Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Well, you've only known her a few months. I'd hope you'd still have plenty to talk about.
Well, we've done a whole lot of talking! -- on the phone & by email. Simply tons of it.

This is in striking contrast with Kevin, who has never been a big talker. He's "low verbal," as I call it. It's not that we don't talk, Kevin & I. It's just that he's much less talkative than I am. It's just his style. And over the years I have learned how to appreciate extended periods of being together with him without needing to fill silence up with words. And this has been good for me! But in recent time I've been wanting a deeply intimate relationship with another "high verbal" type, like myself. Then FS & I met (here in this forum). And the rest is history, as they say.

There is a quality to the talking between FS and myself which is pretty unique in my life at this time. We talk really, really well together -- better, in various ways, than with any of my other friends. We're both really quite interested in one another, and in one another's well-being and happiness.... We're both enthusiastic about what we have between us. It's just really, really good. I feel that I've hit the Cosmic Jackpot with her. And, Dangitall!, she seems to feel the same about me. It's weird!

===

I'm considering flying rather than taking the train and then the bus.... It's cheaper and less complicated. But I haven't been in one of them aluminum birds in a very long time. And they scare me a little. I mean, it's Up In The Air!

River's Blog

Last edited by River; 09-24-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Default This Post Has Almost Nothing To Do With Polyamory

Ever since I was a child I've been fascinated by pinhole cameras. These are lensless cameras, which is part of why they have always fascinated me--for they sound like wingless birds, don't they? That can't fly! But they do. Well, you can take a picture with a lensless camera. All you need is a leetle tiny pin hole where the lens should otherwise be. The first such cameras, called "camera obscuras" were the world's first cameras--though they did not make photographs. You would, instead, enter into the camera obscura and observe the image of the outside world right there on the dark wall of the inside world.

As a poet, this stuff really turns me on--for my world is languaged in metaphors. My inside world is populated with them!

I've decided to become a kid again. I'm finally going to make myself a pinhole camera. Soon, here, you can view images of my inside world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_camera

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_Obscura

http://www.withoutlenses.com

River's Blog

Last edited by River; 09-25-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: remove commercial website link
Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 AM

I made a pinhole camera with my son once. What fun ! Enjoy !
Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

There is a quality to the talking between FS and myself which is pretty unique in my life at this time. We talk really, really well together -- better, in various ways, than with any of my other friends. We're both really quite interested in one another, and in one another's well-being and happiness.... We're both enthusiastic about what we have between us. It's just really, really good. I feel that I've hit the Cosmic Jackpot with her. And, Dangitall!, she seems to feel the same about me. It's weird!
Well, I am glad she offers a contrast to Kevin. I'm happy for you, and glad you're going to see her soon. Personally I am in favor of people that like to talk, can express themselves well... and are also good listeners.

Quote:

I'm considering flying rather than taking the train and then the bus.... It's cheaper and less complicated. But I haven't been in one of them aluminum birds in a very long time. And they scare me a little. I mean, it's Up In The Air!
Xanax is your friend. Phobias suck.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

There's no lying in polyamory!

I'm a 58 year old woman with 2 partners:
miss pixi, my live-in gf, 36 (together since Jan '09)
Ginger, bf, 61, married, lives nearby (together since Jan '12)
Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Well, I am glad she offers a contrast to Kevin. I'm happy for you, and glad you're going to see her soon. Personally I am in favor of people that like to talk, can express themselves well... and are also good listeners.
Kevin is as Kevin is, and I love him very much. He's a keeper. I can appreciate both of my sweeties for being just who and what they are. And, yes, I'm happy
that FS likes to talk and listen.

Quote:
Xanax is your friend. Phobias suck.
My anxiety about flying is far below the level of a phobia, thank goodness. It's pretty mild stuff, really. I prefer being on the ground, that's all. But if flying is less expensive than a train / bus combo trip, I'll go with the plane.

River's Blog
Old 09-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
I've decided to become a kid again. I'm finally going to make myself a pinhole camera.
I always wanted to do that, too! I've also always wanted a Holga or Diana plastic camera just for light-leaky fun! Photography has always been a love of mine, but I never went and did these things. You can make a pinhole camera out of an oatmeal box! The sad thing is, nowadays there are so few places left to just buy film. And I think you would need medium or large format film, or however it comes just one at a time, for it. Hopefully you can find it, and also a place or a friend to develop it. I look forward to seeing your results!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me.
~Bryan Ferry

Last edited by nycindie; 09-27-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:35 PM

Nycindie,

Oh, Cool! You too should make yourself a pinhole camera, and we can both share our results with one another! That would be a blast.

I've heard -- and read -- about the oatmeal box cameras, etc., but my plan is a little more "sophisticated". I'm looking at very precise plans (with all the math applied) for a simple but attractive hardwood box pinhole camera. I think it was in Fine Woodworking magazine that I saw one set of plans. (Can't post commercial URLs here, so Google if desired.)

One really, really cool thing about pinhole photography is that it has INFINITE depth of field -- which means I can set up artistic near-camera scenes (similar to "still lifes", but more like artistic creations) and have real, non-constructed landscapes behind, all in focus.

Most of the pinhole photos I've seen were in black and white, but color works just as well.

This is gonna be fun!

Weird tid-bit. Turns out New Mexico (my digs) is the world's center for pinhole photography. The world's only magazine devoted to pinhole photography was based here, and its publishers still maintain a web site which sells the back issues, books, equipment, etc. I think there have been gallery shows round here focussing on pinhole, too. (No pun intended.)

River's Blog
Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 PM

I think I might have seen that magazine years ago. I recall reading some articles on how to build one, like the one you want to make. I also used to subscribe to several other photography magazines -- until I let go of my magazine addiction.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me.
~Bryan Ferry
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 PM

That sounds so cool!

I did have a pinhole camera when I was a kid... don't remember why that happened, probably something my stepdad decided would be fun. LOL.

I love photography, but have no time in my life for that hobby right now. I took photojournalism in college and loved it-- used to spend 10 hours on Saturdays in the darkroom developing film and printing pics. I wasn't that great at it, but it was FUN.

That's funny that your city has such a history with pinhole cameras that you didn't even know about. And convenient!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Back, for now, to our regularly scheduled programming.

I'm just here now to say this.: My Boyfriend Is So Cool!

I'm so damn lucky to have Kevin as my partner, best friend, lover, snuggle buddy, activity partner....

He's so supportive and so not jealous and so not in any way making my exploration of love with other/s difficult or problematic.

It could easily have been otherwise, but Kevin is Kevin and I'm just so freaking lucky about that!

River's Blog

Tags
journal, life experiences