Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 AM

Ohhh gods I'd almost completely forgotten about Gatsby.

I'll have to change my answer; Great Gatsby was unequivocally the worst book we read. It had zero relevance to any person in class reading it, it was not interesting, it was not informative, it was not funny, and it was as boring as a brass turd.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."
Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Oh, and speaking of whiners I've gotten the impression that it's a good thing I haven't read Wuthering Heights. Some day I suppose I should tackle The Handmaid's Tale and The Scarlet Letter, though.

I just realized I did a WHOLE SEMESTER of Philosophy in Literature in college. Awful. I should have known better but I liked other Philosophy classes I had taken. The Edible Woman wasn't so bad, but The Brothers Karamazov was just...GAH. I don't think I ever did finish it.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM

I don't remember reading Catcher in the Rye in hs, but I read it about a month ago and loved it. It was so moving! He was a "whiny little prick" because his beloved brother had died suddenly and tragically and it seemed he was suffering PTSD (to use a new term). I thought it was very edgy for the times in which it was written.

I adore anything by F Scott Fitzgerald so GG is on my favorite books list. However, I kinda hated all things Hemingway, since I was a radical feminist back then and thought he was too macho.

Otherwise, since I am 57, I can't really remember what else I read in high school. In college I haunted the school library and read everything they had by Fitzgerald, Oscar Wilde, Colette, Evelyn Waugh, DH Lawrence and W Somerset Maugham.

There was a Kazantsakis book I read in a class that really sucked. So did the teacher... it was all so dry. And the author called womens' breasts dugs, which grossed me out. Funny the things one randomly remembers.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
my bf: Ginger, 61, married to:
Robin, 60 (mono)
and dating (NRE): Carla and David, married couple, early 40s
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirlInGray View Post
My thing about book reading (as well as tv and movies) is that it's my escape time. I don't want heavy. I'm not looking to learn anything mind blowing. And I DON'T want to analyze anything.
I fully agree. I have a friend who's a book nut and she reads all the boring old books like War and Peace and The Scarlet Letter. I read YA dystopian novels and murder mysteries. I'm a grad student and I do a lot of reading for school, and all of it requires a tremendous amount of thought and analysis. By the time I come home, I want to turn off my brain and enjoy pulp fiction.

Quote:
Yes, I had a problem with reading ahead too! Very difficult to remember what you shouldn't yet know about when you're being asked what characters are doing in this or that chapter or what is being foreshadowed.
I did that too, but I just fessed up that I'd read ahead and left it up to the teacher to be my spoiler alert. I never had any teacher be upset that I'd enjoyed an assigned book enough to read it "voluntarily."

I remember one classmate who always had that problem: he'd already read most of the assigned books years earlier. The teacher just didn't bother calling on him because she knew he knew the answer, and wanted to give someone else a chance. Also, she knew that if she let him answer, he'd takeover the class and turn everything into his own personal discussion. He tended to over-analyse books and disagree with the "assigned interpretation."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Catcher in the Rye would have to be the worst just for being bad.
I read that book last year, thinking "this book has such a reputation, I should read it." The whole time, I just kept waiting for there to be a plot. Finally I got to the end, and I'm like "that's it? wtf." Thankfully, that was never assigned.

We actually had good books on our curriculum. I enjoyed Of Mice and Men, Wuthering Heights... I can't remember the other classics we read. Dystopian novels were big in our curriculum. Had it been written yet, I'm sure Hunger Games would have made its way in there. We did Animal Farm in grade 11, and in grade 12 we chose one of 8 dystopian novels. I picked 1984 and I really liked it.

The Giver was another of my favourite assigned books, around grade 5. I keep meaning to go back and read it through adult eyes.

Quote:
I ended up hating Shakespeare but I don't necessarily think his work was bad in and of itself, just mediocre.
We only did 1 Shakespeare play per year. I enjoyed Hamlet and Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet was so-so, and The Tempest was poorly taught but in hindsight not so bad in and of itself.

Quote:
I did enjoy Ender's Game but I did that despite the class.
We didn't do Ender's Game in school, but I read it on my own and enjoyed it a lot. I was disappointed by the follow-ups, which weren't nearly as good.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
The Giver was another of my favourite assigned books, around grade 5. I keep meaning to go back and read it through adult eyes.
Yes, I liked that one as well. I didn't read it in school, though. I read it as an adult when it was the assigned reading (in their English class) for some of my math students. I wanted to be able to talk to them about it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you get something different out of it as an adult than you did in grade 5.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 AM

Love W.S. and Lord of the flies. I haven't read Cracked, but the others I could do without.

Phoenix.

Married to: VioletLight
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
guessing about what the author intended. Ask 'em yourself. If they're dead? Oh well, guess you're just stuck with finding out what I got out of it, cause I don't care to guess at intentions!
You may be interested in looking up "Death Of The Author".
For a basic description, though, it states that the meaning within a work is not defined by the creator, but by the one experiencing it. Or "it means whatever the fuck you think it means".

Also goes to Shroedinger's bit - "He tended to over-analyse books and disagree with the "assigned interpretation.""

Not that I feel anything towards the guy. I was annoyed by those same people in school. Who would just take over. I think they are part of the problem, taking away a lot of that enjoyment of reading at high school ages. I'm not one for fictional works myself, because I was just so put off by a lot of it through time.

I'd also like to say that ""assigned interpretation."" as you say... I also hated that. Not just because of the death of the author stuff, which is not something I would have thought about back then. But because at the time, I felt like a lot of what my English teachers were telling me it meant, was just over the top.

Not from any literal piece, but as an example: If there is a sentence "she sits and milks her cow", to me, that says there is a woman milking a cow, and not someone contemplating suicide, because of the widespread poverty of the era, leading to a major plot point a few chapters later.

Of course, it "did" mean that, because "that is exactly what the author said it means".

/rant
=]
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 AM

Oh, I fully agree with you that the "assigned interpretation" approach is stupid. Everyone brings their own experiences with them when they read a book. Everyone has different frames of reference.

The teachers' problem is that they're stuck between that reality and the curriculum, which says they have to teach _these_ moral lessons in English class, and do it with _these_ books. So they have to fit a pre-determined interpretation into the books, whether or not they even agree with it themselves.

I think my problem with that guy wasn't that he disagreed with the "assigned interpretation." He would say "that interpretation is WRONG," as though there is One True Interpretation, and He had found It. That's why he would argue with the teacher. If he would have just said "I disagree for _these_ reasons" then it would have been fine. But he wasted the entire class time trying to convince everyone he was right and she was wrong, which is just arrogant and stupid.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 03-06-2013, 04:46 PM

Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land was on my required reading list for high school.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlox View Post
Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land was on my required reading list for high school.
For real??! That's awesome! What did the teacher have to say about the group marriage concept?