Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Articles

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 AM

Default Abbreviations and such

Help! I found a glossary but I'm not finding anything to decipher all the abbreviations I find in the threads. Is there a list?
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 PM

I think there are abbreviations buried in the glossary thread - which looks like you already found.

Which ones have you stumped?

And, yes, there is all new vocab to learn in poly!

There will be a quiz too.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Official Greeter

Depends what kind of abbreviations are stumping you.

Wiktionary has web abbreviations: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Internet_slang

I have a really big glossary with all kinds of poly slang and abbreviations: http://polyamoryonline.org/smf/index...43140#msg43140

Like opalescent said, let us know which abbreviations are stumping you and we can maybe be of better help.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece2014 View Post
Help! I found a glossary but I'm not finding anything to decipher all the abbreviations I find in the threads. Is there a list?
Yesss!!! We are on the same boat!! Can you say "annoying"? Im sure that once I catch up, I too will think its cute... In the meantime, NOT!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XimenaP View Post
Yesss!!! We are on the same boat!! Can you say "annoying"? Im sure that once I catch up, I too will think its cute... In the meantime, NOT!
I am rather caught up on the lingo, however, I still dont think its cute..and I hate it.. however, it seems people are no longer educated in the art of writting full sentences..boy we have become a lazy society since we now feel the need to abbreviate and shorten everything when we communicate. I just dont bother reading posts that have tons of abbreviations as a personal choice because I feel if someone cant be bothered to type it all..they probably are not worth reading.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:40 AM
Official Greeter

I'm usually pretty good about writing out whatever it is that I want to say. And what I don't like is the way iPhone texting has led to a raging popularity for writing like a dum-a-quad. It's juvenile and uncivilized. "ur not doin it rite!"

Still, I try not to totally reject fad and fashion, and will throw in a "cute" abbreviation here or there. I mean, how many people are there who've never used "LOL" before -- amirite? I don't mind occasional abbreviations as long as it's not every other word.

And I really, reeeally like proper spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar. Ahhh! Feels so nice. I mean I'll fudge grammar on occasion, but only when I have some special reason for it. Like now and then I'll hit a sentence that actually seems more readable with an incorrect grammatical turn. But I try to obey enough rules to get at least a 90% grade in middle school.

Anyway, welcome to the downfall of English, eh? I hope it survives all these lazy shenanigans.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:51 AM

Still waiting for a list of abbreviations that you can't figure out so we can tell you what they mean.....
Old 05-16-2014, 04:06 AM
Official Greeter

Amen, throw some abbreviations at us! I'm ready.