Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
I guess for me this scale indicates a choice related to how a person wants to conduct a relationship as opposed to how they function internally. I often forget that when I use the word monogamous I am refering to how I am internally ,not a description of how I conduct relationships. It's not a choice, it's just my nature.

So if I look at this question from the perspective of how I would conduct a relationship I would be an anomolous 3 for one reason only...Redppper. Without her I would be a 0.
I think there are several ways to look at it... From a relationship point of view, and from an individual point of view. That is, you individually are mono, you have only one person. RP is poly. Your relationship is poly... one way. That's even for it to be poly, as a mono relationship would mean it's closed both ways, but I think the scale refers to how many partners YOU have... I'm not sure though.

At any rate, I'm 6 or close in matters of MY number of partners. I believe in matters of how many partners my other partners are, I'm maybe a 4... maybe a 3... I think it doesn't matter much to me but I wouldn't like it if they were ALL mono. I think having one mono partner would probably be my limit, I would want the others to be poly, because a mono/poly relationship is harder, and I don't think I'd be able to deal with several at once. While dealing with one would be easier if my other partners are poly too and will understand and support me.

Is that making some sense to you?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
I think having one mono partner would probably be my limit, I would want the others to be poly, because a mono/poly relationship is harder, and I don't think I'd be able to deal with several at once. While dealing with one would be easier if my other partners are poly too and will understand and support me.

Is that making some sense to you?
This statement totally makes sense to me and I fully agree. I can't imagine poor Redpepper putting up with two of me LOL! Plus, I think that mono partners may require more time to maintain a connection...if there is a break in that connection for a mono person, that is where the potential to form a new and therefore replacing connection can occur. It all depends what the person wants I guess though.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over