Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 PM

curves, curves , curves. I love women with curves. My ladies are very different body types, both have a little extra, and the only thing i would change about either one of them is there self image. they are both concerned about how others see them and my telling them there are sexy has fallen on deaf ears in the past.

Now that we are all together its more difficult for them to ignore when I say they are sexy because i have back up. in another post a comment was made that " when one person tells you your a ass you can ignore it, when two people tell you, its harder to ignore" this works in a positive way as well.

slowly my ladies are coming to the realization that they are fine looking women and are extremely desirable. I'm worried I may have to start carrying a stick around to scare off all the suitors.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 AM

Default Swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Well, I don't know how younger people use it, and don't really care, as the word never fell into disuse for me. I meant the way he struts, but I did use it as a noun, which means a swaggering manner. As a verb, it means the way someone walks. I am a writer (and former spelling bee champion! Woo-hoo) who helps tutor college kids in English, so I am aware of the words I use.
I got a buddy whose got swagger. He even swaggers when he staggers. He's shown me the real meaning of the word, the one Funk and Wagnall know nothing about. Swagger is a state of feeling. To swagger, is a state of being. Kind of like what Townes Van Zandt said about feeling lonely and being alone.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I got a buddy whose got swagger. He even swaggers when he staggers. He's shown me the real meaning of the word, the one Funk and Wagnall know nothing about. Swagger is a state of feeling. To swagger, is a state of being. Kind of like what Townes Van Zandt said about feeling lonely and being alone.
This would be an incorrect use of the word. A person's swagger, is the way they walk. Not the way the present themselves, or a state of feeling, as you put it. That would be the NEW meaning of the old word.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL4everu2 View Post
This would be an incorrect use of the word. A person's swagger, is the way they walk. Not the way the present themselves, or a state of feeling, as you put it. That would be the NEW meaning of the old word.
Sorry, but you are mistaken. In my hardcopy Third Edition of the American Heritage Dictionary, last reprinted 15 years ago in 1996, the definitions of swagger are below:

swag·ger (swăg' ər) v. -gered, -ger·ring, -gers. —intr. 1. To walk or conduct oneself with an insolent or arrogant air; strut. See Synonyms at strut. 2. To brag or boast. —tr. To browbeat or bully (someone). —swagger n. 1. A swaggering movement or gait. 2. Boastful or conceited expression; braggadocio. [Probably frequentative of SWAG] —swag'gerer n. —swag-geringly adv.
It is not just about a way of walking, and has long had multiple meanings, that are still used today.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Sorry, but you are mistaken. In my hardcopy Third Edition of the American Heritage Dictionary, last reprinted 15 years ago in 1996, the definitions of swagger are below:

swag·ger (swăg' ər) v. -gered, -ger·ring, -gers. —intr. 1. To walk or conduct oneself with an insolent or arrogant air; strut. See Synonyms at strut. 2. To brag or boast. —tr. To browbeat or bully (someone). —swagger n. 1. A swaggering movement or gait. 2. Boastful or conceited expression; braggadocio. [Probably frequentative of SWAG] —swag'gerer n. —swag-geringly adv.
It is not just about a way of walking, and has long had multiple meanings, that are still used today.
Last reprinted 15 years ago. New meaning of an old word.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Just because it was printed 15 yrs ago doesnt mean swagger as defined as braggadocio is a new meaning! lol

Now, frenemy is a new word. Also fairly new are the new meanings of twitter and tweet, gate rape, asshat, douchenozzle, da bomb, dope, bling, woot, good china, gangsta, youtube, beyotch, fuckbuddy, sike (psych), shizz or shizznit, bro, brosef, gay (meaning not cool), fundie, mofo, and dozens more.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
Old 01-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Quote:
Just because it was printed 15 yrs ago doesnt mean swagger as defined as braggadocio is a new meaning! lol

Yes, I didn't quite follow that logic either. Just because something appeared in a dictionary 15 years ago doesn't mean it never existed before that. It just means that it is AT LEAST 15 years old, which in turn means that it was not invented by people who are in a certain age group today, and that it pre-dates things like Wikipedia and Twitter.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:02 PM

of interest to this poly community may be a quote from my old cross country coach and geometry (polygon) teacher:

"You have to be good enough to be a little arrogant, and arrogant enough to know that you are good."

In a word, swagger.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
of interest to this poly community may be a quote from my old cross country coach and geometry (polygon) teacher:

Yes, but HOW "old"? Was this before or after 1996?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 PM

Welcome to the English language folks. Lots of words have multiple meanings and have for hundreds of years, get over it already.

Tags
dating, image, sexiness, stereotypes