Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Default The search for clarity

As someone who is new to this concept, I am finding it increasingly difficult to control how I feel about her. It's been close to a year of great times and building this amazing connection. I would say that I'm currently in a Vee...with her being the hinge. She has a primary relationship, which is currently very strong and what I'd like to think is stable. I on the other hand, am single and have been on this search for my primary relationship.

Though I have dated other women during the past year, I've found it difficult to create emotional connections to these people. It would seem that she gets most of my heart. The connection to this women is just unreal, nothing I've ever experienced in the past, so it's not something I can easily deny or try and downplay, though I find I must at times to ensure I don't destabilize the Vee. However, as of late, I have found that I am increasingly having thoughts of how it would be, to be the primary in this Vee. How do you all control this? It was a lot easier to control before we started having deeper discussions about our relationship.

She has stated that this likely won't happen, but I also suspect that it's her defensive mechanism to keep me at bay. We both have expressed love for each other, but she has also confessed that she has become confused about her primary relationship...and has questioned whether that person or I am the one she should be with. Those same exact thoughts that I've had, are becoming stronger each day and it's becoming more and more difficult to deny that they exist.

Though I am always constantly trying to discover myself, I believe I would be very happy with her. And although I've tried over the last year to understand and accept this open lifestyle, I am not sure yet whether this is the lifestyle for me.

I'm currently seeing a therapist, who has been somewhat helpful thus far to provide more clarity for this situation. I've been told to focus more on what I want and how "we" - her and I can try to work through this. This makes sense, but I also fear I will push her away if I ask for too much too fast.

It feels really good to just put this all down in writing rather than a jumble of thoughts in my head...
Old 02-27-2012, 02:03 AM

Why can't you and your gf's primary be co-primaries? And why do you have to look at it as hierarchical situation. Personally, I detest such designations. Each relationship is unique.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 AM

Drop the hierarchy crap and just love her with as much energy and vigor as feels comfortable? Why do you have to put a cap on that just because she has another man in her life. I get all the best of my partners love right now because both are unpartnered with anyone else (hinge of a vee with the two men I live with). I also get the best of my married gf's love... its just different than what she gives to her husband.... ya, lose the hierarchy, it seems obvious to me you've outgrown it. Congrats, that would mean you are no longer a newbie at least by my standard anyway.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:38 AM

I definitely don't like the use of hierarchies to describe us, just thought I'd give some perspective. She has also thrown out those titles here and there, but I haven't made it clear that it bothers me...and it does sometimes.

bookbug - I would definitely love to be a co-primary. It would seem that the way we are building this relationship, it is leading to that but I won't assume. Perhaps I am giving her too much of the decision power, not stating my wants and needs. This is something I am currently working on.

redpepper - I somewhat agree with you, but I also don't want to shower her with this love perhaps not wanting to smother her. She has on occasion pulled away when she feels she is getting too close to me. Her way of balancing the Vee I'd assume. the last thing I want is to rock the boat...but sometimes my feelings for her are too strong, and I am finding it increasingly difficult to manage.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 AM

I will be blunt. I think you need to stop entertaining the fantasy of replacing her primary partner and come back down to earth. You don't have to be her primary for her to be yours. Sure, she may be confused about her primary relationship, but that sounds like NRE. It's still fairly new for both of you. But you are spinning off into these thoughts that you are "the one" she should be with, indulging in that idea, and fantasizing that she feels the same way but is keeping her feelings for you "at bay." This is not good because that kind of thinking could lead to unnecessary drama. Poly isn't about figuring out which person should be THE ONE to love -- but you can just let yourself love her with all your heart and treat her well, and not worry about who is in first place.

Continuing along this train of thought will cause problems because eventually you'll put her in the position of having to choose, and that isn't fair. Both her relationships could get messed up if you don't make an effort to start seeing the reality that she loves two people. So, I agree with the others that you just shouldn't be focusing on where you are within the perceived hierarchy. Try to stay grounded. If you want to be in a mono relationship, you either need to move on or accept that this is a mono/poly arrangement. There are Yahoo groups for monos in poly-mono relationships - maybe something like that will help you find your way. And make sure that you cultivate the friendships in your life and find ways to expend your energy that aren't so focused on her.

Also, do you have any sort of friendship with her SO? If not, I think it would behoove you to get to know that person and start seeing him or her as an ally in loving her, not your competition.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

Last edited by nycindie; 02-27-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yami08 View Post
Though I have dated other women during the past year, I've found it difficult to create emotional connections to these people.
You know, sometimes it just takes a long time to meet somebody you really click with, that is pretty common. Maybe they weren't right for you. Don't read too much into that. My husband was a bachelor until he was 40. He dated a hell of a fucking lot. He said he formed a deep connection with about one out of 20 people he dated. Don't know how common that is to dating at large, but I just wouldn't extrapolate your experience to mean you won't fall for other people ever. You are still possibly in the NRE stage with your girlfriend, and that can make it harder for you to be open to others.

