Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 06:53 AM

Default Facebook Friends

What criteria do you use to add Facebook friends? I'm curious, especially after seeing so many "add me" signatures.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 AM

For me, Facebook friends come in 3 categories:

Real life friends (who have complete access)
Online friends (who I've met on various sites)
Clients (who have limited access)

My FB page is as much a marketing tool for my business and my message board as it is for my friends ... so I'm pretty careful about who I add.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 AM

I realized I didn't give my criteria.

I'm a political activist, so I use my political platform as a guide. If someone is in my network of friends and like-minded people, I'll add them.

Additionally, if I know someone personally (and I consider online relationships to be personal relationships) I'll add them.

There are some exceptions to these rules, but that's a new thread. :P
Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Custodian

Everything that I share on my Facebook page are the kinds of things you would know about me if you met me at a party or something. My photo albums and notes are tweaked for specific people or groups of people, but there is no information on there that I wouldn't shout from the rooftops anyway, and certainly nothing "secret" that I would be worried about getting in trouble for (not that I ever do anything like that, I'm an absolute goody-two-shoes and would never even do so much as jaywalk). Also, I check my credit report for strange activity, but my credit score isn't that great in the first place so no one would get very far with it even if they did try to steal my identity.

So to answer your question - I'm pretty laid-back about adding people, but I do treat it on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited by NeonKaos; 12-16-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:40 PM

I'm more picky about family and people I know than I am about total strangers. I don't care what strangers know about me but am guarded about what "actual" friends see and know. I have 483 facebook friends and less than 50 of them are actually people I know or care to know. I simply add them to fill up a sad little facebook game I play LOL! I'm not a privacy advocate or paranoid about identity theft...I've got nothing to hide on there.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 12-16-2009, 05:07 PM

The bulk my friends on FB are people I attended school with. Some of Curly's relatives whom I've never met are also in my group, plus my sister and sister-in-law (though my daughter is on FB, she's not on my friends list, yet her mother is). Then I have Burner peeps, Pagan peeps, drum corps peeps, and some folks left over from my first batch of friends on FB.

When I first joined, I found a group and contributed to it right away. The founder of the group was pleasantly surprised (it was a music group with few formally-trained musicians on it) by me offering up a bunch of information out of the blue. He made me an officer of the group and directed people from his network to friend me. I had a group of 70 or so friends pop up--musicians from around the world. Once I got my feet under me, I pared most of them from my friends list, though a few remain that I've had direct interaction with online.

I'm not terribly picky about adding folks to the FB friends list. I don't blog anything extremely personal there. I blog (and repost it) on other sites, so my friends lists on those sites are much smaller. On Tribe or LJ, my standards are much different for adding folks to my list, for that's where my blog appears with all sorts of juicy stuff in it--whether debuting art or reporting medical results (and how unemployment is literally killing me slowly) or how I processed the breakup with L all those months ago.

The peeps on those sites all know I'm poly and Pagan, along with hearing about the drum corps, the artwork, the other hobbies, and so on and so forth. Some of the folks on FB do, most don't. At least one has figured out Curly and I are poly from my profile, though I doubt most would bother to put two and two together.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:11 AM

I have mostly poly friends and highschool friends. Makes for interesting comments sometimes

I don't have much criteria, but I do a lot of privacy stuff where necessary. Sometimes I feel I am waaaayyy to out there and feel vulnerable to some people, so I block them from stuff...

haven't figured out how to get "privacy" for videos though.. still working on that. Anyone?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:41 PM

I love making new facebook friends.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:07 AM

In general, I'm fairly liberal about who I friend... I have friends from elementary school, high school, college. People from my industry. Coworkers. Family... I tend to be a little more reserved about people I meet on message boards, I don't usually friend them on FB unless I've gotten to know them via IM.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:30 PM

I like facebook for the game apps. So I have added a lot of strangers just so I can have neighbors on my apps. I don't use facebook like I do myspace. I have no pictures on my facebook or anything. It's not my main social network. It's just the one with the best apps.

Tags
facebook, friends