Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Default Monogamy vs. Polyamory

Pardon me if this has already been posted before but I thought I'd share anyways for those who yet to come across it.

Seems like there's a lot of hatred toward the Polyamory lifestyle as exhibited by this article.

I come across this sort of stuff every now and then and I find it humorous actually. Mainly because I didn't even realize Polyamory, as a lifestyle, was popular enough to attract such hatred.

Mention the words Polyamory or Polyamorous to the average person, and I bet they'll respond like, "Poly what?"

Anyways...what's your take on articles such as this?

Last edited by Marco; 04-28-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM

My first response is anything that is different will have haters. Poly, while it might seem new isn't. People automatically attach it polygamy etc. Its a difficult concept to grasp...everyone has their one and only, right?

My second response is a lot more...ignorant I suppose. I am glad his God doesn't appreciate my polyamorous behaviour...thank god I don't answer to his God... Preaching for me puts my ruffles up almost immediately. Its a great way to get me ignoring what you are saying.

As for

Quote:
Mention the words Polyamory or Polyamorous to the average person, and I bet they'll respond like, "Poly what?"
Thats why I just say I am open. Its easier, has no context and doesn't imply something like "I want to love a bunch of people"...personally I am in an open relationship and I have the possibility/ability to fall in love with others. So poly was simply an extension of what I was already doing. I didn't love everyone I was with when I was single, I don't think thats possible with everyone I may be with....but again thats my personal understanding and attachment. Either way, the people that hate it will be haters ...

Man I am having a serious problem with the english language today. I can't form proper sentences or even spell....arg
Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 PM

I always find it semi-amusing, in the sarcastic sense, when people make up facts but don't tell their sources, for instance the abortion rates of poly vs. mono people. But considering the author of the original article, I can't be too surprised.

My one question though revolves around his use of this statement, "polymorphous serial polygamy, or “polyamory” for short." I swear he just threw some words together!

polymorphous: "The occurrence of different forms, stages, or types in individual organisms or in organisms of the same species, independent of sexual variations" and "having, taking, or passing through many different forms or stages"

polygamy: "the practice of having more than one wife or husband at the same time"

Dude needs to do his research when he's throwing words and concepts before making this crap up. Basically it looks like he's saying polyamory is continually changing multi-person marriages.

But as I said, I'm not too surprised. As Ariakas said, anything different will have people who hate (read "fear") it. And when trying to prove their point, will separate and ignore any positive aspects of that different thing.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 AM

Oh my...

My personal favourite in the article was not the article itself but the lovely racism thread started at the bottom... because that really gave some nice credibility to this piece of 'journalism'.

I also laughed out loud at one of the comments saying something about being supportive of poly, but only the 'moderate' form of it. If someone could please define what 'moderate polyamory' is, I would be most grateful for the enlightenment.

What do I think of this kind of view on polyamory? I think the average, sane, person would see this article as narrow-minded, hateful bigotry.

People are free to disagree with polyamory, I don't have an issue with people thinking it's wrong based on their individual belief system. Making broad, unsubstantiated, and outlandish statements like those in this article only make the writer look foolish and easily discredited. Writing an article does not make one a 'journalist'. Makes for a fine piece of trashy fiction though :P
Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 AM

I was already thinking "crazy" and then I got to the part about how polyamory creates equal gender roles... and he's saying it as if it's a bad thing.

Also I'd love to know why polyamory is expensive - that just made me laugh. Because you are going on more dates?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:41 AM

hmmm. Most of that is contradictory or doesn't even make sense.

Wow - this dude is not bright.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:50 AM

There's another thread that links to an article by the same author with the same set of ridiculous points.

I also really want to know how polyamory is more expensive to society. Expensive in what sense? To whom? The larger the support network someone has, the less likely they will need assistance from the government in tough times. Particularly because we are a "sterile and contracting culture" that is never the less after your children.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I was already thinking "crazy" and then I got to the part about how polyamory creates equal gender roles... and he's saying it as if it's a bad thing.

Also I'd love to know why polyamory is expensive - that just made me laugh. Because you are going on more dates?
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! Just the synopsis and critique made me laugh out loud. Yes he is crazy and uninformed...no doubt! I wonder how many "poly" men realize that this is a lifestyle for gender equality in a relationship as well as their liberation from controlling sex and love and family in a patriarchal system.
Do they know they are trailblazers for Women's Rights. LMAO! I would never challenge the fact that this writer points out gender equality in a poly lifestyle or dispute that poly women realize and exercise their independent thoughts on life and living it. Thanks guy for emphasizing exactly what monogamy at its root is!! Sorry monos...but I don't consider you socially backward if you are on here...you are just coming to terms with traditional indoctrination! Right? LOL!
Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 AM

My opinion of it is, it's the usual "blah blah blah"

Racists, homophobes, religious zealouts... anyone with an internet connection and two fingers can write a bunch of crap and post it on a website. They'll always be there, and they'll always spew garbage. And I'll just keep on ignoring them.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 04-29-2010, 06:52 AM

Quoting the article: "In the culture of monogamy, gender roles are more differentiated, with women more likely to devote their time to the tasks of motherhood and the men more likely to be the sole or main source of family income. The culture of polyamory is much more androgynous, its main focus being equality of outcomes for both men and women in the workplace and in the home. "

Ha ha, and this is bad about Poly because???????.........

Tags
mono/poly, religion