Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2010, 06:11 AM
redpepper's Avatar
redpepper redpepper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,636
Default Poly networking

My friend has decided to have a poly sex party. Most of my friends are going and I'm sure will have fun. My definition of poly is one whereby I approach others that I am interested in and they approach me. I like to build loving friendships and see what happens with each of them or with couples. I have a hard time with thinking of this party as a poly event. I talked to my friend at length about this and we agreed to respectfully disagree on this and also noted that we are both on different journeys within our poly experience right now... that all can change of course and we both agreed that life is fluid in these ways.

My friend mentioned the term poly networking as a way to explain where she was coming from and the context behind the event. Not that it was like mono sex parties as everyone will be poly and like minded. I suggested the term poly swinging, but swinging can be a loaded word for some and she wasn't keen on that term

Any thoughts on all this? I am left stumped again about stupid definitions!!!! Geez this shit drives me crazy sometimes!
__________________
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 PM
rosevett's Avatar
rosevett rosevett is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finger Lakes Region of NY
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Any thoughts on all this? I am left stumped again about stupid definitions!!!! Geez this shit drives me crazy sometimes!
Redpepper your not alone on this and I'm glad you were able to post this to the board. I feel very similiar to you on the poly-casual sex aspect of lovestyles and even found this at one of the conferences I went to and was very surprised at my negative feelings/reactions to the casualness of it.

I don't want anyone pointing their finger at me either since I am familiar with swinging and am comfortable with it's definition and expectations. Possibily that is why some of us can peg these types of events as 'poly-swinging' and I am OK with agreeing to disagree.
__________________
Do you live in New York State - www.thebirdcage.org - a place to chat local events and meetups for like minded folks!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
This post entry is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2010, 02:19 PM
GroundedSpirit GroundedSpirit is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New England USA
Posts: 1,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
........
I have a hard time with thinking of this party as a poly event.
Hey RP,

I just think it illustrates the different outlook and priority sex plays in different people's lives. No more - no less.
I think you're creating questions in your own mind where there are none (or shouldn't be). It's not 'comfortable' for you. That's totally fine. For whoever participates - it is. That's fine too.
Again (and again and again and....) this reflects back to the whole attitude people have about the little word 'sex'.
Think of it this way...............
If this was just ....say... a barbecue party would it raise the same questions in your mind ? Not likely.
So now, we're going to barbecue and get down in the grass and somehow that's different ?

When sexuality finally becomes as accepted as ribs and burgers these questions (finally) go away. Because sexuality is every bit as normal a part of the human experience as eating. And whether your hunger is for 1 burger or 4, with or without condiments is based on your own needs.

All in the mind I say

GS

Last edited by GroundedSpirit; 01-18-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 PM
rosevett's Avatar
rosevett rosevett is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finger Lakes Region of NY
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundedSpirit View Post
Hey RP,
When sexuality finally becomes as accepted as ribs and burgers these questions (finally) go away. Because sexuality is every bit as normal a part of the human experience as eating. And whether your hunger is for 1 burger or 4, with or without condiments is based on your own needs.
GS
I get this concept, I occasionally 'preach' this concept. SO WHY is it that poly-sex-parties don't equate in my mind. I think that is the question at hand - correct me if I'm mistaken.

Topic for discussion, because it is a mindset.

I'm thinking that if you look at a poly-sex party and a swingers house party that only close friends have been invited to, that they would look the same to 'unknowing' people. I have been in both worlds, I speak of this from my experience and maybe that is why when the poly folks involved with a sex-party point their fingers at the swingers with really close play partners I tend to shake my head and wonder why we all can't just get along.

Maybe that is why it is so disagreeable to me - not the fact that it is a polysex party but that some may judge it as better then swinging. LABELS LABELS I know we need them and I hate them.

my rambling has ended, perhaps others have better verbage and insight then myself but this is my point of view.
__________________
Do you live in New York State - www.thebirdcage.org - a place to chat local events and meetups for like minded folks!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
This post entry is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM
GroundedSpirit GroundedSpirit is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New England USA
Posts: 1,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosevett View Post
I have been in both worlds, I speak of this from my experience and maybe that is why when the poly folks involved with a sex-party point their fingers at the swingers with really close play partners I tend to shake my head and wonder why we all can't just get along.

Maybe that is why it is so disagreeable to me - not the fact that it is a polysex party but that some may judge it as better then swinging. LABELS LABELS I know we need them and I hate them.
Rose,

And I totally get YOUR point and agree.
I've raised the point before about the fine line between the TERMS 'swinging' and 'polyamory' and took the anticipated beating for it. That's ok. People form their oft quoted 'values' and belief systems based on their own personal experience and information they have (chosen) to absorb.
That is their 'truth' by definition.

