Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandalin View Post
Hey! I resemble that statement!

And believe me, if I could have the sex too, I would.
Hmmm at 37 weeks you might just want to go ahead and get that baby of yours out quicker
Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 PM

For me, the NRE is fun and can be enjoyed while also remembering what it is and that it will pass. Not only will it pass, but the next phase is where the shadow work is done. As the NRE is phasing out, not only do we begin to see each other for who we truly are, but we begin to see all of the darkest parts of each other. The person who looked like a saint last week suddenly looks like the devil and that can be confusing.....and frustrating. I'm sure a lot of people break up during that phase.....just not being able to work through the conflicting images.

Have you ever heard someone say "Everything was great until we got married/moved in together and then she/he changed. From a nice person to an horrilble completely different person"

I think we can prolong that NRE for a while and it's good to do that, but it would not be smart to make a serious committment with someone until after the NRE has passed and the "true/terrible" quailities of each partner have been seen and dealt with by both people.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbylicious View Post
The question is, is it possible to get that true connection back once it has been lost?
Absolutely. A lot of relationships end due to circumstances: someone moves away, a death of a loved one makes them unable to deal with life for a while, etc. Other relationships end because the two people just aren't in the right space in their lives to make it work.

In either case, they can meet up years later when their lives are completely different, and find that the spark never went away.

After not speaking for 20 years (her family moved away when we were 8), my best friend and I realized we were again living in the same city, hundreds of miles from where we grew up and thousands of miles from where she'd moved to. We went out for coffee, and I was wondering whether we would still have anything in common. Turns out, we both grew up into almost the exact same person: same sense of humor, similar education background, same reason for being in that city. It was spooky but it felt completely comfortable and "right".

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 06-19-2010, 11:47 PM

Oh... the timing of this thread is so apt right now... *sigh*
As much as I love NRE, it sure does make for some complicated situations.
I can be very impulsive which can make NRE feel like some wild animal I have to contain.
I would hazard a guess that perhaps once a relationship enters into that wonderful passionate, trusting stage when you know that you really have that connection that perhaps the temptation can be there to experience it again with someone else?
Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklady78 View Post
Oh... the timing of this thread is so apt right now... *sigh*
As much as I love NRE, it sure does make for some complicated situations.
I can be very impulsive which can make NRE feel like some wild animal I have to contain.
I would hazard a guess that perhaps once a relationship enters into that wonderful passionate, trusting stage when you know that you really have that connection that perhaps the temptation can be there to experience it again with someone else?
I feel you on this one booklady. I understand this completely. There is temptation to feel it again, but really, I have come to know that perhaps things will change far and beyond what I really want in my life and that I need to keep it in check in order to keep my balance with other loves, the one I could have the NRE with and their lives.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:51 PM

I guess if a person was addicted to NRE, she could exclusively date people she knew she wasn't compatible with, so that the connection would never form, thus ensuring that the relationship is ended upon the conclusion of NRE...

I wonder if that has anything to do with those girls who always date the bad boys. They're sexy and romantic, but they always cheat on her, giving her an excuse to dump their sorry asses without guilt... hmmm.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 PM

crazy chicks who love "drama" aka: NRE, who date dicks and always complain about them but have one after another after another....hrmm, sounds damn familiar.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
I wonder if that has anything to do with those girls who always date the bad boys. They're sexy and romantic, but they always cheat on her, giving her an excuse to dump their sorry asses without guilt... hmmm.
Great observation and likely true. Like any drug, always looking for the next hit, regardless of the potential damage.

hmmmm
Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 PM

Yeah, and what about a couple who has a fight and breaks up at least once a month. It's so traumatic......and then, they get back together and experience this incredible high again. They become addicted to the high and therefore continue a pattern of getting along for a while until bored, fighting, breaking up, time apart, missing each other, getting back together in an ecstatic state of jubilation......boredom.....etc.....
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 AM

Is that like makeup sex? We never have makeup sex, even when we do argue. Hubby's slow to forgive, so he gets really bummed out for a long time after an argument. I guess we have "makeup cuddle" but it's not nearly as intense as I've hear makeup sex is supposed to be...