Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 05:58 PM

Wow... just... wow. Thank you for expressing your opinion.

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb

Last edited by CielDuMatin; 01-30-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Better expressing what I think.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDuMatin View Post
Wow... just... wow. Thank you for the "dialogue."

You're welcome though it is unfortunate you choose not to contribute more.

~Raven~

~Open up your mind and let me step inside.
Rest your weary head and let your heart decide. It's so easy.
When you know the rules.
It's so easy. All you have to do is fall in love.
Play the game.
Everybody play the game of love. Yeah...~
Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
You're welcome though it is unfortunate you choose not to contribute more.

~Raven~
Do you really blame him Raven, he is probably still reeling from the verbal interrogation you seem to have just given him. I am, just reading it, and you aren't even directing your hatred towards me... and it does seem to come across as hatred by the way. I don't know what your beef with Ceil is, but it screams it pretty loud.. or am the only one picking that up? Maybe Ceil does and that is why he chose not to answer...

poor Ceil, good for you trying to sort it all out... there was some bits in there that actually made me feel connected to my community as a whole and of all ages. Those are the ones that I think will move us forward to being joined more. I will cling to those.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Ah the drama. It must be more difficult then I imagined to just treat a person with kindness and caring.
I guess I DID pick my login name unusually well.
Huh-wonders may never cease.................
Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
Ah the drama. It must be more difficult then I imagined to just treat a person with kindness and caring.
Apparently it is difficult. Which is why marginalization can happen, and apparently why people don't seem to want to listen to the very real and valid issues that lie behind that marginalization.

I am also disappointed, but probably for different reasons.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
Apparently it is difficult. Which is why marginalization can happen, and apparently why people don't seem to want to listen to the very real and valid issues that lie behind that marginalization.

I am also disappointed, but probably for different reasons.

I share a similar disappointment I think.

No responses. No engagement. Simply silence. That in addition to the comments made about the traits of young people as opposed to all human beings.

There is the tendency at times to ignore issues people have a hand in perpetuating such as the marginalization of others. It is difficult to perform the sort of self examination needed perhaps to assist in ending the problem.

I see cropping up the old tactic of assuming the role of victim (even on behalf of others as Redpepper has exhibited for us) when views and questions are raised that makes someone feel uncomfortable. Rather than speak to the issue, it is back to "you say things I don't agree with, therefore you're attacking and hurting me, you bad person you." And "Let's save the menaced victim. Poor victim you." *Gag*

Verbal interrogation and hatred Redpepper?
It might be of benefit for you to stop projecting emotions you cannot deal with as the responsibility of other people. It is the most repulsive reaction I have seen on forums. Sinking to the level of negatively characterizing others who you cannot form a coherent discussion with is beyond me but a hard habit to break for some here it seems.

I asked several legitimate questions and gave my perspective in regards to the thread's topic, purpose, and the discussion thereafter. Others also offered suggestions.

The response to these was deafening silence. Dismissal. Complete avoidance of the discussion in favor of devaluing the views of others.

Again I ask why is this the case especially from those who stated they were concerned and wished to understand better the experience of young polys and marginalization they might face.

And I will encourage again those who wish to address the topic of marginalization and young polys, to actually address it and not skim the surface. My questions are pretty plain in my previous posts. I hope to see people not placing the complete sum of their knowledge of this topic in the hands of others.

It seems the views and questions that are favored and considered "entering into dialogue" by some are the views that don't cause anyone to think too actively about the issue at hand. An elaborate show of concern and not much else. All the rest are just people directing "hatred."

~Raven~

~Open up your mind and let me step inside.
Rest your weary head and let your heart decide. It's so easy.
When you know the rules.
It's so easy. All you have to do is fall in love.
Play the game.
Everybody play the game of love. Yeah...~

Last edited by Ravenesque; 02-02-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 PM

I’m a 25 year old and found the term “poly” when I was 20. I have never felt marginalized by the community here in Seattle. I’ve never felt rejected by people who are older. If anything I felt embraced. The only people who have ever said anything negative about my age was in relationship to my blog and they were not people I knew in person just people on-line.

I really don’t know why anyone would have issue with younger poly people and I haven’t really seen a lot of it. To be honest most of the ageism I see is from young people who don’t want “old creepy people” at their hot sexy parties.

We are people and we tend to group around people we are attracted to and interested in. Sometimes that looks like hanging out with people we feel are experienced with our lifestyles, sometimes it looks like hanging out with people we personally would like to have sex with. I don’t think that I have ever personally felt pushed out of a group of ploy people, bdsm people, burning man people, theater people because of my age. I get along with some groups of people, I don’t with others. I have a group of friends, and no, not everyone is invited to hang out with me all the time. I have preferences, I expect almost all people do, if I don’t fit into yours because of my age, gender, relationship type, personality, interests then I don’t fit into your preferences. I am left with the choice of trying to change myself to fit in, or fucking off. Most of the time I pick fucking off.

I find people who like me. And I hang out with people I like. The only people who have ever had issue with my voice are random strangers on the internet who don’t like that I write about my ideas on poly. And with all due respect, who the fuck cares?

Last edited by rosephase; 02-02-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:47 PM

It's a shame that the marginalization of young polies seems to be an epidemic in all other places but the extensive community where I live. We have people from 18 to 80, inclusive and happy. We don't all do the same things at the same times but the choice to engage in certain things is based on the completely natural difference in generational interests and extensiveness of life experience.

Hopefully everyone will eventually achieve this in their respective communities.

Peace and Love
Mono

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Custodian

I have never felt marginalized because of my age when it comes to "alternative scenes", such as sex and music; I have only felt marginalized via ageism when it comes to MAINSTREAM "scenes", such as school and the workplace.

But, like someone said, most of the time I just prefer to fuck off.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:13 AM

I too have felt marginalized before and consider myself to be young still in terms of people who are older than me. In terms of my 87 year old friend I am younger for example... age is so irrelevant really. It's more quality of character that is important to me.

As Mono said in my community here I feel good that there is room for all to be included. I am not so sure that marginalization is as big as it seems from this thread. At least not in my experience and in terms of the community here as far as I know. I am smack dab in the middle of all the ages we chose to socialized with and have gained huge insight from all who I chose to have in my life. They chose to have me too and we are able to smile and appreciate each other for exactly who we are.

That doesn't mean that we don't struggle sometimes I'm sure. I know I do. I get to the bottom of it with that person, and see it just as an issue with that person. It makes us care and love each other more by the time we have worked it through.

I am thinking of someone in particular here that is 15 years younger than me... I think I will send her a message and tell her how much I love her... she is a remarkable woman and I learned a lot from her recently...

Tags
ageism, exclusion, marginalization, tng, young