Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 02:19 AM
Banned

I look at it like this: I would not put my mouth where my father or mother's cock or pussy has been... especially not recently. If I had a kid, then vice-versa as well. Even if they used a condom. Even if they took a bath or shower. That's just me. Not trying to speak for anyone else.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
The age difference is no big deal, really. It's the fact that he is or was your daughter's lover (think about it: his penis - in your daughter, then in you; in your daughter, then in you; repeat) that makes us all freak out and say "DON'T!!!"
Cindie, I am not freaking out, and I don't like having words put in my mouth, or emotions chosen for me.

If it's not the age difference, what is it? How often have we heard of a certain guy dating a girl for a while, but there are no real sparks, so they break up, but somewhere along the way, this guy's brother falls hard for the girl and vice versa, and they end up together (with or without the first brother's blessing)?

So, why not mother/daughter? If it isn't the age difference involved, what is it?
Sorry, Mags! I wrote that in a hurry and should have been more careful - no, not all of us are freaking out, and perhaps none of us are. I recall actually struggling a bit with how to put my thoughts into words - I almost wrote that the scenario had "a lot of us squicked" but, knowing that the OP is in the UK, I wasn't sure if squicked would be a familiar term, so I said we were "all freaking out," which was, of course, just a silly way to say something because I can't speak for "all" of us, anyway. My apologies!

As far as figuring out the "what" in "what is bothering us" about this - I think it's purely the parental relationship. I have had two instances in my life where my sister and I were dating the same guy. And yes, we were both having sex with them (but never at the same time!), so I would have to say it's the mother issue.

But it is an interesting ethical question. Why did so many people feel disgusted when Woody Allen hooked up with Soon Yi? I saw the two of them walking in the city once, holding hands, about a year after that whole thing blew over, and she had such a self-satisfied look on her face, like, "Yeah, I got what I wanted" - whether that was really about grabbing onto Woody or sticking it to Mia Farrow, who knows, but I remember being a little surprised at how confident and self-assured Soon Yi seemed. Not meek or a push over at all. Everyone had an opinion about that situation and it seems that a majority of people felt that even though he was not a biological parent, and she may have been older than her birth certificate stated, he never should have gone there. But when I saw the two of them together in the streets of NYC, they seemed so happy and so right for each other, though we would likely think of them as a very odd couple! So, I didn't know what conclusion to make!

But the OP being with the bf of her own bio daughter is different than a stepparent
relationship, I feel. An ick factor is built-in, to imagine a mother and daughter being with the same lover.

To the OP, also to clarify, when I wrote "penis in daughter, then you" and the "repeat," I wasn't implying that the young man would go back and forth between the two of you. I meant it only as a way of saying "think about that again and again and again and again." I know it was a crude way to put it, but that's just how I think sometimes.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Banned

Default It sounded to me like she felt free

to mention her thoughts casually, like two friends might talk in private over a casual dinner where they say things they wouldn't say in front of anybody but "just the girls". I didn't get the impression she was thinking about the guy fucking her daughter and then walking down the hallway and fucking her.

I am sure she isn't the first mother to tell another person a similar story, like if your kid came home for week during spring break while in college and brought along the person they were currently seeing who just happened to be very attractive, then later at breakfast with her friends mentions how the boyfriend flirting with her really turned her on. Maybe even mentioned what she would have done if he wasn't her daughter's boyfriend?

Except he isn't her boyfriend, he is her FWB, but it sounds like she also hasn't done anything.

And no offense, but there even with your disclaimors of what would make it OK, a few of you still have a tone that I might take as being attacked. I am sure you feel differently about it, but I didn't read anything in her post that led me to believe she would stab her daughter in the back, or act in any of the ways mentioned in comments that were described like a reprehensible act.

If anything it sounded like she felt safe enough to casually throw out her first thoughts, or knee jerk reactions to being hit on by a guy she would be very into if her daughter was not somehow involved.

I think it's good that people feel comfortable enough to post those thoughts that might not have traveled full circle through to well thought out and rational. Those first thoughts may not always be the same once the do go full circle, but it you pound them into the ground because the are just first thoughts, it may prevent people from throwing those thoughts out there, which may seriously hinder other sites that might use posts here as content.

That is, if this is even one of the sites that gets crawled/trolled for content, but if it is, maybe we could cut them a little slack, after all, some sites haven't had anything really worth saying for months now, and having to read through a hundred pages to come to that conclusion isn't good.

But all that aside, it would be nice if the OP felt comfortable enough to let us know the rest of the story later, who knows, maybe her daughter had more feelings for her least favorite pair of shoes she only wears because they were a gift from a friend. Maybe she has been looking for someone to pawn the shoes off on, maybe even beg the OP to please take the pair of shoes so she can be done with them.

