Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 AM

My theory (and YMMV) is that NRE is not so much about the person you're with, as it is about your infatuation with yourself. You are suddenly attractive to someone, and loveable, and your self esteem shoots through the roof! But you've gotta get that fix, get that mutual admiration society started, and so you feel desperate for contact, in person, by email, by phone, whatever, just some affirmation that you are as wonderful as you have discovered that you are.

I'm not talking about solid, healthy self esteem, though, and doing things to consciously focus on healthy self esteem can help you feel less desperate for the new person.

I believe that NRE fades as you really get to know them, as you start to let yourself see them as complex people (with aspects you like and aspects you don't), and not just as a mirror for yourself.

That's my theory, anyway.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strixish View Post
My theory (and YMMV) is that NRE is not so much about the person you're with, as it is about your infatuation with yourself...

That's my theory, anyway.
Wow strixish, that's a great perspective. I never thought of it like that before, but I think that's definitely a huge contributing factor to NRE
Old 08-28-2012, 11:22 AM

Smile

Just an update to thank everyone for their responses. After two months, things have settled down to a much more positive glowy feeling! I think most of the negativity was actually limerance (from what I understand of the term) and as we've got closer we have become more relaxed with each other and I've become less nervous.

The addictive behaviour is still there, but it feels more like an excited anticipation than enforced abstinence, which is a Good Thing.

Tags
anxiety, nre