Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Nerdpower13's Avatar
Nerdpower13 Nerdpower13 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 72
Default

My favorites are Fight Club, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and of course Star Wars (Original Trilogy only)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: near Toronto, Canada -.-
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
My favorites are Fight Club, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and of course Star Wars (Original Trilogy only)
Star Wars FTW (For The Win), laugh :-). When I was younger, Star Wars was my favourite movie series. Even now, I really like them, especially the last 3 (with Anakin's transformation to Vader being my favourite).

I've seen snippets of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, but never really got into it; maybe one day. RunicWolf shares your fascination with Fight Club; I may see it one of these days.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Nerdpower13's Avatar
Nerdpower13 Nerdpower13 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 72
Default

See I hate the newer movies because I feel they could've been done much better. They should've been about Obi-Wan and Anakin going around the galaxy being badass jedi until something happens causing Anakin to fall to the Dark Side and become Vader. They should've put more into the relationship between Anakin and Ob-Wan. They mention adventures they had in passing but they should've shown it and shown how they developed strong bonds of friendship. it would've made the final battle in Episode 3 so much more heavy and emotional. Also Hayden Christensen was a terrible actor and we didn't need to see young Boba Fett or any of that stuff. Episode 1 didn't even need to exist really with freaking midichlorians and that shit.

Sorry I'm a huge Star Wars nerd so I get very passionate about it lol.
__________________
ME: 23 year old slightly bi-curious male. B: 19 year old bi female and my wife
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: near Toronto, Canada -.-
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
See I hate the newer movies because I feel they could've been done much better.
I have a friend who feels the new ones don't compare to the old ones, sounds like where you're coming from, heh :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
They should've been about Obi-Wan and Anakin going around the galaxy being badass jedi until something happens causing Anakin to fall to the Dark Side and become Vader.
I don't know, I liked it the way they did it. And they do have that more in the animated Clone Wars I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
They should've put more into the relationship between Anakin and Ob-Wan. They mention adventures they had in passing but they should've shown it and shown how they developed strong bonds of friendship. it would've made the final battle in Episode 3 so much more heavy and emotional.
Movies can only be so long though; I think it was better to focus Anakin's relationship on Padme.. the fact that she just happened to be Natalie Portman was a big plus in my mind :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
Also Hayden Christensen was a terrible actor
Why do you think this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
and we didn't need to see young Boba Fett or any of that stuff.
Well, there had to be some bad guys. He seemed to fit the role fairly well, and considering the fact that he was apparently the original clone, I kind of liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
Episode 1 didn't even need to exist really with freaking midichlorians and that shit. Sorry I'm a huge Star Wars nerd so I get very passionate about it lol.
Well, I liked the explanation; maybe for people like you who (I'm guessing) have read the comics or more of the books (I did read one, wasn't too pleased with it though), this would been well worn terrain, but for me, I really didn't know the theory behind the force, so I liked it.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Nerdpower13's Avatar
Nerdpower13 Nerdpower13 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 72
Default

Oh don't even get me started on the Clone Wars series. It takes the previously established canon and rapes it with a lightsaber. Anakin never had an apprentice otherwise she would've been mentioned in the movies. We all know that she has to die because we don't see her anywhere in the third movie. And they have already made the series last longer than the amount of time between Episode 2 and Episode 3. And yes I love the books. I haven't gotten a chance to read the comics yet though.

I just hate that they made Darth Vader, the most badass guy in the galaxy, into a whiny little emo bitch.

Quote:
Well, there had to be some bad guys. He seemed to fit the role fairly well, and considering the fact that he was apparently the original clone, I kind of liked it.
You're thinking of Jango Fett, the father of Boba Fett. And that whole thing goes against previously established canon of Boba Fett's origins. It's like George Lucas sees all this stuff that he previously approved for the books or even stuff he wrote himself in the original trilogy and then he's like "Oh screw that I'm gonna make something else up that goes against what people have been reading for years!"
__________________
ME: 23 year old slightly bi-curious male. B: 19 year old bi female and my wife
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 PM
RunicWolf RunicWolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 154
Default

On the Star Wars movies, I have to agree with Nerdpower13. I grew up on Star Wars. I loved A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. I too am a massive Star Wars nerd (almost as much a Star Wars nerd as I am Transformers). While I don't dislike the plot, or what they tried to do it boils down to one thing.

George Lucas is a terrible writer.

Hear me out on this. George Lucas wrote only -one- of his big original movies, A New Hope. After that he did the smart thing and got himself some help. He helped write several of the others, but he always had someone there to clean things up. George Lucas is like James Cameron; he needs a little help, and by the Gods when he gets it you get things like Indiana Jones, the original Star Wars movies, Willow, and American Graffiti. By himself you get, well, The Phantom Menace.

