Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 01:03 PM

Default Proposals in polyamory

For those of you who had some sort of ceremony, or are interested in having one, I'm curious about proposals in polyamorous relationship.

Does anyone have experience with proposing to two people at once (or within a small amount of time if it happened separately), or proposing to someone when one of the two (or both) was married to another person already?

Did the proposal come from a male? A female? What were the circumstances, how was it phrased? Did it follow the monogamous traditions or did it incorporate some poly twists?

And if you are planning on proposing in such a situation but haven't at this time, how are you planning to do it?

A proposal made to one person while both people were single can also count if it included polyamory (for instance "would you be one of my spouses?" or something)

Of course, I realise many people aren't interested in marriage/civil unions/commitment ceremonies, and it's a touchy subject due to it being illegal in many places. But it does happen, and I was curious about it.

My curiosity was spurted by someone describing a proposal that, while straight and monogamous, was non-traditional as the female proposed to the male (plus, it was geeky. She asked if he would be her Player Two. Totally my type of proposal).
Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 PM

I would actually like to learn more on this.. I am in a triad-mono and I didnt even know this was possible...
Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkj4 View Post
I would actually like to learn more on this.. I am in a triad-mono and I didnt even know this was possible...
I'm afraid I have no clue what a triad-mono is. It seems the two are kind of contradictory. Do you mean a closed/polyfidelous triad?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:59 PM

Yes a closed tria. Me SMS my bf been together got 10 years and been with gf for 3 yrs
Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
My curiosity was spurted by someone describing a proposal that, while straight and monogamous, was non-traditional as the female proposed to the male (plus, it was geeky. She asked if he would be her Player Two. Totally my type of proposal).
Mmmm.... Hello, fellow redditor.
- and in a 3yr online LDR with the Ninja.

Still very much feeling our way in this world.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 PM

My husband and I actually just proposed to our girlfriend.

My husband and I are high school sweethearts; we began dating our girlfriend almost a year ago. The three of us have discussed what the future looks like for us (home, land, kids, pets, etc.).

My husband and I discussed proposing and decided to go for it. We shopped for a ring, planned a weekend getaway to Gatlinburg, and after a fabulous day proposed.

Nothing fancy. He express his love for her and how important she was to him. The I did the same. We decided I should actually ask her to marry us and present the ring--because often ppl think I sometimes just follow my husbands ideas.

She was completely shocked, overwhelmed, and giddy. When she returned to work, many of her coworkers commented on her glowing.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:26 AM

That's a great story! Congratulations
Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 AM

CWC...that was a REALLY nice story, thank you for posting it Congratulations to the three of you!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 AM

CWC!
Wow! awesome story
Congratulations to all of you and thanks so much for sharing such a sweet post. Really made my/our night!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the support! Now the hard part: planning...