Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 PM

I once dated an ex-seminary student who had studied to become a Catholic priest. He wanted to write about his experiences, don't know if he ever did. Anyway, he told me that just about every night he and his fellow novitiates were either up on the roof smoking pot or visiting their secret girlfriends in the nearby town.

Just thought I'd add my useless two cents about priests and celibacy, though it seems this thread has gone wa-a-a-ay off-topic.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 AM

The ex-Catholic guy I've been talking to said seminaries he's heard about are hotbeds of gay sex.

So, celibacy for priests? Not happening. Who are they to tell us how to run our sex lives? I've asked that question all my life, and my answer is, they have no place advising people on sex.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

There's no lying in polyamory!

I'm a 58 year old woman with 2 partners:
miss pixi, my live-in gf, 36 (together since Jan '09)
Ginger, bf, 61, married, lives nearby (together since Jan '12)
Old 07-16-2011, 12:36 AM

OK, this is way off the current topic but is pertinent to the thread (I suppose)so I am posting it here.

At the beginning of this year I started doing AA. This involves a 12 step programme where you search out a relationship with "A God of your understanding'. I have searched all my life for such a relationship through both christianity and more new age philosophies but never found it to the extent I have through AA.

The further I get into the programme the more difficulty I seem to have accepting being in a committed relationship with someone polyamorous. My daughter, who is very christian tells me this is because the concept of polyamory is not of God (her God anyway). A God of my understanding is impossible to explain but does not have such prejudices. He does however want me to be happy and I'm wondering if the way this is manifesting is an indication that this relationship is perhaps not the best platform for my peace and happiness moving forward.

I have these thoughts on one hand and on the other I think that this is just me battling my ego. I pray about it everyday but would be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 AM

Your god is a "he?" Why? Imagine her as a she and see if it helps.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Old 07-16-2011, 12:45 AM

He is a he because I do look on him as a kind of father figure and it kind of comes naturally, but it could just as easily be a her and a mother figure.

Can I just add that part of the problem could also be that my partner has zero interest in anything spiritual. He is highly intelligent and emotionally intelligent but if something can't be proved he has no interest in thinking about it.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 AM

My dad has Aspergers and was always kind of distant, so when I was asked to think of god as a father, it never felt all that comforting.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:03 AM

The celibacy thing reminds me of this Bible passage:
1 Timothy 3:2 — “A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach.”

From what I heard, the Catholic Church did not want priests to marry because of inheritance issues if they had a wife. I have not verified that so that it for what it si worth.

I know a Catholic priest can have a wife if he first marries as a protestant preacher and then converts. There is always a theistic loophole to do whatever you want.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:33 PM

To this day, it is a not very well kept secret that many priests have "housekeepers" who are wives, for all intents and purposes...

Old 07-18-2011, 03:20 PM

As a young boy I worked for the Catholic church for numerous years. I can honestly say that no preist ever aproached me for sex and I spent a lot of alone time with them.

That being said I do have a cousin who committed suicide at 14 and it was suspected that something was happening to him at the church.

People exagerate while others gloss over things...it just depends what your agenda is.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
To this day, it is a not very well kept secret that many priests have "housekeepers" who are wives, for all intents and purposes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
The ex-Catholic guy I've been talking to said seminaries he's heard about are hotbeds of gay sex.

So, celibacy for priests? Not happening. Who are they to tell us how to run our sex lives? I've asked that question all my life, and my answer is, they have no place advising people on sex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I once dated an ex-seminary student who had studied to become a Catholic priest. He wanted to write about his experiences, don't know if he ever did. Anyway, he told me that just about every night he and his fellow novitiates were either up on the roof smoking pot or visiting their secret girlfriends in the nearby town.

Just thought I'd add my useless two cents about priests and celibacy, though it seems this thread has gone wa-a-a-ay off-topic.
None of this information surprises me. The Catholic church is an enormous organization so there's bound to be more abusers of the system than pious devotees willing to sacrifice all worldly temptation for a higher calling. Plus, if you look at the way the Catholic teachings work generally, they are designed to receive sinners, no matter how depraved, and nurture their conscience into being using confession and repetitive dogmatic teaching. So surely the idea is that whatever sins people are guilty of in joining the church will gradually be washed away as they rise to the calling. Probably many people just get inspired and give it a shot and give up trying. Some others probably go into it with no intent of ever becoming sincere, but that is also true of any organization, isn't it?

Tags
christianity, religion