Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 PM

I usually associate "lifestyle" with swinging. The swingers seem to have claimed that word for themselves.

I find swinging and poly to be very different forms of the same thing, non-manogomy. Swingers seem to have many rules such as, same room only, soft swap only. No playing on the first date. Girl-girl only. Although many do like to establish close friendships with those they play with they tend to keep the emotional connections at arms length. Poly people seem to have less rules, but it is more about the emotional connection and less about sex. Anyways, that's my take on it, but I am still pretty new to the whole thing.

As for causing a shit-storm by jumping into something you're not ready for in your relationship, I'm not sure that's a good idea. Swingers call that "drama" and avoid it as much as possible. I've heard of a couple instances where couples think they're ready for the lifestyle stuff, but they're not. It's usually unpleasant for themselves and those they play with too.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Banned

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far away, but not THAT far, actually:

"my partner and i can't be in the same building without fighting, we never have sex, and want mutually incompatible things in our futures. Also, we don't want to break up because it will upset our great grandparents and our soon-to-be third-cousin, and we'll have to explain it to the mail carrier and hairdresser and fill out more paperwork. So, we decided to try the polyamory-lifestyle."

Three months later:

"why is polyamory not working? This lifestyle is supposed to be DIFFERENT from monogamy, but it has the same problems, only WORSE. My wife is getting lots of action on OK Cupid but it's all guys who are cheating on their wives or only want NSA one night stands. And all i get is replies from girls who just finished college and want to have my babies, or from couples who want me to have sex with the wife while the husband watches. I found a forum and thought it would be a good place to learn from other people's experience, but all i see is one story after another about all the problems people have and how miserable they are. Why even bother doing this if you're just going to end up failing anyway? I haven't heard of a single polyamorous relationship that has lasted forever."

And they lived happily ever after.

The end.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Official Greeter

Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
And they lived happily never after.
??

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 AM
Official Greeter

What? They're not happy?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
??

I'm still in the edit window, LOL.

Tags
definitions, descriptions, lifetlye, lifetylers, marriage, married and polyamorous, poly lifestyle