Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Banned

I don't mind franklin and his writing so much as the way his "fans" worship him as some kind of guru and hang on his every word as if he's leading the Israelites out of Egypt or some shit like that. He's just some guy who manages to get laid a lot and writes about it. Whoop dee doo dee.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Sadly yes, and they are an over enthusiastic bunch. Actually deciding that because they come up with a definition of a word that works for their poly group that it is now THE definition. I don't say that the definitions I use are the ones everyone must use, only offered as example as what works for us. Being one of the first people to write about a subject or having fans does not make you the absolute authority. If that were true we would all be listening to Justin Bieber and who wants to live in that world?
Old 04-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixtoria View Post
Sadly yes, and they are an over enthusiastic bunch. Actually deciding that because they come up with a definition of a word that works for their poly group that it is now THE definition.
which definition is that?
Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 PM

Oh I have gotten read the RIOT ACT, for disagreeing on what it means to use the terms Secondary, Poly, Primary, and others. Mostly it seems to be really really sensitive to anyone in anything resembling hierarchical relationships and if you attempt to give any other definition of hierarchy then you are wrong. Because hierarchy is bad, and everyone is equal all the time and equal means the same. Period. Seriously, been banned for arguing that one.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixtoria View Post
Oh I have gotten read the RIOT ACT, for disagreeing on what it means to use the terms Secondary, Poly, Primary, and others. Mostly it seems to be really really sensitive to anyone in anything resembling hierarchical relationships and if you attempt to give any other definition of hierarchy then you are wrong. Because hierarchy is bad, and everyone is equal all the time and equal means the same. Period. Seriously, been banned for arguing that one.

I recall reading arguments that spanned from this forum, to Live Journal, and other sites i can't remember which have basically said (this was not mr. Veaux talking to/by himself, mind you, it did involve one or more of his partners and other folks) that married couples are predatory and abusive for getting involved with other people but still wanting to remain "primary". In other words, by staying married and having access to the benefits of society that are afforded through marriage, such couples are exploiting that privilege at the expense of other individuals with whom they would become involved. This gets supported through anecdotal evidence of stories about clueless couples who treat additional partners as "the third" and so forth.

My opinion about that is: most people think only of themselves and treat others indifferently most of the time except when it is to their benefit to do otherwise. Although that does not make it ok to do so, it is unrealistic to be surprised when this happens to you. It has, however, nothing to do with hierarchy vs. equality, marriage, nonmonogamy, etc. it has to to with people being wrapped up in their own little insular experience of existence. It's impossible to avoid that because that is the human condition.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:41 AM
Banned

Default I think some of his writing he is trying to funny,

But I don't know about his articles on poly. I haven't read that much, but what I have, I decided was mostly bullshit. To be honest, what really led me to believe everything he writes is just a bunch of bullshit , were his essays on science. I couldn't figure out if he was being sarcastic and it was joke or if he's seriously that clueless, either way five pages that sounds authoritative isn't funny and it was obvious he doesn't have a grasp on evolution or physics. When I got to the end and he listed SciencDaily as a source that was pretty much it for me. He wasn't joking, he seriously is that clueless

but when you have a site like his you have to find something to write about regularly like a newspaper or something. So I am thinking the reason he seems to be talking out his ass so often is because he has to post something. Science is one of my pet peeves, reputable academic journals go to a lot of trouble make sure that not only real experiments that come to real, significant conclusions get published. All the money in the world can't buy publication. Sciencedaily is just a political tool that is published for the sole purpose of being used as a citation source for newspapers and politicians.

Last edited by Dirtclustit; 04-17-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Tags
goals, ideals, new to polyamory, newbies