Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 PM

I wish there were a way to shut up that emotional part of me that just insists on crying in a corner and periodically screaming THIS SUCKS.

Logical is winning the battle at the moment, but even logical is getting exhausted and sometimes feels like I can't always keep my guard up.

The result of this clash is me periodically feeling anger, hot enough to want to yell or slam or throw things, but I've always been too controlled to emote that way, so I just have to weather those urges.

I know it has been less than a week, but I wish I knew the time frame for when it will start to ease up. At least knowing what is the date to look forward to would help me immensely.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 PM

It's ok to let yourself emote and let it all hang out. It's part of letting it blow on through. It does suck. But if you have to go through some short term UGH to get to your long term best health -- so be it.

You can pick a date. At some point further down. On THIS date? I will choose to do THIS to help me let go.

Spew all the emotion into a letter and burn it, bury it, whatever.

Find an appropriate way to dump cargo you no longer need.

Hang in there.

hugs,
GG
Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Waves are starting to calm down I think. Ripples will persist for a while I am sure, but I think both of us are getting a lot more balanced. We have started up a habit of still having open and honest conversations about it whenever one of us is feeling upset.

He seems to have really gotten out of his initial funk with it. A few days ago when he requested to talk to me he was talking about regretting moving in together, regretting trying to quit smoking in the first place, and feeling like nobody cared about him. Now he is a bit more positive and motivated it seems. Actually admitted last night that he actually thinks it is better and he kind of likes being on a break while he works on this because he knows he has to do it himself.

Still trying to figure out where that comfort line is. He tends toward a hug or a pat on the back if I am upset. It is nonsexual and non-romantic, but at the same time I think it may be a bit too far too soon. I expressed to him that because I am still hurting over the breakup, that getting physical touch from when I get upset may inadvertently reinforce my likelihood to act in those ways (unconsciously but still very real) and that I'd like him to just talk to me or try to get me to talk instead of trying to give a hug or a pat on the back. I thought it was good to tell him as a blanket ahead of time because if I am crying or trying to ward off a panic attack I am not necessarily present or strong enough to refuse that comfort.

He is looking into a number of ADHD treatments. He is especially interested in bupropion right now because it supposedly helps mitigate ADHD in many cases, acts as a mild antidepressant without as many side effects as SSRIs and is also FDA approved for helping people to quit smoking. It can be used in conjunction with the stimulants that are used more typically to mitigate ADHD symptoms.

I guess it'll just take more time for the awkwardness of interactions and stuff to pass. We have to learn to be friends without being romantic/sexual.

As some of the initial nastiness is starting to abate, I'm finding a new and a bit unexpected challenge. I caught myself twice last night almost ready to give him a kiss on the top of the head after I did so with my fiance before going to bed just out of habit. I imagine those habits are going to start popping up now that the crisis mode is over and I'm going to have to keep a really good eye on them. I haven't let any of them slip, but I hope that they stop happening soon because it is kind of depressing that an unconscious habit is bringing the conscious pain back, even if temporarily.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 PM

From what you've described I think it might be possible that he have some kind of undiagnosed mood or personality disorder. Sometimes we act out in ways that don't make sense because there are underlying things going on.

I'm not sure how willing he'd be to go to a doctor to see about that but I think you could do some reading up on them in the meantime, so you can maybe see where he might fall.

SN: This is just a suggestion; I'm not a therapist or mental health professional, I just think it could be a possibility.*

Mental Health America: Personality Disorders
http://www.nmha.org/go/information/g...lity-disorders

Mental Health America: Mood Disorders
http://www.nmha.org/go/mood-disorders
Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM

I'm pretty sure it isn't a personality disorder. I've dealt with a few people diagnosed with them and they tend to draw people into them and be human wrecking balls. D isn't like that, he just elicits facepalm reactions most of the time.

Honestly, once I started looking around for adult ADHD he spot-on hits just about every single symptom. I'm highly inclined to think that is the case.

There may be some kind of comorbid mood disorder, although it seems like ADHD comes with mood swings on its own, so I'm not sure. I'll have him mention mood disorders to his psychologist when he goes back.

Thanks for the suggestions!