christopher Reeve became paralyzed, he couldn't have sex with his wife Dana anymore, but they still loved each other. Do you think if she had been having sex and enjoying herself with a bf, that she would naturally love her bf more than she loved Chris Reeve?

It would totally depend on the dick:dick size-ratio factor.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 PM

I really wish our language didn't intermingle one word to describe mind-blowing sexual connection and an emotional entanglement.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
I really wish our language didn't intermingle one word to describe mind-blowing sexual connection and an emotional entanglement.
which word is that? i can't figure it out. help me please.