Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 01:53 AM

I really like the logo. It looks better than any official polyamory symbols I've seen. I don't suppose people would be allowed to use it though? (I meant as a pendant, or tattoo, or something). I assume it's copyrighted?

Anyways, I registered for the beta, looks good to me so far, there isn't much interactivity yet but I'm looking forward to more. I've been following the project and I definitely want to be a member. Unlike many other people here I'm not a member of Fetlife or OKCupid or anything where you have a big profile page you can fill.
I feel for poly people it can be important, be it only so you can explain your situation.

Would it be possible to have a box for "current relationship network" with possibility to have some kind of diagram? For instance a Vee with one heart being bigger (representing you) or something like that? Obviously there would be lots of possibilities so there would need a program where you start with a heart (you) and have the option to add connections. If you could pick a gender (male, female, other) and each was a colour, that would be even better.
This way there could be a quick one-look view of your current network, shown for instance under your profile picture. Even better would be the option to link the other hearts to existing members, so that someone can click one and go to their profile.

EDIT: also they could be the logo heart if they're poly, or a regular heart if they're mono?
I realise it's a bit complicated, but I think it could be very helpful.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 AM

Hey Tonberry, thanks for the feedback. The logo is not currently trademarked but I'm looking into my options there. I definitely don't want to restrict use (so you can get a tattoo or make a poster or anything); it would be more of a defensive measure on my part.

As for the graph feature you described - I like the sound of it. I think it would be cool to visualize relationships like that - especially with high numbers of users. That's a feature that will come after the core components come together though: basic relationships, groups, events, search, messaging, etc. Once the basics are figured out and if there are enough users, I'd love to spend some time getting a social graph together.

You should see some more stuff to play with by the week's end . Thanks again for the suggestion, I appreciate it.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
Even better would be the option to link the other hearts to existing members, so that someone can click one and go to their profile.

EDIT: also they could be the logo heart if they're poly, or a regular heart if they're mono?
I realise it's a bit complicated, but I think it could be very helpful.
I love both of these ideas! I love the idea of being able to link your profile with the people you are currently connected to.

I was also wondering if there is a way to encourage people to include their idea of polyamory in their profile. Either by including suggested prompts for the "Looking for" space or by adding another component of the profile. I know I like to know if people subscribe to a hierarchical or more equality based view of relationships. A recent thread mentioned bi-monogamy/binogamy/whatever you would want to call someone who wants a relationship with one man and one woman. Options like that. I know it would generally be included in the "looking for" or "about me" sections, but I don't know if many people would really think to define it since everyone tends to assume that everyone will think just like them.

The site seems great so far - very straightforward and easy to use.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 PM

Great idea. Let me think about how to work that in... I'm trying to avoid having a bunch of input fields so your idea of a prompt within the Looking For field sounds nice. I'll work this into the next update; it's going to be a big one .
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyFM View Post
Hey Tonberry, thanks for the feedback. The logo is not currently trademarked but I'm looking into my options there. I definitely don't want to restrict use (so you can get a tattoo or make a poster or anything); it would be more of a defensive measure on my part.
I would definitely trademark it, and then restrict it to non-profit uses. So people can get a tattoo or make a poster for their event, but if they make necklaces to sell, you should get a royalty!!

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 02-13-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 AM

Is it possible to have the info sections selectively added by drop-down menu? i.e. only the sections that apply to me... Or at least, will the blank sections be hidden in my eventual profile?

For example, I deliberately don't "look for" relationships. It goes against my grain. Whenever I see that box, I sorta cringe and never know what to put. Then it makes me think that whatever site I'm on is a dating site, and I usually leave...

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 02-13-2012, 02:46 AM

Oh, and I'm sure it's in the works, but I would definitely do "age" by birthday calculation, with obviously an option whether or not to display your birthday, with the default being not to. Needless to say, ages change, and we don't always remember to update them.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 AM

OK last comment for the day...... I *love* the font!!! It's one of those things that can really fuck up a website. People think flashy fonts are so cool, but they really just make them illegible. Your choice has a nice balance between simplicity and elegance. Please don't change it in the live version!!

Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
I would definitely trademark it, and then restrict it to non-profit uses. So people can get a tattoo or make a poster for their event, but if they make necklaces to sell, you should get a royalty!!

Thanks for all the feedback SC . I talked to an attorney and it turns out that a service mark might be a better route. Since I plan to open source this, I won't have any products to sell.

Regarding the info sections - you know, I'm thinking about letting users make their own fields. I think it would be cool to let users create/rename fields as they see fit. You could take "About Me" and rename it to "My Story", or you could delete both existing fields and create new ones (same as renaming) - "Favorite Music", "Hobbies", etc. This way I can just have "About Me" up there, and let the users decide what's important to communicate. The cringeworthy "looking for" can be removed as a default field that way.

As for the age - "birthday" will be in this next update.

And don't worry, the font is here to stay .
Old 02-17-2012, 12:58 AM

I like the idea of being able to name your fields. It can make your profile more personal, with what you think matters the most.

A small comment that might not be worth anything: today while checking out the beta, I had a small reaction to the red text with the definition of polyamory and thought it was an error message, until I read it.

I don't know if it's a problem or not (after all, it should get people to read it) but I thought it might be worth a mention.

Tags
online dating, social networking