Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Introductions

Notices

Old 04-17-2014, 11:08 AM

Default Long time Poly Living in Norway [Tough here too]

Hi and thanks for letting me join your group.
I was introduced to polyamory by my now ex Norwegian wife who is Bisexual. I was very resistant to the idea originally as I saw it as a cultural deviance which would invite further whimsical expressions and lead to a corruption of values within the family leading to it's destruction.
I am a very disciplined person and live a very principled life. Although I am not opposed to superfluous hedonism, I look for meaningful expressions in life beyond physical enjoyment or pleasure [Although I have nothing against it].
Anyway, to make a very, very long story short, I lived with several women for many years. At one time it was 5 [3 Norwegian and 2 Asian] but mostly two. We have lived in Oslo, Norway, for now 19 years.
I have 2 children with one of the Norwegian women and 3 with the other.
The truth is that this experiences have been both, tremendously rewarding and also a living hell.
Basically the negatives extend from both intrinsic and extrinsic factors to the relationship, and these all being in a continuum as the extrinsic becomes intrinsic at some point and vice versa.
One would think that the environment for such a lifestyle would be more agreeable and acceptable in the Norwegian culture. There is a great misconception with regards to Norway. In as much as this appears to the outsider to be a very open and tolerant society, it is in fact not. It is a very conservative society based on years of strict protestantism. Yes the intent to appear as accepting and flexible is very much overt, but not consistent with the deep values within the Norwegian culture which are conservative nationalistic. Racism and other kinds of intolerance are not openly displayed but are very much a part of the culture.
Anyway, I have seen a lot here, and experienced much particularly because of Polyamory. Because of this being the natural experssion of who I am, many see me as "perverted" while others tolerate my lifestyle as one would also tolerate a "fetish". Even when things have not worked out, I have learned a lot about what this is.
Polyamory is not a cultural choice, it is a natural imperative. Not expressing our true nature leads to the corruption and confusion of the inner self. Polyamory is a cultural must, as are the expressions of all other forms of natural relationships.
There is of course a lot more about us but I will cut it here, as I am sure this could become pages of bla bla bla that would be even less interesting than a short bla bla would be.
Again, thank you for accepting me in your forum and feel good to be around people like myself.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Official Greeter

Greetings PolynNorway,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

Interesting to hear of Norway's conservatism. I am curious if you have read the book "Sex at Dawn?" You might enjoy it, it supports much of what you're saying about polyamory being a natural imperative.

They say polyamory is hard work but well worth it. I sense that you have worked hard to make it a part of your life, both internally and externally. You seem to be a sharp and with-it person, and will probably have valuable insights to contribute to various threads here and there. Dig right in and see what interests you.

Glad to have you with us.
Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter"

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 PM

Thank you very much for the welcome. I have not shared much of this lifestyle with other than the people who have been involved in it with me. I am very grateful for your suggestions and will look into all of them.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Official Greeter

Sounds good. Polyamory has far to go before gaining widespread acceptance, but it'll get there.