Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 07:28 PM

It doesn't look overly active in my area, but yup, its still there .
Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 PM

Yes, PMM is back up and running! They were down for a year or so doing upgrades, etc. but they've been back for about two years now.

You can find me there as Breathes_girl or Steph_n_robin although I use Breathes_girl a lot more often.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:01 AM

Default OKCupid was great for me.

After being on OkCupid for a few weeks and experiencing weird situations, like being matched with one of my professors, I was ready to give up on it.

Right before I did, though, I saw a profile of a man who was poly. I messaged him because of our shared interest in an author. He is married and had a girlfriend, so there wasn't a lot of pressure. It was nice because I had never been in a poly relationship. He and I chatted for some time as friends. It was a lot of fun.

After he and his girlfriend broke up, we started talking about the possibility of dating. It was nice because I had been given plenty of time to get used to the idea. To this day, things between us are wonderful.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:29 PM

I've been on okc for about 2 years. I met my current partner there about 3 weeks after I joined. She's a woman and women rarely message me. So it was funny about how I hooked up with her:

A few days after I joined okc, a 39 year old bi woman from Holland messaged me. She was intrigued that I was older (53 at the time), newly separated from my husband, but open, kinky, and poly. She spent months trying to set me up with this or that woman or couple. None of those people worked out.

But the first person she led me to was my gf. She kept bugging gf to message me and after a week or so, gf did. We clicked like mad, and after a week or so of PMs and IMs, we met. It was practically love at first sight.

I'm in Eastern Mass and there are lots of poly people here. I've also dated about 2 dozen men from okc with varying degrees of success. I've got one young man I meet with about once a month for sex and a few laughs. He's a delight.

Unlike most women, I do message men who interest me. That's how I got my boytoy. I'm still looking for Mr Right tho, a poly guy, either single or already in a relationship, who wants friendship, and sex, and likes to do activities outside of the bedroom, and someone who I would like to introduce to my kids and gf.

Maybe you should move to a city that is more poly friendly?
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

There's no lying in polyamory!

I'm a 58 year old woman with 2 partners:
miss pixi, my live-in gf, 36 (together since Jan '09)
Ginger, bf, 61, married, lives nearby (together since Jan '12)
Old 12-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Default OkC

My husband and I are both on OkCupid... I have had plenty of interest (mostly requests for casual sex, which don't go anywhere) and met my boyfriend on the site pretty quickly. My husband has not had luck finding women okay with poly and I think it's really frustrating him. So, I feel your pain!

On OkCupid, you can do a search when looking for matches and search for keyword "poly" or "polyamory," etc. to get results of people who have listed those terms in their profile.

I haven't heard of Lavalife either, so I'm interested to try it out! Also, polymatchmaker doesn't seem to have a large or very active population, so that was a bit of a dud.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post

Oh, and BTW, I'm interested in seeing if poly works for me, and joined OKC to meet poly men, but I don't mention the words poly or polyamorous in my OKC profile. Women do have to be more cautious. There may be a chick on OKC for you, but it's just harder to find them.
As a poly guy located just outside of NYC who uses OKC I have a quick question.

If you don't mention poly or polyamorous in your profile, how will someone who is looking specifically for poly people find you?
Old 12-24-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaBum23 View Post
As a poly guy located just outside of NYC who uses OKC I have a quick question.

If you don't mention poly or polyamorous in your profile, how will someone who is looking specifically for poly people find you?
I do mention being Poly in my profile -- but I have found that most of the folks who match at the higher percentages to me have answered the questions about mony/poly the same way that I have...
Old 12-24-2010, 02:33 PM

OKC is rather stale around here, too. Have you tried Plenty of Fish? That's where I met BF. DH and I met on Lavalife, but I believe you have to pay to contact people.

DH has yet to have anything really pan out, and he's been actively looking for about 6 months. I went on and got tons of messages. Mine were quantity, not quality, though.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
OKC is rather stale around here, too. Have you tried Plenty of Fish? That's where I met BF. DH and I met on Lavalife, but I believe you have to pay to contact people.

DH has yet to have anything really pan out, and he's been actively looking for about 6 months. I went on and got tons of messages. Mine were quantity, not quality, though.
This will be true of any dating site. Women will get WAY more messages than men.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:48 PM

POF I got over ten messages a day from men sho just wanted to fuck me... la la la... took a lot of wading through and patience. I met Mono there though. He just wanted to fuck me too, but for some reason I was extra patient for him... go figure, it worked!

Tags
dating, dating sites, internet, online dating