Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 06:03 PM

What is a "cuddle expansion?" Never heard the term before.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 06-12-2012, 08:47 PM

Expansions are programs you install that usually don't come pre-installed on whatever hardware you purchase. They're joking that the love for cuddles behaves like such a program.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 PM

Ah the geekdom derailment! LOL

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 AM

I'm sorta hooked on The Sims. For The Sims and The Sims 2 I had all the expansion packs. It became an in joke among our friends. And yes, CielDuMatin, we are geeks, but then you already know that.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 AM

Yeah... I think I'll pass on that kind of thing. It seems...odd.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 PM

My job is one big cuddle party. No thanks. I give way too much to make that a good thing for me. I don't think I would be able to receive a cuddle in a circumstance where I am with strangers or even friends. It would just be too weird. Part of my personality maybe? I think so as I know some people that I would imagine the cuddle party revolving around them. I stick close to home and like it that way

I'm glad for this thread as I thought that cuddle parties were an expectation. I had no idea that there were poly people out there that would avoid as I would. I guess I never really thought about it. How about all the solitary cuddlers head over to a discussion group elsewhere and have a few drinks. Leave the cuddle puddle folks to themselves... catch ya later kind of thing.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:26 PM

I guess I was really hoping that we would hear from a cross-section of folks - both those that don't care for these mass cuddle groups with strangers and those that love them. So far, it seems like the vast majority of folks that have responded don't care for them...

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Well, CdM, since your original Q was about the cuddle parties that are usually part of big poly conferences, now you have me wondering how many people here have actually been to a poly conference, anyway? Is that something that appeals to many folks, with or without cuddle parties?

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 PM

Poly conferences do appeal to me greatly. I've never had the opportunity to go to one, but I'm hoping to in the future, once I have moved back to California.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 PM

I've been a part of a cuddle pile twice, both at events hosted by our lovely neighborhood sex-positive community center. I found them to be generally positive experiences.

I'm someone who is very comfortable touching other people, and I don't have any germ paranoia. I remember at one point, I was lying with my head on this woman's thigh, and she was playing with my hair. It was very soothing.

At no point did it feel sexualized, and I had no worries about groping or unsought erections or whatever. I don't think I would seek such parties out, or purposely pay to participate, but I would probably join in if I found myself in circumstances that lent themselves to participating.

I can see where a cuddle party could be very attractive to someone who really craves human touch (as I do) but who has a lack of it in their lives, either because they're single or because their partner(s) is not comfortable or desirous of a lot of touch. I'm lucky that both my partners are very physically affectionate people, because it would be difficult for me to maintain mental health without a certain level of touch in my life.

Tags
conferences, cuddle parties