Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 09:37 PM

I said "best friend" in my last post and I think I should explain. I can have multiple best friends. My best friends are those I call "best friend". They are not ranked in relation to one another. They are just the best -- or, rather, the ones I favor most highly and spend the most time with.

... So, I was out camping and hiking with Kevin & I just kept saying stuff like "Oh, [Faraway Sweetheart's name] would just LOVE this!" -- about a landscape, wildflowers, wildlife.... And then I'd catch myself at it and say (to Kevin), "Yeah, I know ... and if I were with her I'd be talking the same way about you (Kevin)."

All of this takes some getting used to.

River's Blog
Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 AM

River, do you live anywhere near Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu? Someday I plan on taking a workshop or retreat there. I've long wanted to see NM, and to go to Ghost Ranch, maybe take a painting class where Georgia O'Keeffe felt so inspired.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 AM

Yup, them's just up the road a piece. Just give me a holler when you're comin' my way and you're invited to the bar-bq.

River's Blog
Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 PM

Hello, Friends!

No, I have not died. Rather, I got sucked deep into the swirling vortex of Occupy Santa Fe, one of those local arms of Occupy Wall Street, a solidarity movement. I worked my tail off each day desperately trying to help our occupation encampment to survive and thrive. It did okay for a while, but doesn't seem to have very good legs at this point. It was basically abandoned by those who created it. We OSF activists simply failed to sufficiently outnumber the crazies, lazies and problematic (drunk, psychotic) folks. It has been very messy and trying. And now I have my life back, for I've let go of the whole damn thing.

>Hugs!<

River's Blog

Last edited by River; 11-14-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Hey River welcome back,

Just curious what was the point of occupy Wall street , and subsequently occupy Santa Fe???
Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 PM

Different folks have different answers to this question, but most all of the answers point to a basic fact.: America is not a democratic country, and we're tired of pretending that it is. We have corporatism, instead -- a.k.a., fascism, plutocracy, oligarchy....

Simply put, America runs on the golden rule.: Those with the gold make the rules, and run the "election" processes and political parties..., etc. And the media, the "news"....

So, ultimately, I saw OSF and OWS as a grass roots pro-democracy movement. That's the purpose I served these last few weeks. But I think we're failing. Maybe a few more woke up from the Disneyland smoke and mirrors? Hmmm?

Coffee? Tea?

River's Blog
Old 11-14-2011, 07:31 PM

OWS (and its offshoots) is failing because of the hypocritical slackers who joined them and are drumming and shitting in the streets, over half of which I am certain do not vote in every local and national election, have never written to a government official, and probably don't have a basic understanding of how economy and capitalism work. There they are, protesting big business while spreading the word on their little pieces of technology, decrying capitalism while mourning the death of Steve Jobs, a billionaire capitalist. Changes need to take place, but the movement shot itself in both feet and now the country views them as a bunch of unwashed hyper-leftist losers.

/end soapbox

Glad you're back, River. I've missed you and was wondering where you were. I thought maybe you had taken a cross-country trip to see a certain someone...

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 PM

Hi, nycindie!

Oh, no, ... but I'm going to go see her real soon! I got caught up in "the movement" which delayed everything ... since I have a crucial -- and needed -- skill set to offer OSF. But my skills weren't enough, alas, to prevent the "occupation" from failing our stated purpose. It degenerated into a homeless shelter, soup kitchen and daycare facility for dysfunctional adult children. Our unions and peace organizations and progressive orgs... failed to chip in. But, hey, we made the front page, above the fold! >sigh<

>hugs<

Oh, and I learned a lot! A whole lot! Intensive education program! I even have a cell phone now! >sigh<

http://www.alternet.org/story/153060..._the_99?page=1

River's Blog
Old 11-14-2011, 08:02 PM

Nycindie,

R.e., " ... drumming and shitting in the streets ... "

===

"In this epic battle over values and ideas, our opponents have already mounted a sophisticated public relations offensive to nail down the floating signifier and negatively brand the emerging movement. They are attempting to caricaturize, stereotype and “otherize” the most visible actors—the occupiers—in order to inoculate more Americans from identifying with “the 99%” and keep them from joining the movement." (from the above link)

===

(Me again): It is true that various Occupy encampments have filled up with messy, even disturbing, people -- drunks, crazies, lazies.... But they have also been filled with passionate and intelligent people of the most admirable kind. Though too few of those percentage wise here in Santa Fe. We in SF needed to outnumber our drunks and crazies ten to one, at least -- and failed to do so.

River's Blog
Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Nycindie,

R.e., " ... drumming and shitting in the streets ... "

===

"In this epic battle over values and ideas, our opponents have already mounted a sophisticated public relations offensive to nail down the floating signifier and negatively brand the emerging movement. They are attempting to caricaturize, stereotype and “otherize” the most visible actors—the occupiers—in order to inoculate more Americans from identifying with “the 99%” and keep them from joining the movement." (from the above link)

===

(Me again): It is true that various Occupy encampments have filled up with messy, even disturbing, people -- drunks, crazies, lazies.... But they have also been filled with passionate and intelligent people of the most admirable kind. Though too few of those percentage wise here in Santa Fe. We in SF needed to outnumber our drunks and crazies ten to one, at least -- and failed to do so.
Thanks for sharing this River. It's a common theme of the whole thing being over shadowed by a small visible group. Same thing in Victoria BC.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over

Tags
journal, life experiences