Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Introductions

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 02:38 AM

Default Mono Wife - Secondary? What?

Well, yeah - so the title says it all - ok, maybe not all but a lot. I'm new here and decided tonight that I'm going to start a blog to help me with my personal journey. I just moved downstairs from my husband who is working hard to make his GF his primary. I'm mono but he's decidedly poly - it's been very difficult for me. So I'm here to learn more and work on me.

Any/all input welcomed!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpoly86 View Post
Well, yeah - so the title says it all - ok, maybe not all but a lot. I'm new here and decided tonight that I'm going to start a blog to help me with my personal journey. I just moved downstairs from my husband who is working hard to make his GF his primary. I'm mono but he's decidedly poly - it's been very difficult for me. So I'm here to learn more and work on me.

Any/all input welcomed!
It's my belief that as your husband, he's made a commitment to you. Why are you being relegated to the lower levels of the house?

As the secondary, are you taking on secondary roles? No longer responsible for chores, bills, etc? Not to pour salt on the wound here but I just don't see the logic here.

Kyle: 27 year old male
Katie (rymmare): 25 year old female
Kids: girl: 5 years old, boy: 3 years old
Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 AM

I'd have to say-it's always good to write. Helps a lot to order your mind.

But, for replies-it would be helpful if we had a better picture of the situation.

Welcome to the board.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:54 AM

Yes, please expand....

I'm feel like to be able to give sound advice and help in relating to your situation, more information is necessary. But once it's given, I'm sure we would all love to help you sort through things.

Welcome

me- (25/pan/f/poly/Libra)
XIV- my husband (25/bi/m/poly/Taurus-Gemini cusp)
Doodle- my son (11 months little Leo baby)
Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 AM

For those of you that have been wondering, the beginning to her journey has been posted in the blog section.

Welcome, Pocketpoly, and I hope that you get the support and/or feedback you are looking for from the wonderful people here. Your journey has been and will continue to be an interesting one, I'm sure, so thank you in advance for sharing it with us!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:28 PM

im clearly very new to this but.. secondaries dont have responcibilities? (chores/bills/etc?)
Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyinthecloset View Post
im clearly very new to this but.. secondaries dont have responcibilities? (chores/bills/etc?)
There was a discussion on the forums a while back (I'm on my phone so searching for it isn't an option) that discussed the roles of secondaries vs primaries. Basically, what I took away was that a primary was someone you lived with and shared responsibilities such as chores, bills, taking care of any kids, etc. Secondaries, on the other hand, were more like friends or someone you were dating but you weren't super serious with yet. You'll do stuff like to out with them, pay for their meals, whatever, but you wouldn't pay their house or rent payment for them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, that's the difference between a primary and a secondary. I don't expect anyone that is my secondary to be responsible for stuff and don't expect to be held responsible for it either.

Kyle: 27 year old male
Katie (rymmare): 25 year old female
Kids: girl: 5 years old, boy: 3 years old
Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM

ok, don’t take anything I say here the wrong way, not criticizing, just trying to understand.

You said secondary’s are like people you date, but aren’t super serious yet, what if it becomes super serious? do you consider them a second primary? I would have assumed if they move in its serious and I would have assumed bills/rent/etc would start when they move in,

... or do secondary’s get extra benefits (no chores/bills) because they are still seen as a guest even when its serious and long term? Or are secondary’s usually only ok with being “second” for so long so it usually doesn’t last long enough to be considered “permanent” hence the guest type benefits?

clearly I’m very new to this so it feels over my head, just trying to wrap around everything, and I know everyone peobubly has their own situation that works for them, I guess im just trying to figure out what the "norm" is that seems to work for most people and how it works
Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
You said secondary’s are like people you date, but aren’t super serious yet, what if it becomes super serious? do you consider them a second primary? I would have assumed if they move in its serious and I would have assumed bills/rent/etc would start when they move in
Exactly that, they become a primary too. There are many poly relationships with joint primaries.

Some people even go with primary, secondary and tertiary. primary is a live-in that share all the day-to-day decisions, child-rearing, etc. Secondaries share in the BIG decision-making - like whether everyone is going to move out-of-state and so on - there is a degree of commitment to that relationship. Tertiaries are far more casual - like FWBs - that you together with once in a while but who don't really have a high level of commitment. It's not about degrees of love, it's about the mechanics of the relationship.

As the mechanics change and relationships evolve, then it's quite possible to go between any one of these.

Quote:
clearly I’m very new to this so it feels over my head, just trying to wrap around everything, and I know everyone peobubly has their own situation that works for them, I guess im just trying to figure out what the "norm" is that seems to work for most people and how it works
I understand your confusion. The things is, there isn't a "norm" that is in any way meaningful - you really have to find out what YOU want, and what your partners want. There's no peer pressure to conform, no strict set of behaviours that you need to follow.

Be yourself, enjoy your relationships and be happy with each other.

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpoly86 View Post

Any/all input welcomed!
I posted on your blog post already.

If you guys are all living together, sharing bills, sharing child-rearing duties and making decisions together, then you aren't his secondary, you are a joint primary, with everything that entails.

Being a primary or secondary has nothing to do with whose bed someone sleeps in, or who they have sex with. It's far more about the domestic arrangements and the decision-making and the degree of commitment present.

This is Poly (there can be joint primaries if it makes sense) not some bad Highlander plot ("There can be only One!").

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb