Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
Oh and one of the wives was not raised in a polygamist family.
You are right. One of the four said she was a LDS, but said it wasn't a big jump FOR HER for whatever reason from LDS to Fund Mormonism.

I too would like to see a show concerning polyamory where the people involved don't have the salvation of their souls to worry about motivating the choices they make.
And for either style of show, I wish they shared more about the one on one negotiations each wife has with the husband in the care of their concerns and the choice to take on a 4th. There seemed to be a big difference between the way the wives discussed the impending addition of the fourth in front of the husband and how they discussed it amongst themselves in his absence. When they would get upset in front of him, he'd just sort of stare at them with a concerned look. I was left wondering how he assures them, how they reach agreement and/or resolve; I have trouble believing the concerned look was all there was to it.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 PM

I was liking it, until last night when the husband said the thought of one of his wives being with another man disgusted him and made him sick to his stomach.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsMaam View Post
I was liking it, until last night when the husband said the thought of one of his wives being with another man disgusted him and made him sick to his stomach.
Yeah

He was all "its just wrong and against nature and God."
And making out with new fiancee when he'd been told his 3 wife's water broke and to get there ASAP if he wanted to be present for the birth. Seemed put out that the camera man followed him and caught it on camera....

I'm beginning to feel just awful for the first wife. I get this impression that when she first got married she thought she'd be this Earth Mother. The whole set up to her was about having as many kids as she could thus doing her end of being a polygamist wife in line with their religion. But she only has one while the others keep having more babies. She feels outdone? So maybe with the no babies thing she feels like her choice was a sacrifice for not much? He offered that they go to a fert clinic. She said no. The look on his face was priceless.

Am I the only one getting the sense that she intended (without realizing it) to compete with the production of children and now that the other two are up on her by 5 kids, she feels its a loosing battle and is now just focusing on the inequality of the set up to even ask him how he'd feel if she had another husband?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:40 PM

Watched it last night..completely typical fundamentalist bullshit in my opinion. Not a good example of anything beyond harem building.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 10-13-2010, 03:39 PM

I found it hilarious that he says that polygamy isn't what we might think it is. Ya right. Its exactly what I thought it was; one penis policy where women are subserviant to men. The whole thing just bugged and I doubt I will watch it again. At least it confirmed to me that its not my idea of polyamory. Vast differences there for me.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsMaam View Post
Yeah, that was incredibly offputting and offensive. Not to mention breathtakingly disrespectful of her, when she was only asking him to imagine putting himself in her shoes for a moment. Ick.

Last edited by Ready2Fly; 10-15-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:27 AM

I'm not watching it again. I was disturbed and horrified...
Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 AM

I was watching with a friend, and when he started going on like that wd both started yelling at the tv. It makes me sad that crap like that is how polyamourous families get portrayed.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
I was watching with a friend, and when he started going on like that wd both started yelling at the tv. It makes me sad that crap like that is how polyamourous families get portrayed.
That is NOT a polyamorous family. It's polygamous. Difference? The women have no rights. They are not allowed other lovers and see trapped in a marriage that they are not allowed to decide what is right for them. BIG difference to polyamory.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:11 PM

It makes me sad because this situation has so much potential. Like when the older daughter was talking to her dad about what she wants to do in life and he was very sweet about it and teared up that she'd set such a high goal for herself.
(little concerned that she struggled to speak in complete sentences or pronounce common words well, yet wants to be a doctor).

But he was very cool about it rather than telling her it wasn't her place or that God wanted something else out of her. And he was very clear about pointing out that the plig private school offers a lesser education even though it would keep her in the fold more tightly.

Its so conflicting with how he is a clueless ass when it comes to his relationships being all about serving him and they have to accept it to help him populate his Heaven planet in the after life or walk away and go to hell.

LOL space Jesus!