Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
I've thought about maybe giving myself routine. I've never enjoyed routine, which is why I don't go by one anymore. But it seems to work for people. I'm just not sure about how I could, whilst still maintaining happiness with it. I don't even like sleeping at the same time every night. I just go when I'm tired.
What if you start small? Using the bedtime example, instead of saying you'll go to bed at 11 every night, you could instead say that you'll be in bed by midnight every say, Monday and Wednesday.

Once you've adjusted to that, increase the number of days gradually.

Again, the bedtime is only an example, but no one says all the changes need to be made at once.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
What if you start small? Using the bedtime example, instead of saying you'll go to bed at 11 every night, you could instead say that you'll be in bed by midnight every say, Monday and Wednesday.

Once you've adjusted to that, increase the number of days gradually.

Again, the bedtime is only an example, but no one says all the changes need to be made at once.
Yeah. I think that is one of the last things I'd want to change though haha. I keep telling myself I should practise my instrument more often. Having it out of my case and next to my amp has helped a little, but I still don't learn enough new material. I keep going over things I already know well enough.
=]
Old 01-17-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
Yeah. I think that is one of the last things I'd want to change though haha. I keep telling myself I should practise my instrument more often. Having it out of my case and next to my amp has helped a little, but I still don't learn enough new material. I keep going over things I already know well enough.
What about saying that you'll spend five minutes on something new when you practice?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
What about saying that you'll spend five minutes on something new when you practice?
I shall. Even if it's just a little section of a song or something that I will just repeat over til I get it perfect. I think it might be a good place to start.
=]
Old 01-17-2011, 04:58 AM

Just go outside. Really. That's how things happen. Go scrub the civilization out from under your fingernails.

When you first considered that possessiveness and control were less than useful in relating to other people and their lives, did you not also consider that the same thing applied to your relationship with yourself? Work for it, yes, but resist the temptation to think that you will ever get want you want by lusting after it. Go outside, where you can be heard, out there in the physical world somewhere, and tell the Universe what you want. If the Universe doesn't know what it is that you want, it can't give it to you.

Music and Film? Absolutely strive to find an academic program that looks promising, but don't lose sight of the fact that music and films are made everyday, on the street, by real people, not just formally trained, degree wielding persons. Go outside, lick your finger, hold it up to the wind, identitfy which way it's blowing, and start walking in that direction. See what happens. Be open to it.

It's like trying to focus on something in the dark or at dusk: If you look just to the left or right of what you want to see, you see it more clearly than trying to stare directly at it.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Just go outside. Really. That's how things happen. Go scrub the civilization out from under your fingernails.

When you first considered that possessiveness and control were less than useful in relating to other people and their lives, did you not also consider that the same thing applied to your relationship with yourself? Work for it, yes, but resist the temptation to think that you will ever get want you want by lusting after it. Go outside, where you can be heard, out there in the physical world somewhere, and tell the Universe what you want. If the Universe doesn't know what it is that you want, it can't give it to you.

Music and Film? Absolutely strive to find an academic program that looks promising, but don't lose sight of the fact that music and films are made everyday, on the street, by real people, not just formally trained, degree wielding persons. Go outside, lick your finger, hold it up to the wind, identitfy which way it's blowing, and start walking in that direction. See what happens. Be open to it.

It's like trying to focus on something in the dark or at dusk: If you look just to the left or right of what you want to see, you see it more clearly than trying to stare directly at it.
I enjoy reading your words. A lot. My uncle said the same thing to me last month. Just to push myself out there and see where it takes me. I don't have any experience with that though. I'll try it though.
=]
Old 01-17-2011, 06:12 PM

Default Shine.

Somegeezer,

When I teach at the university or college level, where I must hand out grades for performance, I tell my students one thing in particular on the first day:

"I have no interest in chasing a bunch of other adults around, telling them what they should or should not be doing. That is not my job. If you desire to be educated, to learn, to take risks, and to grow your soul, show up, and I will teach you everything I know. For the things I do not know, I will be the first to say so, and we can learn it together. But you must be here, participating, for anything of value to happen. It's your life, your education, and your money. It's your choice."

Don't try.

Do.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Somegeezer,

When I teach at the university or college level, where I must hand out grades for performance, I tell my students one thing in particular on the first day:

"I have no interest in chasing a bunch of other adults around, telling them what they should or should not be doing. That is not my job. If you desire to be educated, to learn, to take risks, and to grow your soul, show up, and I will teach you everything I know. For the things I do not know, I will be the first to say so, and we can learn it together. But you must be here, participating, for anything of value to happen. It's your life, your education, and your money. It's your choice."

Don't try.

Do.
I agree with that paragraph. It's something I live by myself. But I wouldn't study something I'm not interested in. I don't teach myself things that have no value to my future. Learning is not the same as going out and doing things.

By going out and doing things, you can learn and learning can often mean you have to go out and do things. But they are separate.
=]
Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 PM

Default Foresight

Trust me when I say that you cannot know what things are valuable to your future. Everything you can learn, and I mean EVERYTHING, has the potential to open that one critical door that leads you to your goal(s).

For instance, my father worked for many years in municipal waste water treatment, or to put it bluntly, cleaning up other people's shit. I learned skills from him, without ever desiring to be a pipe fitter. Long story short, I just finished fixing a toilet/sink for a tenant, who pays rent, and thus supports part of my life.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Trust me when I say that you cannot know what things are valuable to your future. Everything you can learn, and I mean EVERYTHING, has the potential to open that one critical door that leads you to your goal(s).

For instance, my father worked for many years in municipal waste water treatment, or to put it bluntly, cleaning up other people's shit. I learned skills from him, without ever desiring to be a pipe fitter. Long story short, I just finished fixing a toilet/sink for a tenant, who pays rent, and thus supports part of my life.
Knowing how to fix pipes is a handy skill for anyone to have. It brings the cost down when you have to fix some pipes. Knowing someone close who has those skills is just as good. My mother's partner is an all round handy man. Electric, gas, plumbing, woodwork, building. He does it all. Because he lives here, he does it for free.

Don't mistake handy skills for truly valuable ones. Knowledge which can change your life, isn't knowledge that can save you a few pennies here and there.
=]

Tags
blog, life, somegeezer