Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 06:58 AM

Default Make No Scents!

Have you ever met someone and been around them and their personal scent just...didnt click with you? It's not that they smell bad or have problems with body odor, but their own personal scent just somehow strikes you as off or not right.

What (if anything) did that eventually end up meaning?
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."
Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 AM

For me, it means there is no physical relationship. It's massively important to me.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM

Saw the title of this thread and did the confused dog look thing... Nicely played.

I've had friends who I'd been attracted to in every other way, but their scent just made it impossible for me to be physically attracted to them any deeper than "hey, he's cute." I've read that compatibility, scent-wise is an important characteristic in attraction, and I doubt we even realize it at times, especially when it just clicks. When it doesn't click, though, at least for me, it's obvious.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 PM

The scent of a person is very important to me.

Recently Minnie very much wanted me to spend time with her and her girlfriend. Her girlfriend and I got along great and I found her attractive in every way but one. Her scent! I knew right away that because of this, being intimate with her just wasn't going to work for me. But that's alright, because sometimes things are just simpler that way.

I love the way Ann and Minnie smell and always take a deep breath when I hold them.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Banned

Yup. I have a friend who smells like my father. I know exactly what you're talking about.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Default *armpit smell* SUPERSTAR!

When I find a smell that piques my interest it instantly drives me to want to bathe in them. (I maintain my composure at least a little) It's like the defining factor between relations and attachment for me.

E smells so good I want to crawl into her sometimes.

But alas, I am no Jeffrey Dahlmer.

OKC Profile

Me: bi, reformed wild-child turned mom and house maid LOL
Crux: straight/hypersexual, possibly mono?
BC: our son, 5 years
CM: second son 9 months.
Mouse: girlfriend! Status new, feelings not so much.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Have you ever met someone and been around them and their personal scent just...didnt click with you? It's not that they smell bad or have problems with body odor, but their own personal scent just somehow strikes you as off or not right.
Yep. Smelled like... Butter? Not horrible smell. But just too weird to me somehow. We remained friends and not more.

Quote:
What (if anything) did that eventually end up meaning?
Been too long since I read "Sex at Dawn" in full (the book) but I seem to recall it talked about smells. Along these excerpt lines:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ruin-your-life

Galagirl

Last edited by GalaGirl; 03-19-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:50 PM

If I am attracted to someone, and they smell good to me, it doesn't matter what they do physically - work out, dig in yard, play with dogs, - they always smell good to me, even if they are a sweaty mess.

And I am with the others who noted they cannot be sexually involved with someone who does not smell good, even if otherwise attracted.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 PM

I've been seeing a girl for a few weeks and she's pretty wonderful in most respects. I dont find her the "OMG SEXY" that I've found in partners past but I'm not sure if that's because of the scent or I'm getting put-off by the scent because of that.

Like I said, she doesn't smell bad at all. Just something about her personal scent doesn't jive with me right.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."
Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 PM

I once dated a man who for 3 years smelled like heaven to me. Then one day he smelled different. Not bad, just different. I mentioned it to him, he looked uncomfortable. Shortly afterward, he broke up with me. No idea what that means on a physical level, but my nose knew before my mind did.