Of course, what I have to say about it doesn't mean shit either, but here it is, posted, grammatical errors and all

Last edited by Dirtclustit; 04-28-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo, and edited to remove the names of sites that might troll
Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
- I almost wrote that the scenario had "a lot of us squicked" but, knowing that the OP is in the UK, I wasn't sure if squicked would be a familiar term,
It is.

Quote:
As far as figuring out the "what" in "what is bothering us" about this - I think it's purely the parental relationship.
There is a HUGE difference in my eyes, personally I still wouldn't want to date an ex of my sisters but that is by the by, but my mother's ex? No. One wonders what sort of fetishisation goes in the mind of the person who pursues a parent of an ex anyway? It is a bit gross if you ask me, you wonder if they would be comparing you to your kid.....

Quote:
majority of people felt that even though he was not a biological parent, and she may have been older than her birth certificate stated, he never should have gone there.
I think he helped raise her (or maybe even actively raised her) since childhood also as Allen got with Mia Farrow when she was about 10. And he was sleeping with her at least nine years later, (at least that was when their affair was discovered by Farrow).
Of course he is happy though, he is decrepit and has a wife half his age. Who is almost guaranteed to have been a virgin when they got together because he was her stepfather! ...I still think he is disgusting, whether he is biologically related or not (and FYI, I am not automatically against incest anyway, depends on the context) to me there is an abuse of power situation at play in many of these situations and in the OP situation, I think there is a slightly competitive issue at work here, a flattery that she can get the same age bloke as her 19 year old daughter, which I think is character issue that should be worked through, rather than talk about how hard it is to get over her crush. Call me a hard case (I do) but I think a short sharp shock is appropriate.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Banned

Default Listening to a little too much Pink Floyd?

cause unless that is desired and explicitly consented to by fully knowledgeable adults by their freewill to decide, that could be construed as abuse, Dig it?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtclustit View Post
cause unless that is desired and explicitly consented to by fully knowledgeable adults by their freewill to decide, that could be construed as abuse, Dig it?
What? No, I do not dig what you are saying here.

I think it's different when marriage or a long term relationship (such as the Allen/Farrow one) is involved. Woody hooked up with his own step-daughter. He'd known her as his gf's little girl and ended up fucking her.

In this case, the young man in question is a FWB of her daughter. He is not her son-in-law. I guess if I were the mom here, I'd bring up to him, "There seems to be a definite attraction between us here. But you're my daughter's FWB." And ask him about HIS ethics around it. Perhaps he is feeling a certain fetishistic pleasure, to be romantically/sexually involved with a young woman and her mother. But maybe not. If his feelings are stronger for the mom than the daughter, maybe it would be ethical to stop having sex with the daughter altogether. And then, see what happens with the relationship with onewayward.

(BTW, the 21 year old I've been chatting with? I wrote to him saying we could have one romantic date, if that is a fantasy of his. Since he's been talking about art with me, I suggested, how about meeting at this certain museum that also has lovely outdoor sculpture gardens, walk and talk in the May sunshine, and then a drink afterward? He wrote back to say his life is too busy and disorganized to have a full day to go to a museum with me! Then he implied all he wanted to do was talk and have sex... Oy.

I wrote back jut now, telling him I don't fuck on the first date, and what the heck is he doing that he is too busy to spend half a day with me? I know he only works Fri, Sat and Sunday.

I guess maybe he thought he could just come to my place, talk for an hour and then get to the shagging? That's "romantic?" lol)
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 61) loving miss pixi (poly, F, 39) since January 2009, living together since 2013
also loving Punk (42, M) since Oct 2015 (he has recently downgraded us to friends)
"Master," (mono, 34), miss pixi's Dom for 2 years
Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 PM

It's not the age difference that drives my 'Don't go there' advice. (Dating someone 15 year's younger.) It's the current involvement with your daughter, even if casual. And it's not the visceral dick in her, then you, then back again mental picture. (Thanks cindie! I do know that's not what you meant exactly. But that's what I saw in my head.)

It's the potential damage to your daughter that drives my thoughts on this. It sounds like you have an open and honest relationship with her and that's awesome. The reason is that as her mom you are not exactly on a level playing field with your daughter. What if you bring this situation to her and because she loves you, knows the situation with you and her dad, she feels unable to say 'no'? Are you helping her financially or with health insurance? That is another reason she may feel pushed to agree. Our parents reach deep into our psyches and that hold doesn't ever fully go away. And if healthy that tie should not go away fully. But our parents can hurt us in ways no other people can. At 19 - newbie adult closer to childhood than adulthood - she is especially vulnerable. She is learning how to be an adult now. It's time for you to step up and continue to show her how to be a healthy adult by leaving the hottie FWB alone.

