Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 07-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Official Greeter

Grounded is good. Says this plain vanilla atheist.

Can I ask, do you feel that there is a distance, a gulf, a barrier of sorts between your mom and you? I am just curious; I know my relationship with my parents is a riddle.

I don't know about others, but I like handling attraction by approaching whoever I'm attracted to with an "offer of platonic friendship" and if they accept, cool; who knows if it might lead somewhere (and if it doesn't that's okay too). I find that I myself tend to be more attracted to people I like and know well. [shrug] Just another angle on the subject.

Sounds like your retreat was enjoyable. I liked hearing about it.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:16 PM

@kdt, yes, I would say there is a bit of gulf between my mom and I. I don't feel like I 'know' my mom and I believe that's in part because my mom may not know herself fully, or be willing to show that to others. But I know I am loved by her - I've never doubted that. I would like to really get to know my mom but have no idea how to do that.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Official Greeter

Sounds like she is too much in the habit of protecting herself to really open up to anyone. After so many years of not telling anyone who you are, perhaps you forget who you are.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:14 AM

@kdt, I suspect this may be true about my mom. I hope it is not unalterable.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Official Greeter

Fingers crossed.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:08 PM

In the 'when it rains, it pours' category, after not getting any interest in the world of online dating, I'm on a bit of a roll. Had a few dates -including one where I thought it went well but never heard a peep again which I talked about in another thread - and a few where the person was perfectly pleasant and interesting but no physical chemistry at all. Still it's been fun. I like the sense of possibility dating has, even if that possibility is often quickly dashed by reality.

I have an interesting date coming up soon - with a man who is a farrier. That wins for most interesting job by a date for me. Looking forward to that and seeing how it goes.

And, a couple I am good friends with seem to have asked me out on a date. The wife recently asked if all three of us could get together for dinner. There's been some very mild flirting with the husband - who is a flirt in general and so I didn't think anything of it - and I recently found out that they are not monogamous. They seem to be into the 'date together' model so I am not sure if what I can offer matches up with what they can offer. But, still flattered and turned on.

On totally different note, I ran into Whip at a party recently. First time I've seen him since we broke up. It was fine, no drama or anything, but also weird. I realized that I had spent a lot of time with this man and now, I find I have little to talk about with him. Strange.

Last edited by opalescent; 08-30-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:41 AM

Also, there is the possibility of a FWB situation developing with a man I met at a party a few weeks ago. We've been chatting on Fet and will be at the same event soon. Looking forward to seeing where that goes.

Good times!
Old 08-30-2014, 02:48 AM
Official Greeter

Glad to hear the good news.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM

So I misread the situation with the couple. The wife had some questions about sexuality and I am the only 'alternative sexuality' person they know. I am really flattered they felt comfortable enough to bring up some personal issues they were going through with me. And I am also really embarrassed at how badly I misread what was going on.

Ah well. Still got the farrier and FWB guy to look forward to!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:08 AM

Lately I've been wondering if I am more straight than pan or bisexual. I don't feel straight but I haven't been in a relationship with a woman since Beaker and have not had sex with a woman in a number of years. I just don't have much desire for women right now and that has been true for a while. So mulling that over.

It's not a drama particularly. More of an interesting question for me to think about. I'm fine either way.

Still want more sex in my life though.

Oh, farrier guy didn't pan out nor did possible FWB dude. Ah well. At least I've met a farrier now!

Last edited by opalescent; 10-08-2014 at 03:10 AM. Reason: more info!