Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 PM

Default what do your partners kids call you?

I have been in a poly quad with my wife, my gf and her husband for a year. my gf has a daughter who has called me uncle her whole life and is going to turn three soon. I just had a son with my wife. I had a discussion with my gf about what the kids call us and she feels calling us aunt and uncle is weird because my gf wouldnt kiss or go to bed with her other uncles. so i was wondering if anyone else used any different titles or if its better not to use titles at all.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:34 PM

My name.

"Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. " -- Louis de Bernières
Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 AM

My kids call Murf by his name.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 AM

When my husband and I were together, my stepson called me by my first name. Now, if I were to date anyone who has kids, that is how I wish to be addressed.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me.
~Bryan Ferry
Old 06-05-2013, 03:02 AM

Same, by my name. It's special to me, because he's so young that he very rarely addresses anyone by their name, but he knows mine and says it regularly. He can sometimes be prompted to say someone else's name, but the names he really knows are "Mama", "Daddy", and "Anna".
Old 06-05-2013, 04:01 AM

I grew up calling close friends of my parents and some other moms in the neighborhood aunt and uncle. It just meant closeness. I'm pregnant now and if things go well with my husbands girlfriend my baby will call her aunt X.

I never had any issue seeing the difference between a friend aunt or a family aunt so who is sleeping with who doesn't matter, I think.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 AM

thanks for the input!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM

My daughter used to call my ex Mummy [given name here], but my husband had a problem with that. Now, she calls her Aunt [given name]. Titles are no big deal to me. If my ex were to have or adopt children, I would prefer to be called by my name or a nickname.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:12 PM

I've never understood the whole calling someone aunty or uncle when they aren't, but maybe that's just because I didn't grow up with that. My parents had close friends, and I always just referred to them by name.

Like, if your kids refer to your friend as aunty, do you refer to her as your sister? I have one friend whom I think of more as a sister than a friend, but even then her kids just think of me by name.

"Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. " -- Louis de Bernières
Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 PM

By my name.

- Tao Te Ching

Tags
kids, parenting, partners