Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
As a queer man (and a bisexual man--or, better, biamorous man) I'm slightly (though lovingly) annoyed by those flaming faggots (i.e., 'gays') ...
Gosh.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Hi everyone! My apologies for not replying sooner--this week got rather hectic for me, and I fell behind on this thread.

First, thanks to everyone that's e-mailed me so far! I am still looking for additional candidates, so don't hesitate to contact me if you're still interested.

I'll try to cover a few different replies at once:

- I'd be happy to post my results here when I'm done. That won't be until May 2011, but I'm more than willing to share what I find out with the community.

- I don't want to reiterate what other posters have said, but just to clarify, I use the word "queer" as an umbrella term for all "alternative" sexualities. That being said, many people (including myself) also now use the word "queer" as a way of identifying their sexual orientation when it doesn't neatly fit into the hetero/homo/bi categories. Even though we've tried to reclaim it as a positive word, however, many LGBT people (especially those who lived through the initial AIDS crisis) still object to its use and associate it with its history as a slur.

- For those of you interested in reading more academic research on polyamory: there are several researchers who are focusing on polyamory right now, and whose work has been very helpful to me as I prepared for my own research. I highly recommend Meg Barker and Darren Landridge's Understanding Non-Monogamies--it's an expensive book (so you may want to see if you can get it from a local library), but it addresses the widest range of the poly community I've seen yet, and contains some very thought-provoking essays. I also recommend looking up articles by Elisabeth Sheff, Meg Barker, or Ani Ritchie (maybe through Google Scholar, or your local university's journal databases). There was also an issue of the academic journal Sexualities from 2006 that focused solely on poly issues; again, your local university might have a copy or online access to it. Hope that helps a bit!

I think that hits the major points, but if I overlooked someone's comment/question, please let me know and I'll be happy to answer.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:20 AM

thanks swheeler... I will check the book out.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Great. Thanks for the info, swheeler. This will be a good opportunity to make use of my local library's Inter-Library Loan program, since I'm SURE they won't have any of this research available directly.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:36 PM

I passed the request along among some local peeps who fit the criteria for participation. I can't say that any of them will step up, though I suspect at least one of them will.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Gosh.
Exactly!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 PM

I just havent heard the term flaming faggot in a long long time. Took me aback, even if you are one!
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 10-14-2010, 05:15 PM

Ironic humor, and stuff like that. Don't mean nothing bad by it!

Tags
research, study