Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 PM

Well now, that is quite a response. Thank you.

I wasn't really directing this in a poly v mono question or direction. Just trying to understand how meeting people with seemingly different personas (roleplay with rules), and then trying to migrate that interaction outside of the structured state of play (in real life where "courtly love" is not structured). I would think it would be like meeting someone on stage, he is charming, personable and charismatic on stage however in person he is shy, not charming etc. That change in personality creates a level of expectation and falseness. Like I said, I could be looking at this in a negative way, which is why I am not seeing the positive of it. Flirting and crushing on someone who plays a role creates a fantasy about them. aka falseness. ...(I hope I made more sense that time)

Thats very different than a persons comfort level with eating.

Anyways I am not arguing just wanted to understand how that interaction works.

Quote:
The game of courtly love is simply a vehicle for acclimating people to flirting again. Being in an atmosphere that encourages people to share their appreciation for other people rather than having to hide it as something inappropriate because the target is married is the key here. That's a huge wedge in the door of monogamy, I think. Not many marriages have an open license to flirt, because flirting can go so many other places.
Now thats an interesting perspective. So do the spouses of these seemingly monogamous people not mind flirting in this case? Is it still not flirting because it isn't real and fake, or at least they are hoping so?

We can take this to pm if you want. I don't want to hijack the thread. It was just a curiosity after your description of it. I can understand meeting people collectively in a group/hobby setting, but meeting those people under the guise of roleplay, with the rules laid out in a roleplay way piqued my curiosity.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 PM

Don't want to thread hijack, so I'll take it to PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:40 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
But in those circles I have found random people to relate to (and this forum has been good too ) You might have to step out of your comfort zone into someone elses to find what you want, and heck you might like it.
Careful, though. I've found that if you step too far outside of your comfort zone, that you have just as good of a chance as being, well, "uncomfortable" as you do liking it.

In regards to hippies, a lot of the poly people I have met aren't hippies per se, but they seem to have more in common with hippies than anything else(like cousins if not one in the same).

I know for me I have a very hard time relating to most people I have met who are poly, but in my case that's because my interests are about as diametrically opposed to most poly people as they could be without me becoming a Tea Party Republican. To steal an old cliche, it isn't them, it's me.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:09 PM

Yeah. I guess you could say I am a hippie. Alternative, liberal, jam band loving. I own tie dye tshirts and dressed my kids in them when they were little.

But I also like glitter rock and grunge/punk music.

My ex was a hippie too, played guitar, hated to cut his hair and beard.

My present gf is also a hippie (neo hippie, since she's 20 yrs younger than me). That's a good part of how we are able to relate, despite our age difference.

*flies freak flag*

Now, I am off to a 4 day music fest!
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 07-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Ok, true hippie test here: How many of you women refuse to wear a bra?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL4everu2 View Post
No way! I breast fed my boy until he was 3 1/2! The ladies faired up well, but not so much that I would go braless. They are too big anyways... I suppose breast feeding that long would make me hippish though
Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL4everu2 View Post
I would hate to think of the under boob sweat I would have in the summer without a bra. If it was comfortable to go without I might, as it is I'm more comfortable in a bra!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
No way! I breast fed my boy until he was 3 1/2! The ladies faired up well, but not so much that I would go braless. They are too big anyways... I suppose breast feeding that long would make me hippish though
Wow...I'm such a perv, because that actually sounds HOT. LOL
Old 07-21-2010, 02:49 PM

I was thinking about sweat under derby's tits actually *lick*
Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbylicious View Post
I would hate to think of the under boob sweat I would have in the summer without a bra. If it was comfortable to go without I might, as it is I'm more comfortable in a bra!
I agree ... I'm rarely without a bra.. and sometimes wear one to bed

Gravity is NOT my friend.

Ages ago I learned that if you apply anti-perspirant under your breasts- far less sweat. Of course, you'd avoid this if ummmm..... anyone was ummm.... going to be nibbling/licking there.

Tags
commonality, identity