Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 PM

Default On NPR: "Polygamy" (and plural families) and the law

I heard this just now on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/28/175619...amy-make-a-com

As I post this, the audio is not yet available online. Wait for it, though, because it's worth a listen.

Prof. Turley seems confident that, if the Supreme Court defers to the states on the definition of marriage, the way may be open to the eventual legalization of polygamy and - he's quite clear on this point - the many other possible forms of plural family.

At the very least, he thinks, it is possible that "cohabitation" could eventually be decriminalized in Utah, for example, where it is currently a felony.

I don't know that I'm quite as optimistic as he is. Another view of the matter has it that the main reason advocates of same-sex marriage have had so much success winning over the public is that they aspire to the most traditional of institutions, lifelong, monogamous marriage.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:40 AM

The audio portion is available at the link now.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 AM

It's an interesting snippet but it highlights one of the reasons I dont like NPR; they never really go in-depth enough.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."