Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Public property is exactly what the name says; property that is owned by the public. It may be actively cared for by a government or other organization but the actual owners of the property are considered to be the public. Sidewalks are an example of this.
Do you mean to imply that, because it belongs to the public, any individual member of the public has the right to do whatever she or he wants to it?

That just isn't so.

Public ownership is collective, not individual. Decisions about public property are to be made by the public as a whole, by the lawful representatives of the public, or by whatever other authority is entrusted with making decisions on behalf of the public.

If the public or its lawful representatives makes some provision for graffiti or street art on public property, then it would be legitimate. Random individuals do not have legitimate authority to make decisions on behalf of the public as a whole.

But, then, the whole point of graffiti is to defy authority, to be lawless, right? In that case, public authorities are certainly justified in taking action against it.

(Sorry, I sometimes teach courses in political philosophy, and I tend to get all Rousseauvian on questions like this . . .)
Old 03-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Authorities do have the authority to cover up graffiti, sure, and they have the right to impose the will of the majority (for a plain beige environment) and to overcome the desire of the disenfranchised lawless minority for self expression.

When I don't like what they expressing (if it's not aesthetically pleasant to my own subjective taste, when it's crude, when it expresses allegiance to a group of people who advocate violence, when it expresses a political opinion with which I disagree), I am all for beige.

When I like what's being expressed (simple expression of individuality, or where it shows technical skills in executing a pleasant or interesting artistic expression), then I lean in favor of the lawless artists.

I do appreciate art (as I define it), wherever I find it, and I don't like to see it disappear. I recognize that one thing that makes good street art valuable is that it is ephemeral. And in the end, I also appreciate the tension between the lawful advocates of beige and the unlawful energy of chaotic expression. Both forces ought to exist, and both forces do good things.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
There are giant billboards along virtually every street in the country. It's virtually impossible to escape these monolithic images. I dislike them, they very clearly have an impact on the public, and they're often on public property. Yet no one really seems to want to decry them as being blights.
I would much rather have the monolithic ugliness of an add then what we have here. Imagine your driving along contentedly and then all of a sudden God Is yelling at you that you have sinned to believe abortion is in!

Country roads here are littered with distasteful "God is watching" propaganda.

On the note of taggin, I love them. I can tell the amatures, the pros, the unsung greats, the over commercialized mundanes and even those profane and sometimes outrageously unclean tags are an expression of their individuality (al be it schathy and I attractive. What and where they tag is a statement of their overall being.

In Scotland there is a small castle, Kelburn Castle in Glasgow. The artist, Tristan Manco was approached by the Earl who own sthe castle to commission it to be painted and then he had made it a permanent tourist attraction and historical site. Due to the double standard way of thinking it has no been washed and unfortunately that neighbourhood is awash with grey once again.

If anyone is interested, here's a pic.
http://www.whatsondalian.com/news-15...rn-castle.html

OKC Profile

Me: bi, reformed wild-child turned mom and house maid LOL
Crux: straight/hypersexual, possibly mono?
BC: our son, 5 years
CM: second son 9 months.
Mouse: girlfriend! Status new, feelings not so much.

Last edited by Malfunktions; 03-22-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added picture