Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 01:06 PM

I've never "looked" for someone so I don't really have reasons. I've simply fallen in love with someone while already in love with someone else, and therefore I know I am poly.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:00 PM

i'm "bi" like stated above, I fell in love with someone while already loving another, and well...see sig. I'm basically screwed, lol
Old 06-21-2010, 07:42 PM

Monogamy just never made any sense to me. I only started thinking about it as a teenager, but as soon as I started dating, I couldn't imagine being restricted to one person for the rest of my life.

In all my adolescent wisdom, I thought that was what's wrong with the world. Oh, blessed ignorance, if only I still believed that was the only problem Now I know the truth: Institutionalized Monogamy, and Capitalism. We nick those, we'll be good to go!

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
We nick those, we'll be good to go!
What's your super villain name going to be?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcrazy View Post
What's your super villain name going to be?
Captain Commie!! LOL

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM

I don't know if you're global regime change schemes will work with a name like that...you might not get world public support, and i hear jews rule the world, hahahaha
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 PM

I'm a person of incrediably diverse interests. I'm interested in permiculture farming, nutrition, biochemistry, animal husbandry, sewing, clothing design, psychology, music theory, computers and I spend time collecting data for and maintaining databases on a variety of topics. That's just the most recent tip of the iceberg! I love to learn, about everything, all the time. I have this driving need for my mind to be active, puzzling things out. My focuses vary from day to day and at times it seems to others that I am a completely different person from even moments before.

I have so many interests I've never had one boyfriend be able to mirror all of those - nor would I expect one to, as that diversity is part of what makes me unique.

Just like I prefer diversity in my interests and hobbies, I welcome it into the bedroom. Yet a good conversation can be just as rewarding as sex to me, and it seems a shame not to share sexual intimacy with someone else on the notion that it is somehow different or deeper than verbal discourse.

I'm extremely empathetic. It is very easy for me to care, very deeply, about my friends. Intimacy to me doesn't have to include sex and thus I feel wrong when I'm in a monogamous relationship and I take delight in an intense verbal intercourse with a friend. So much so I've taken to not having close friends during my monogamous relationships. I'm just not comfortable opening up my senses to others because I know its the same exact kind of caring and attention I give my partner...

Thus my conundrum.

And then finally the realization that I'm doing the monogamous men I've fallen for a disservice by reigning in myself for them. To watch them try so hard to meet ALL my needs, even when I tell them they don't have to... even though I realize that if there were a single person on this planet that could, the chances of me actually meeting him are practically nonexistant...

So I am poly because I am multifaceted. I give due attention to each of those facets as opposed to attempting to blend them into a singular entity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklady78 View Post
I'm interested in hearing anyone's experiences or thoughts.

I was asked this question (or a version thereof) and it was basically asking "why do I need/want someone else?"
Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 PM

For me, I didn't want to be put in a position where I had to state which woman I loved 'best'. One of them would be hurt; and the other would always wonder if I'd told the truth or just went with the 'correct' answer. (I was also a bit selfish and greedy; why NOT two?)

Fortunately for all concerned, they agreed.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:24 PM

I believe and feel whole heartedly that one of the most amazing qualities of being human is our ability to love abundantly. I want my life to be full of love and enriching people. I love feeling my husband's joy with his new relationships, and I love the feeling of growing to care about a new partner. It feels absolutely right and natural to me.

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair
- Kahlil Gibran
Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 PM

I'm poly because...hold it You almost tricked me

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over

Tags
boundaries, cheating, coming out poly, commitment, defintion, description, descriptions, discovery, dissatisfaction, first time, happiness, history, introduction to poly, learning, mono poly, mono/poly, new to polyamory, opening a relationship, poly, relationship issues, scale