Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-02-2009, 07:04 PM
rolypoly's Avatar
rolypoly rolypoly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 350
Default Telling someone I'm poly and the problems that brings...

I’ve had this experience a few times. I’m involved with someone in a poly arrangement. We go out dancing. A guy hits on me.

Ok, then it gets complicated.
What I want: To be able to move past the novelty, confusion and misrepresentations about poly.
What actually happens: Telling a guy I’ve just met that I am involved with someone, but we’re poly often translates into, “I’m open minded and therefore have no boundaries, so anything goes. Now you have permission to put your paws all over me because I’m one of those girls”.

I have so far never found myself in a poly circle where I meet someone new and we can move past the assumptions that poly=slut. Just because I’m involved with someone else, but open to others does not mean I want to move from “Hi, what’s your name?” to making out in the corner in one hour!!!!

It does mean that I am interested in talking to you and finding out about you. Connecting with people is a huge part of what feeds me, but it is often non-sexual. Getting to a sexual level often takes me a while. Of course! I would like to feel free to talk about my S/O, (within reason, of course) because that person is part of my life. And you are free to talk about your interests, potential S/Os, etc. And I would like to move as slowly with you as I did with the person I am in a poly relationship with!

I want to move past the initial stage of adopting poly as a lifestyle, ie: I’m in a primary relationship where I find my stability, so now I can fuck around freely because my “serious” needs are met. All secondary relationships are loose and casual.

Ugh, that’s not at all what I want!

I would like to start being around more poly circles. I would like the people I meet to know that I am falling in love with 'R' and still be considered in the same way I would be if I were single. In other words, not defined by him and my relationship with him. I would like to remain a separate person. Please get to know him as him. Yes, we have a lot in common and many points of contact with each other, but you will have different and unique points of contact with him. Please explore the ones that emerge between you and I separately from the ones that emerge between you and 'R'.

Another thing that happens is I start to feel shallow with the romance of NRE. 'R' and I held hands and kissed for the first time a few days ago. So, meeting this guy at the party who cuddled with me, he said similar things like, “your hands are so soft”, etc.

I don’t want to only be a shiny new toy with soft hands. I want to know your bliss, desires, fears. I want you to be real, have integrity, do real-world things with your life. I don’t want to get lost in your sea of zen-like non-attachment, which for me translates into you not knowing what you want from life and having less ambition than what feeds me.

I don’t want poly to automatically mean that my standards and integrity go away. Poly is not synonymous with “anything goes”!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-02-2009, 07:09 PM
River's Avatar
River River is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NM, USA
Posts: 1,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolypoly View Post
I don’t want poly to automatically mean that my standards and integrity go away. Poly is not synonymous with “anything goes”!!
Polyamory is still relatively under the radar, unfortunately. But MUCH more awareness is entering our culture/s.

The problem your post seeks to address is one of the best reasons/arguments for polyamory activism in the form of public / social education. There ought to be fliers, posters, billboards saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolypoly View Post
I don’t want poly to automatically mean that my standards and integrity go away. Poly is not synonymous with “anything goes”!!
Maybe some national / international poly orgs could fundraise for a radio ad? That would help!
__________________
bi, partnered, available

River's Blog
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Custodian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,221
Default

I am wary about telling people for the same reasons, because a lot of people think it means I'm a sex-starved nymphomaniac who wants to find as many people to have sex with in as short a time period as possible.

I don't even identify AS "poly". I identify as a married person who is open to becoming involved in other relationships but is not actively seeking "partners".

I have already done the whole "experience the people" thing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolypoly View Post

I want to move past the initial stage of adopting poly as a lifestyle, ie: I’m in a primary relationship where I find my stability, so now I can fuck around freely because my “serious” needs are met. All secondary relationships are loose and casual.
WOW! This comment is very interesting but I can't figure out why. Maybe because I see truth in it for some people...very cool, something to think about.
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
rolypoly's Avatar
rolypoly rolypoly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by River
Polyamory is still relatively under the radar, unfortunately. But MUCH more awareness is entering our culture/s.
Yay for that!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-02-2009, 07:28 PM
rolypoly's Avatar
rolypoly rolypoly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
a lot of people think it means I'm a sex-starved nymphomaniac who wants to find as many people to have sex with in as short a time period as possible.
Exactly!!!! There is a middle ground.

Especially among men, who unfortunately are socialized into respecting another man's "territory". My experience with men has been that they back way off when I say I'm in a relationship. Then, they come back full force when they learn that it's in fact, a poly relationship.

Instead of understanding the potential shades of grey that can be explored, they seem to react as if the - pardon my bluntness - circle of urine that they perceived surrounded me is no longer there, but with the added perception that now I'm of a different breed. As you say, the "sex-starved nymphomaniac" breed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-02-2009, 07:29 PM
River's Avatar
River River is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NM, USA
Posts: 1,894
Default

Mono,

Please note that after the part you quoted she said: "Ugh, that’s not at all what I want!"
__________________
bi, partnered, available

River's Blog
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-02-2009, 07:29 PM
rolypoly's Avatar
rolypoly rolypoly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
WOW! This comment is very interesting...
Now we're even. And we're both still clothed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-02-2009, 07:38 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Mono,

Please note that after the part you quoted she said: "Ugh, that’s not at all what I want!"
Oh I didn't mean that I thought Roly wanted that..but I think it's an avenue of thought to explore inside my underemPloyed brain LOL! I

Sorry Roly
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 PM
rolypoly's Avatar
rolypoly rolypoly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 350
Default

You mean, your underemPOLYed brain?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:32 AM.