Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 AM

Hey, thanks CielDuMatin! My bottom line is definitely being met and I'm very happy. I'm sure there are others who have made the choices that I have, and for similar if not exactly the same reasons. Its just nice to connect with those folks, now and then.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades36 View Post
Anyways, just wondering if anyone else here is poly at heart, mono in practice, and how you deal with it, how it feels, etc.
We were monogamous during the first stages of our relationship, as we learned to be in a long term relationship together, deal with basic relationship issues... basically, get our relationship into a stage where it was stable enough to have other relationships. But now we're there, and we've once again opened it to a polyship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaGirl View Post
polyamorous, monoamorous, polygamous, monogamous. Otherwise abbreviations can mix conversation up.
If we're going to be that specific... since almost no one is (legally) polygamous, and when most people say "monogamous relationship" they actually mean "monosexual, monoamorous relationship" and not merely "married-to-one-person relationship"... Why not make it monoschesi and polyschesi? (schesi being Greek for relationship... I think... that's the phonetic spelling anyway, Google wrote σχέση...) ... or since we're already mixing languages for polyamory, we could also just stick with monoship and polyship, which seem to have caught on nicely...

I know, I know... I'm being pedantic. But since monogamous gets thrown around so much, and it doesn't literally mean what we usually mean it to mean... My opinion is that it actually is more appropriate to just say "mono" with the understanding that it means "monoamorous and monosexual."

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM

I've never enjoyed labeling but I understand that it makes communication across complex ideas much simpler. For us, "mono" and "poly" work just fine.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM

Alright -- it confuses ME.

Sometimes I just have the need to write it out all the way when I'm not sure I am understanding how it is being used... that gives the writer the opportunity to correct me if I guessed wrong.

Galagirl.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
. . . we could also just stick with monoship and polyship, which seem to have caught on nicely . . .
And starship? Or "goodship lollipop?"

Yeccch, let's not. "Monoship" and "polyship" are almost as bad is "frubbly" and "wibbles."

Quote:
I know, I know... I'm being pedantic. But since monogamous gets thrown around so much, and it doesn't literally mean what we usually mean it to mean... My opinion is that it actually is more appropriate to just say "mono" with the understanding that it means "monoamorous and monosexual."
I agree with this. "Mono" and "poly" are sufficient enough in a conversation where breaking it all down isn't relevant to the topic or needed.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 10-22-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Yeccch, let's not. "Monoship" and "polyship" are almost as bad is "frubbly" and "wibbles."
Next you're going to tell me you have a problem with "wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
And starship? Or "goodship lollipop?"

Note to self: google first, then comment. Agreed. Frubbly and wibbles are...disturbing. Only slightly less disturbing than that video.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Next you're going to tell me you have a problem with "wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."
LOL - what the hell is that? Is that actually a phrase I should know? I'm afraid to Google that one, hahaha.

Quote:
Agreed. Frubbly and wibbles are...disturbing. Only slightly less disturbing than that video.
I know! I found that video disturbing, too, and I don't recall that I'd ever found it disturbing before. But all those men's hands on poor little Shirley Temple while she tried to keep her dress down - uck!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 10-23-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
LOL - what the hell is that? Is that actually a phrase I should know? I'm afraid to Google that one, hahaha.
Doctor Who reference...

Comes with a great video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2rfTR1PJkk

Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 AM

Not exactly in the same boat, but for many years I agreed to a "no PiV or PiA sex with anyone else" boundary with MC. Lots of people on this forum would NOT have been okay with that agreement, but at the time it worked for me. Besides occasional idle curious thoughts, I didn't have any desire to. Then, when that desire changed significantly, we started discussing, and eventually a new agreement was reached. I think the key is not resenting the agreement or the person you made the agreement with. Resenting your agreement would probably lead to an unhealthy relationship, but as long as you're basically fine with it (beyond the occasional wonderings/longings that I think are perfectly normal) I see no reason why your choice should be seen as some sort of "half-hearted" commitment. It sounds like you've fully embraced this commitment, just like many partners make commitments to another to do something they wouldn't have chosen for themselves if they were on their own.