Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruki View Post
... attempting to direct the thread back in the direction I had hoped it would go in when I started it, which is to discuss and share stories of that relationship dynamic.
Perhaps, armed with your new-found knowledge, you should start a new thread for your questions. I think your reaction to being told you were misusing a term has doomed this one.

Last edited by Emm; 10-18-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: To add quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
When with a partner (beit male or female) I am more reactive than aggressive and tend to focus on the "little things" that I know will further arouse said partner. This tendency has been great as far as gay relationships go, but not so great as far as my straight relationships go. Apparently most women like an aggressive male.
I've had to learn about this in the past year. I should have learned it sooner, but it took my husband that long to work up the nerve to ask for it...

Like you, I prefer a more aggressive partner. I'm easily seduced, but I have a low sex drive and rarely initiate. For the most part, my husband is fine with that. But about a year ago, he timidly told me is that sometimes he wants me to be more aggressive. So I've been working on that. It's hard because it doesn't come at all naturally. But my efforts have been worth it.

So part of the solution to your whole conundrum could simply be for you to learn to be a little more aggressive. Aside from Dominants, even aggressive gay men like to be chased once in a while.

Quote:
All that said, I'm at an impass. From what I've read, most unicorn hunters search for bisexual females or are gay relationships searching for a male. And whereas the latter is a dynamic I feel would be good for me, it wouldn't be that "perfect" (hypothetical) fit.
I reject the notion of "perfect fit." Mermaids is my new word for "perfect fit." I love my husband dearly. He's a good man, a good provider, a loving partner, everything you would "want in a husband." But man, can he be irritating sometimes. Perfect doesn't exist. That's just life. So the easiest way to find the next best thing to perfect is to give up the attachment to perfection.

Quote:
Also, how do I know if being a unicorn is right for me?
It probably isn't. Oh, I'm not saying you couldn't be happy in a triad. But being attached to the outcome makes it seem like anything else is settling, and no one wants to settle.

Why do you feel the need to be a third person in an existing relationship? What's wrong with just having a girlfriend and a boyfriend who aren't together themselves?

Quote:
All that said, Anyone have any suggestions/experiences/comments as far as their experience as/with a unicorn or in their search for a unicorn/couple?
My experience with unicorns and unicorn hunters mirrors my experience with plane crashes: I've never been in one, but I don't need to experience one first hand to see the devastation they cause. I've literally never seen one work out. I've seen lots of people claim they're in a "unicorn" situation, only to later divulge that part of the relationship has dissolved and now it's a Vee, or else broken up entirely. And of those who have been in a triad for a long time without it falling apart, it was never by intention. They often started as a Vee, and then the other two arms grew closer and closer and eventually fell in love.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, if it were up to this community and my ego were involved, I'm sure it would not just be bruised, but bloodied and dragged through the steets only to have its shallow grave shat upon. (public shamings are fun, i know!) But you poking at it tickles. Lucky for me, every post I've made in this thread have been to express my knowledge of the misuse of the word, my desire to be able to edit the original post, and attempting to direct the thread back in the direction I had hoped it would go in when I started it, which is to discuss and share stories of that relationship dynamic. Maybe I use too long of sentences because very few actually understand that's what I've been saying all along. Never have I claimed I wanted the title or knew what it meant. So, as you- the moderator- have once again taken it off topic, do you have anything to share about this relationship dynamic?
I don't think you would of been dragged anywhere actually, lol. You seem to be doing that on your own I barely noticed your misuse of the word until you went on and on about it.

I already gave you a response and that was to have a look at the stories here by doing a tag search. That seems to of been very uninteresting as you are now asking people to share stuff that has already been shared countless times over again. Someone will bite eventually. I really don't have anything more to add unless the question changes to one that is any different than in the past.

Tags
definitions, descriptions, unicorn, unicorns