Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-04-2010, 01:50 PM
jokutus's Avatar
jokutus jokutus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 31
Default Higher Expectations of Honesty?

Hey poly peeps...

I have a dilemma that I know some of you have probably dealt with already. I am seeing someone casually that seems to be getting serious. We definetly have some chemistry and she doesn't have a problem with me being polyamorous.

Here is the catch, and maybe I am just over thinking it - but please tell me your thoughts...

So, she has a boyfriend who has no concept of our relationship. Basically, she is cheating. I don't know how serious they are - but its the fact that he doesn't have a clue that bothers me. I mean, their relationship could theoretically effect me - but then again, its her life and I don't want to overstep my bounds.

Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Custodian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,221
Default

"You must do what you feel is right, of course."

- Obi-Wan Kenobi
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
MyNameIsMaam MyNameIsMaam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 46
Default

She's cheating.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I believe cheating comes with lying and deception - not the kind of traits I find in people with strong integrity and character, and certainly the kind of traits I try hard to avoid in any kind of relationship.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-04-2010, 02:31 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

If she's dishonest to him then she'll likely be dishonest with you. Sexually safe? Who knows? Basically how can you trust her?
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Fidelia Fidelia is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Right here. Right now.
Posts: 649
Default

You say she is cheating. Those who cheat with you will also cheat on you.

Also, the relationship you have now is not polyamorous, since poly is rooted in honesty, integrity, and respect for everyone involved. Neither she nor you are demonstrating much respect and concern for her OSO. At the moment you both are treating him like a mushroom, in that you are keeping him in the dark and feeding him a load of shit.

If you want to move your V forward into a state of integrity, insist on meeting him and putting it all out there. If she's okay with that, fine; you all move forward. If she refuses, there's your answer. If she says okay but the meet and greet never actually happens, beat feet, BrotherMan, just as fast as your feet will beat.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 AM
redpepper's Avatar
redpepper redpepper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelia View Post
You say she is cheating. Those who cheat with you will also cheat on you.

Also, the relationship you have now is not polyamorous, since poly is rooted in honesty, integrity, and respect for everyone involved. Neither she nor you are demonstrating much respect and concern for her OSO. At the moment you both are treating him like a mushroom, in that you are keeping him in the dark and feeding him a load of shit.

If you want to move your V forward into a state of integrity, insist on meeting him and putting it all out there. If she's okay with that, fine; you all move forward. If she refuses, there's your answer. If she says okay but the meet and greet never actually happens, beat feet, BrotherMan, just as fast as your feet will beat.
Fidelia, I think I am in love with you.... HAHAHA!!! I love it!

In agreement with everyone really. She isn't the kind of character that I would bother with really. I'm sure she is lovely, but really, I don't have time for that kind of bullshit. I think if this were me I would tell her that you will wait for her while she sorts stuff out with her boyfriend and if after a certain time when things are cool resume what you have started, starting with talking with him and making sure he is cool with it. It would be really important to distance myself from her drama and go do something else. I wouldn't want that on my shoulders and wouldn't want to have to deal with the wake she has caused... again, life's too short.

I was this girl for a bit. I wish someone would of given me a swift kick in the ass and gave me the real goods on cheating, but no, no one did, and I fucked over lots of people and now am angry that I was walking around all thinking that I was getting away with it. I got away with nothing! It haunts me to this day that I was that girl and that others around me had no respect for me....

If I were you I would show her some respect and lay out how you feel. What do you have to lose, nothing, what does she have to gain? Someone being real with her. If you do that, there is still a chance to turn it around I think.
__________________
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog

Last edited by redpepper; 11-05-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2010, 03:59 PM
CielDuMatin's Avatar
CielDuMatin CielDuMatin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Upstate New York, USA
Posts: 1,456
Default

Yes, she has the right to live her life as she pleases.... and you have the right to choose whether or not you get involved with her.

If what she is doing doesn't feel right to you, then it's not right FOR you.

If her relationship with the other one isn't serious, then there would be no expectation of exclusivity, and therefore there would be no problem hanging out together. If it is serious, and she is truly poly, then there should be no problem hanging out together. Any other outcome would be a nice array of prettily-coloured flags for me, mostly in tones of red and yellow...
__________________
Please check out The Birdcage - an open, friendly Polyamory forum for all parts of New York State
http://www.thebirdcage.org/

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Fidelia Fidelia is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Right here. Right now.
Posts: 649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Fidelia, I think I am in love with you.... HAHAHA!!! I love it!
Well, alrighty then! I was starting to think my crush was totally unrequited.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2010, 10:28 AM
jokutus's Avatar
jokutus jokutus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 31
Default

Yeah, I kinda figured as much. It will definitely make me feel better if everyone is honest. I think I just needed some confirmation of my position..

Thanks everyone... lets see how this goes.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 AM
jokutus's Avatar
jokutus jokutus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
I was this girl for a bit. I wish someone would of given me a swift kick in the ass and gave me the real goods on cheating, but no, no one did, and I fucked over lots of people and now am angry that I was walking around all thinking that I was getting away with it. I got away with nothing! It haunts me to this day that I was that girl and that others around me had no respect for me....
Good Point, this may be the kick in the ass she needs to realize that there is way too much bullshit that goes along with cheating. I am going to talk to her today about it..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:05 AM.