Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM

In not a totally related situation I have lesbian friends in a relationship, one whom had a child from a previous relationship. He calls his birth mom Mama and her partner "my bonus mom". I think kids just figure out what they want to call the adults in their lives.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 AM

all of our kids call maca dad and call me mom.
They all have "mother/child" like relationships with Mimi-they generally call her Mimi or Auntie, rarely by her given name, BUT-they will tell other people she is their "second mom".

They all call GG "uncle" or his given name ended with "ey".

Even the youngest who is biologically his child.

Last edited by NeonKaos; 01-04-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 AM

I'm an "aunt" to a lot of kids in my life. My brother and his wife chose to have my niece call our cousins and their wives "aunt and uncle". But as far as in the poly world. I don't know that I would be okay with my kids calling Cricket mom. But Aunt doesnt seem significant.

I would think maybe something from another language. My niece was getting confused as she has a great gma, and 2 gmas. My mom doesnt like gram or grammy, but that is what my niece calls her grt gma and it led to all kinds of confusion. So they started working with her to use yaya (greek for gma).

Karma and I have talked about Oma and Opa (german). So I would consider Muter, or Mutie for my kids to call Cricket. Same meaning, different word.

Since the kids are/will be so young, I think it's all about comfort for all involved. But it will be up to you to coach whatever word choice is most comfortable.