I am not sure why you need to control how you feel about her?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I will be blunt. I think you need to stop entertaining the fantasy of replacing her primary partner and come back down to earth. You don't have to be her primary for her to be yours. Sure, she may be confused about her primary relationship, but that sounds like NRE. It's still fairly new for both of you. But you are spinning off into these thoughts that you are "the one" she should be with, indulging in that idea, and fantasizing that she feels the same way but is keeping her feelings for you "at bay." This is not good because that kind of thinking could lead to unnecessary drama. Poly isn't about figuring out which person should be THE ONE to love -- but you can just let yourself love her with all your heart and treat her well, and not worry about who is in first place.

Continuing along this train of thought will cause problems because eventually you'll put her in the position of having to choose, and that isn't fair. Both her relationships could get messed up if you don't make an effort to start seeing the reality that she loves two people. So, I agree with the others that you just shouldn't be focusing on where you are within a hierarchy, And try to stay grounded. If you want to be in a mono relationship, you either need to move on or accept that this is a mono/poly arrangement. And make sure that you cultivate the friendships in your life and find ways to expend your energy that aren't so focused on her.

Also, do you have any sort of friendship with her SO? If not, I think it would behoove you to get to know that person and start seeing him or her as an ally in loving her, not your competition.
Thank you for being so blunt. I need that. I admit that I've thought about it one too many times. It would seem that during the first 6 months, I was dealing with it very well, I was dating others, out and having a blast with my friends and my confidence was very high. Lately it hasn't been the same as I have realized I've fallen in love with her. - I'll definitely try to stay grounded. She is not comfortable at this point allowing us to meet. Though she would define their relationship is "open", I suspect he is a Mono and hasn't completely accepted her being Poly.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneintherain View Post
You know, sometimes it just takes a long time to meet somebody you really click with, that is pretty common. Maybe they weren't right for you. Don't read too much into that. My husband was a bachelor until he was 40. He dated a hell of a fucking lot. He said he formed a deep connection with about one out of 20 people he dated. Don't know how common that is to dating at large, but I just wouldn't extrapolate your experience to mean you won't fall for other people ever. You are still possibly in the NRE stage with your girlfriend, and that can make it harder for you to be open to others.

I am not sure why you need to control how you feel about her?
Thank you for giving me some perspective. It can be difficult sometimes for me to keep grounded about things. if you asked me 2 weeks ago if I thought we were still in the NRE stage I'd say no...but thinking about it again I do believe we are still there and experiencing it much more than ever. We would see each other only once or twice a week, but recently have spent a few weeks together and this has confused the hell out of me.

I feel that if I let her know everything, how deep my feelings are..I'm worried that I will push her away. Is this naive of me? I had thought that if I make it easier for her..by not overwhelming her then we can remain in a somewhat stable relationship.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 AM

Well back when I was married to my previous husband, my boyfriend (who is now my husband) fell deeply in love with me but did not tell me because he did not think it was appropriate to do because of the perceived limitations he saw on what our relationship could be. He did not say anything to me until I told him I loved him. Have you told your girlfriend you loved her?

The only problem that would have existed would have been if he started saying he wanted to be my "primary" or to leave my husband for him. I would not have a problem with him bringing up a conversation about being as important to me as my husband/being a co-primary. I think the only down side to him or any other person in your position admitting his feelings would really be
1. to find out that it's not possible because only one primary is allowed in their current relationship structure, then you deal.
2. to find out that it's not possible because the person isn't interested in you enough to want you in their life to that depth, and then the imbalance between your feelings and their feelings could possibly lead to the end of the relationship, but it has the ability to lead to much more doesn't it?

Anyway, I would be sad if a partner I had was not upfront about their feelings. Faking that you aren't madly in love with her doesn't seem to be good for you, which therefore isn't good for your relationship, therefore it isn't good for her. Sigh, then again, I haven't risked and lost for a long long time, so it's probably easy for me to give brave advice.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yami08 View Post
redpepper - I somewhat agree with you, but I also don't want to shower her with this love perhaps not wanting to smother her. She has on occasion pulled away when she feels she is getting too close to me. Her way of balancing the Vee I'd assume. the last thing I want is to rock the boat...but sometimes my feelings for her are too strong, and I am finding it increasingly difficult to manage.
I don't think one has to smother to love someone. I love plenty of people who don't even know it, let alone smother them. Its a mind set. The idea being to decide that loving her is to fulfill your need, not to create something in her life with her that is shown from the outside only. Its all inward stuff I am talking about. I hope that makes sense as its hard to explain....

Tags
hierarchy, primary, secondary