And by maybe revisiting this later on, I don't mean waiting for their connection to end or wait for your daughter to be older and then leap in. There will still be the same concerns - you could still hurt her as badly at 30 about this as at 19. But as she ages and the relationship fades into time, it is possible that she would be ok with you pursuing the ex. But that is a HUGE maybe. Don't put into your psyche that you will just bide your time and wait. Move on completely instead of holding onto a fantasy 'what if?'.

Otherwise I totally support your cougar ways. Go you!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:18 PM

This discussion intrigues me no end, as it shows a limit of tolerance for or acceptance of consensual relationships.

Suppose we could take the questions of honesty and of consent off the table altogether, for a moment. Assume everyone involved - mother, father, daughter, FWB - knows everything they need to know about the situation, and that all consent to an arrangement whereby the mother and daughter are both having sex with the FWB . . . though not at the same time.

On this supposition, there would be no betrayal or back-stabbing involved, no dishonesty, no cheating by very straightforward poly standards.

Now, what's objectionable about the arrangement?

For many, the objection seems to be that it comes uncomfortably close to a deep and persistent taboo against parents having sex with their own children. Except this isn't about the mother having sex with the daughter, but an odd kind of sex by proxy, as if physical contact with the daughter might leave some metaphysical residue on the penis of the young man in question that would then be transferred to the mother if she were to have sex with the young man.

But would we think that way about any other relationship?

I've always thought that one of the great things about being poly is that it helps me to rid my mind of vestiges of traditional patriarchy, including the idea that sex necessarily generates a kind of metaphysical pollution on body and soul . . . which is what lies behind the idea of adultery, in which the metaphysical purity of a man's chattel-wife is sullied or polluted by contact with the penis of another man.

I seem to have shed that idea in my relationship with my wife. I don't think her boyfriend has left any of his essence behind, such that I am having sex with him by proxy when I'm having sex with her. There may be a risk of STI, of course, but 1) we're taking appropriate measures to reduce risk of exposure to those and, 2) those are a function of infection by pathogens, not by essence-of-boyfriend.

I'd have to ask her, but I'm supposing my wife would say much the same thing about the relationship I had last year: she does not think of herself as having had sex-by-proxy with another woman.

Even so, many contributors to this thread have written one or another variant of the following: "Ew! Ew! Ew! His penis was in your daughter and you want it in you! Ew! Ew! Ew!"

I get that. I'm a bit squicked out by the idea myself. But I have to ask: Why, exactly?

I can only conclude that as the situation described more closely approximates incest - though everyone seems to acknowledge that it isn't incest, not really - ancient notions of sex-as-transfer-of-essence, sex-as-metaphysical-pollution seem to resurface.

Maybe that's appropriate. Maybe the taboo is well enough established that we want to keep a wide security perimeter around it, so we don't even get close to it.

That said, it seems we should at least recognize the oddness of this reaction, which seems to be against the run of play in poly discussions.

In any case, I still think honesty and consent are paramount considerations in a situation like this. The taboo is just an especially steep barrier to consent, perhaps.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
This discussion intrigues me no end, as it shows a limit of tolerance for or acceptance of consensual relationships.
I don't have time to read your whole post right now, so I will quickly just respond to this:

I think I've observed that when people speak of "tolerance" and "acceptance", there follows an assumption that they think it should be a crime or something to engage in whatever activity.

Let me say right now that just because I don't agree with certain things, doesn't mean that I think it should be illegal or even socially unacceptable. If a family of mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousins, grandparents, etc. are all "consenting adults" (whatever that means on the day), then it's FINE by me if they all get naked together and penetrate each other's orifices until the cows come home. I will still have my opinion that it's not OK, but if it doesn't involve me, and everyone is happy, and my taxes are not going to pay for some genetically fucked-up kid that results from an inbred pregnancy, then please do organize as many family orgies as your schedule permits. Just make sure that you warn any innocent bystanders who might get sucked into your dynamic before they realize what's really happening up in there. (ETA: that was the general "you" not "you" as in a specific individual on this forum)

brb

Last edited by BoringGuy; 04-28-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM

@hyperskeptic, I sketch out above why I think this is not a good idea. It's not incest ickiness once removed.

It's about a potentially unequal situation right now. I do think parents and children can grow into being on a more level field. At that point, if the daughter believes it would not hurt her or damage her relationship with her parents if her mom saw an ex, I think it is ethical. But given the age of the daughter and that they are still in an FWB relationship, the odds are strongly stacked against this scenario playing out in a way that ends well for anyone and could cause lasting and deep damage.