Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 03:19 AM

I can't see any reason why poly should be age-restricted. That seems silly.

I do remember that everything was faster and more urgent when I was young, and I'm not talking about sex. Well, not just that! But I think it would have been a lot harder for me to be careful and thoughtful in relationships than it is now. So maybe dealing with the challenges of poly is sometimes harder for younger poly folk? Or that could be bullshit. I dunno.

Quote:
Others are more moderate [on the poly scale]; they could go either way, and so what they do winds up depending on who they meet and how their community reacts and what they consciously decide is a good idea.
Yeah. I'm probably not poly really, I just adore a woman who is. But I don't seem to have typical mono emotions like possessiveness and jealousy, and poly feels natural. If I had to apply a label to myself it would be "lucky"...
Old 04-25-2010, 04:06 AM

Too young to be poly...too young to be in love...too young to be wise... There are a lot of things that people are supposed to be too young for. I don't believe most of them. Too young to understand all of the consequences of your actions before acting? That one I can agree with only because when young, as Eugene pointed out, everything seems more urgent so one is less likely to take the time to figure out all (or even as many as possible) of the consequences. Then again, a lot of older people don't do that either.

One is never to young to love, so one can never be too young to be poly, just as one is never too old to love, so one can never be too old to be poly either.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 AM

My daughter is 17. She just came out to me as poly when we were talking about high school graduation and college etc.

She said Mom, why are you surprised? You raised me to love people. I have known 2 fathers, my bio one and S as my uncle. I have loved them both. Because of how you lived mother, I know the difference between poly and promiscuous. And since I recently came out to her as being sexually abused, she added that I raised her great, and she had not been abused or harmed by our poly life (V's) even tho of course she didn't know it as poly. She said she just knew it as loving.

It made my day.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:17 PM

Default The age thing

I think age has nothing to do with what's in one's heart !

We ( mate & I) have been truly "poly" since young teens ! This is no reference to sexuality either, even though the expression of that lovestyle has been open to sex as much as anything.
We discovered early that love and connection have no theoretical limits.

The concern we might have about age - which is in reality more about experience and culture than a number - is probably that "trying on of hats" you speak of. When we are young we have a natural desire to get out there and experience life and often times we don't do much homework in preparation for that. Just jump in, assume our invincibility and go for it !

We've also seen, and experienced, a wider population getting wind of something that looked promising, wanting to climb on the bandwagon, but in the process bring all their baggage, negativity, bad habits and ethics with them. Big alarm bells there. Natural skepticism here. Have seen whole promising cultures destroyed from within from infiltration of undesirables.

With youth, the lack of experience and inability to see how those factors play in and how to spot them a mile off and take the necessary detour is one of the risks. Study, consultation with those more experienced and knowledgeable is imperative. The old saying about "those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" has a lot of validity. Translating to "those who are unwilling to listen and do the necessary work" are a danger not to be ignored.

This has NOTHING to do with AGE !
It's all about an attitude. If you seek a better way, there are those in the world that honor and support that. If you are just an infiltrator, looking to reap the benefits with none of the effort, then you need to find another world.

If that makes sense.

GS
Old 04-29-2010, 04:56 PM

I had no word for it, and suspected that it was wrong to have these feelings, but I realised I was poly in my mid-teens. If there had been these sorts of resources out there then, I would have very definitely self-identified as poly back then.

So no, I don't think that any age-group has the monopoly on poly, nor should it.

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb

Tags
age, ageism