But this is as good a time as any to express MY position and go wayyyyyyyyy out on a limb by say that I see a lot of pockets of people in various cultures & subcultures that under the banner of "opening their minds" have simply substituted one bucket of dogma for another that they felt better served their desires.
I see a lot of that here on this forum. (no particular individual targeted - if the shoe fits - wear it)

Now THAT should get me whipped in good shape !

GS

PS: RP - you're almost as good at stirring up a bees nest as some people I know I Do love honey !

Last edited by GroundedSpirit; 01-18-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM
redpepper's Avatar
redpepper redpepper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,636
Default

Haha! Thanks GS. Glad to be of service.

At least we were able to leave the conversation with mutual respect, understanding for each other and more depth to our relationship.

I think for me, and having slept on it, my initial concern was that the party may of been seen as part of another poly group that offers education. I felt uncomfortable with that, but actually it wasn't and apparently that has been rectified and changed on the invite.

I guess I see it as ... I could have sex with my co-workers, I could have sex with the regulars at the coffee shop I go to, I could have sex with the people at the gym I go to, but do I want to, feel it suits me, feel safe in that, feel like it is how I want to relate to them? Those are the questions I ask myself. If I was interested in someone I would approach it far differently.

The first half of the night is a sex toy party and I wonder how much people paid attention to the afterwards part... I got an in detail heads up on that part before hand and others didn't. Its all being handled respectfully in terms of peoples boundaries, just so you know... all thoughts... Still working on it in my head.
__________________
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM
GroundedSpirit GroundedSpirit is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New England USA
Posts: 1,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
I guess I see it as ... I could have sex with my co-workers, I could have sex with the regulars at the coffee shop I go to, I could have sex with the people at the gym I go to, but do I want to, feel it suits me, feel safe in that, feel like it is how I want to relate to them? Those are the questions I ask myself. If I was interested in someone I would approach it far differently.
Ok - so where IS this coffee shop eh ????? <grin>

But you say you'd approach it differently somehow with someone you were "interested" in ?
<<<scratches head>>>
You mean someone you felt some potential romantic connection to ?

So........the 'sex' that you'd potentially have with them (coffee shop) would be different somehow than this other person ? You're going to open your heart more during the act somehow ? Or something ?

Just trying to figure out what exactly you're saying here.....

Love talking to you !
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2010, 06:33 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundedSpirit View Post

When sexuality finally becomes as accepted as ribs and burgers these questions (finally) go away. Because sexuality is every bit as normal a part of the human experience as eating.
GS
If sexuality ever becomes this normalized for me, please shoot me. I like the pedestal I have placed it on. For me personally it gives it depth, meaning and purpose. I don't fuck just to fuck nor do I use it as a bonding agent in relationships or a recreational past time. I like the fact that it is something I share very restrictively. But that's me...and we all know I am one freaky dude

Peace and love...but no sex Unless your name is Redpepper
Mono
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2010, 08:20 PM
redpepper's Avatar
redpepper redpepper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundedSpirit View Post
Ok - so where IS this coffee shop eh ????? <grin>

But you say you'd approach it differently somehow with someone you were "interested" in ?
<<<scratches head>>>
You mean someone you felt some potential romantic connection to ?

So........the 'sex' that you'd potentially have with them (coffee shop) would be different somehow than this other person ? You're going to open your heart more during the act somehow ? Or something ?

Just trying to figure out what exactly you're saying here.....

Love talking to you !
No the sex wouldn't be different or the romantic aspect just that I don't have a need to fuck everyone at the coffee shop just because we hang out together. I feel like this is similar except that we are all identifying as poly. I don't have a need to fuck my friends just because we talk about poly together and identify as such.

Going to a swingers event is different for me in that I don't know anyone. Just bodies there for the same reason. Some swingers know each other but in the context of we know each other in order to have sex with each other. I know my poly friends in order to talk about poly, get to know them as people and explore the possibility of moving that relationship further with some. Maybe my friend is moving that possibility further with the whole group? Maybe they are ready for that too? Apparently so...
__________________
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Ariakas Ariakas is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Going to a swingers event is different for me in that I don't know anyone. Just bodies there for the same reason. Some swingers know each other but in the context of we know each other in order to have sex with each other. I know my poly friends in order to talk about poly, get to know them as people and explore the possibility of moving that relationship further with some. Maybe my friend is moving that possibility further with the whole group? Maybe they are ready for that too? Apparently so...
So if swinging is sex without pretense
poly is love without the requirement of sex (but can obviously be inclusive)

What are those people called who identify as poly and want to have an environment of people they know to have sex with? If I knew the group that sounds like an ideal setup to maybe expand your friends. Then again I am about the pickiest person I know for who I have sex with, I have never had a random 1 off.

I identify closer to poly than I do to swinging, because the randomness and chaos of a swinger party (never been only going by descriptions) sounds annoyingly like a keg party. I have been to those and random act of sex is something I am not capable of.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
poly sex, sex, sex party

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:29 PM.