Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 07:13 PM

Default Polyamorous Parenting Strategies: Survey Enclosed

Hello all!

I don't want to pry, but I am doing a research paper for my class on polyamorous families with children and parenting techniques, and their benefit to monogamous/"conventional" families and parents. I just wanted to know if you had any strategies you employ in parenting, whether for dealing with:

~stigma felt by children and adults
~partners with whom children may have bonded leaving the family
~communication
~conflict resolution with children
~coming out to children
~sexual education

I feel that a lot of the ways in which polyamorous parents implement communication skills they have learned in relating to each other and the world in general can related to both queer and non-queer monogamous parents, and that interaction between the two (whenever possible) can be helpful. So if you could share, that would be absolutely amazing!

(The survey has been deleted.)

Last edited by Muri91; 05-26-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muri91 View Post
Hello all!

I don't want to pry, but I am doing a research paper for my class on polyamorous families with children and parenting techniques, and their benefit to monogamous/"conventional" families and parents. I just wanted to know if you had any strategies you employ in parenting, whether for dealing with:

~stigma felt by children and adults
~partners with whom children may have bonded leaving the family
~communication
~conflict resolution with children
~coming out to children
~sexual education

I feel that a lot of the ways in which polyamorous parents implement communication skills they have learned in relating to each other and the world in general can related to both queer and non-queer monogamous parents, and that interaction between the two (whenever possible) can be helpful. So if you could share, that would be absolutely amazing!

I also have a survey on Surveymonkey.com that it would be wonderful for you to take if you have the time! I tried to make it short. If you do nothing else, please please take it!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/X7V5PLR
It is appropriate for you to introduce yourself with your full/real name, name of your school, which class it is, and whether this is for undergraduate course work (not likely, since the Spring semester just ended and Summer school hasn't started yet, unless you go to one of those schools with a weird schedule where it uses "quarters") or a graduate/masters/PhD thesis... in which case you should know that most schools have an established procedure for using "human subjects" in one's research (which is a lot more specific than posting an anonymous message on a forum with a link to Survey Monkey.

Just trying to help you succeed in your academic career... Can't do your survey because I don't have any children. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:02 AM

I am SO SORRY! I was not taught research methods at all and I should have looked them up in much more detail before asking.

My name is Charles Bowden and I am a student at the University of CA, Davis. This class is called University Writing Program/UWP 101, section 20, taught by Raquel Scherr, and it's essentially a composition class with a lot of freedom in writing topics. I am an undergraduate in Psychology with a Biology Emphasis, and we do use the quarter system.

All I can do, I suppose, is assure anyone who feels comfortable volunteering that all information shared will be fully confidential, ie no locations, occupations, forum names, real names, or other identifying characteristics specified as unacceptable will be given. I will not be allowing any publication of this paper--it will be peer-reviewed by my fellow students, however, and of course handed to my professor.

If there are any other questions or concerns, please please PM or publicly post to me. I am extremely sorry for presuming that people would feel comfortable giving information on such a sensitive topic without identifying information from me.

Thanks again,
Charles

Tags
children, family, parenting, polyamorous parenting