Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 08:22 AM

While I identify as bisexual, I tend to lean towards men, if nothing else because they're easier to meet.

I didn't always identify as bisexual, mostly due to not really giving it much though, I just "was". Before I started thinking about it, I had a few bisexual boyfriends. It was AWESOME!

Like Ariakas said, I find bisexual people to be more open-minded in general. I'm going to stereotype now, and I want a disclaimer that I'm not saying this applies to all heteros, bis, or gays. I've found a lot of heteros to be stuck in their Barbie & Ken lifestyle. They think it's fine for "those people" to do what they're going to do, but they want no part of it. A lot of gays seem to be anti-bi, possibly due to some experiences with bi-curious people using them to test the waters, without a real intention for it to go anywhere.

In order to identify as bisexual, you have to have given it some thought. Anything that forces you to think that hard about life tends to open some mental barriers, and that's never a bad thing.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 06-19-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
Like Ariakas said, I find bisexual people to be more open-minded in general. I'm going to stereotype now, and I want a disclaimer that I'm not saying this applies to all heteros, bis, or gays. I've found a lot of heteros to be stuck in their Barbie & Ken lifestyle. They think it's fine for "those people" to do what they're going to do, but they want no part of it. A lot of gays seem to be anti-bi, possibly due to some experiences with bi-curious people using them to test the waters, without a real intention for it to go anywhere.
I would agree with this. Most have a pre-disposed viewpoint on what being a married couple is. Heck even throw kink in there. They just want the prescriped house, picket fence, 2 cars, happy kids - all 2.5 of them. If they have that, that is their perfection...

And Pengrah has run into the above backlash. We come from a very lesbian community. When I was younger I think the ratio was 7 to 1 girls to guys. In a town with a lot of bi-sexual women, there was still backlash, almost violent, to the bi-sexuals. There was even an anti-toy movement, the lesbians claiming "if you like toys, you like boys"...I would not have envied her in those days.

Its quite a lot to work with and think about
Old 06-19-2010, 08:48 PM

I definitely agree that bisexual people are more open minded. I have a student who is gay and he does not even believe in bisexuality, not to mention not even knowing the word pansexual (which made him roll his eyes).

But back to the question...I am hetero but not poly. So hypothetically if I was single, I would be less likely to date a bisexual woman. Naturally, I would seek out a mono partner so this wouldn't be an issue though. If she was wired mono, she wouldn't be interested in others and I'm not into the two women one guy thing anyways.

I don't think I qualify for this question

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 06-19-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
I don't think I qualify for this question
Sure you do!

The world has a fair share of people who are both bi- and mono. And a fair share who are both bi- and poly. Not all bi- folk are poly!

As I see it, I evolved or transformed into poly from mono. (And when I say "evolved" I'm not meaning to suggest that poly is better than mono-.) So I've been a bi mono guy. Yet I'm old enough at this point to have lived these two very different modes of being. I don't think I was a poly guy hidden inside a mono mindset (heartset?) then. I really did transform. Who knows how or why, but I did.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Sure you do!
Inclusion is nice Great comment River.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 06-25-2010, 06:12 PM

I'm a more or less straight female; I've had one sexual experience with another woman and have never been in a relationship with one. It's not something I'm closed to the possibility of in the future, but also not something I'm concerned with actively pursuing. My boyfriend is bi, and that's just fine with me. His only other relationship while we've been together was with another guy. I'm not a real big fan of the traditional gender binary, though, and I've always been attracted to androgynous men (which of course isn't necessarily attached to sexual orientation, but often is).
Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Question coming out as bisexual

Ok, I know that this isn't poly, but it is related so I thought I would post to get other's opinions. I have been into both male and female since high school, but during high school it was an awkward stage and very confusing time. Now as an adult I am learning to accept my sexuality and feel that I need to become a part of that community. I am out to alot of my friends, but not out to my family, I don't feel they will be supportive or understand. So many ppl don't really think that we exist, especially the LGBQT commmunity, most think we are in a "phase". I really want to come out to everyone. Should I do that knowing their won't be support there? How do I go about doing it? How do I explain the whole bisexuality not a phase subject...
Old 08-24-2010, 06:09 PM

Why not just wait until you're in a relationship that matters to you that is with a member of the same gender. If you want to introduce them to your family it will become fairly obvious that you're not straight.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 PM

I am currently in a Triad relationship with a married couple. So I have both a girlfriend and boyfriend, but she isn't out. I am out to most of my friends. The reason I feel I really want to get out there is because I am tired of hiding who I am. this is a part of that and I really want to embrace it but I feel hiding it doesn't allow me to do it to my fullest extent...
Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunetteangel03 View Post
I am currently in a Triad relationship with a married couple. So I have both a girlfriend and boyfriend, but she isn't out. I am out to most of my friends. The reason I feel I really want to get out there is because I am tired of hiding who I am. this is a part of that and I really want to embrace it but I feel hiding it doesn't allow me to do it to my fullest extent...
Will coming out have an effect on her being outted?

Tags
attractions, bi-women, biamorous, biamory, bisexual, bisexuality, heterosexuality, love, meditation, pansexual, poly vs. open, polyamorous, polyamory, polysexual, steriotypes