Of course, that said, the Expanded Universe (henceforth known as "EU") hasn't been exactly all that picky with what gets pushed though. I give the old Marvel comics a pass because, well, those where fairly typical of comics in that age and they where a lot of fun. No, my spite for the setting I grew up with and loved is aimed squarely at the novels.

You see, back in 1991 Timothy Zhan put out a little book called Heir to the Empire. Up until that point the only EU material had been the Marvel comics and 7 novels, and yea, they where actually pretty good for the most part but unknown for the most part. It wasn't until Zhan put out the new novels that shit got real. Star Wars was suddenly on the radar again and next thing you knew there where novels coming out of our ears. The quality of some of those books makes Lucas' attempt at writing like epic masterpieces. Namely it was batha poodo. It's gotten to the point I only read a few things out of the EU, namely Zhan's novels (he's consistently good and it's been noticed*) and the comics set either way before or after the movies.

Now that rant is out of the way, yea, the newer trilogy isn't as terrible plot/story wise. It's the writing and the sometimes hamfisted acting that does it in. The Clone Wars cartoon, however, still amuses me. Captain Rex is one of a handful of characters not from the movies that I enjoy.

*Timothy Zhan created several bits of Star Wars lore. Coruscant, the capital of the Empire, was never mentioned in the original movies. He made it up and used it in a novel. It was so well received that it was one of the few pieces of the EU used by Lucas when he wrote the prequel trilogy. If you are wondering why that's so awesome, do some digging. Lucas tossed 90% of the EU and did what he wanted with the movies, as is his right.The fact he saved that one thing says a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Nerdpower13's Avatar
Nerdpower13 Nerdpower13 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 72
Default

I love Timothy Zahn's novels! Grand Admiral Thrawn is my favorite character in the entire Star Wars universe!
__________________
ME: 23 year old slightly bi-curious male. B: 19 year old bi female and my wife
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM
RunicWolf RunicWolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
I love Timothy Zahn's novels! Grand Admiral Thrawn is my favorite character in the entire Star Wars universe!
Thrawn was a glorious bastard, but I think Grand Admiral Pellaeon, then Captain, has him beat.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Nerdpower13's Avatar
Nerdpower13 Nerdpower13 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 72
Default

The Thrawn books were one of the few where I was actually cheering for the "Bad" guy because in my mind Thrawn really wasn't that evil. He was just enforcing the law of the Empire which took him in after he was exiled.
__________________
ME: 23 year old slightly bi-curious male. B: 19 year old bi female and my wife
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: near Toronto, Canada -.-
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
Oh don't even get me started on the Clone Wars series. It takes the previously established canon and rapes it with a lightsaber. Anakin never had an apprentice otherwise she would've been mentioned in the movies. We all know that she has to die because we don't see her anywhere in the third movie. And they have already made the series last longer than the amount of time between Episode 2 and Episode 3.
Ah well, poetic license I say, laugh :-). Also, as RunicWolf said:
"Lucas tossed 90% of the EU and did what he wanted with the movies, as is his right."

In an ideal universe, only Timothy Zahn quality writers would have written the books and Lucas would have followed them faithfully, but I'm happy with what we got ;-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
And yes I love the books. I haven't gotten a chance to read the comics yet though.
I only read one of the comics; one right before Darth Vader and Luke confront each other apparently; got it from someone who was giving away his comic books, I imagine he either kept the epic confrontation or gave it away/sold it before (and yes, I am assuming that he had it at some point in time, how could he look at the preview of the next comic and not get it, laugh :-p).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
I just hate that they made Darth Vader, the most badass guy in the galaxy, into a whiny little emo bitch.
He seemed ok to me. That being said, it's hard to compare with James Earl Jones :-p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdpower13 View Post
You're thinking of Jango Fett, the father of Boba Fett. And that whole thing goes against previously established canon of Boba Fett's origins. It's like George Lucas sees all this stuff that he previously approved for the books or even stuff he wrote himself in the original trilogy and then he's like "Oh screw that I'm gonna make something else up that goes against what people have been reading for years!"
Looks like it, laugh :-). Ah well. As Morpheus once said, you can always "take the blue pill and believe whatever you want to believe". I like to think of this as not always a bad thing. As my father once said, "the line between the imaginary and the real is more imaginary then real". So in the book Star Wars universe, things are as you say, but not in the movie universe. Personally, I hope there are more movies; as long as they're as good as what's come out so far, I'm ok with him creating alternate Star Wars universes, laugh :-).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 PM.