Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 AM

Default Poly on Private Practice...

Just saw the scene where 2 women and a man disclose that they are "ALL" in love.... It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 AM

Well sheee-it.

That's not nice.

*sigh*

My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 01-06-2012, 02:58 PM

What happened? How did they spin it?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 AM

The situation was originally presented as a lesbian couple wanting a baby and their 'friend' wanting to be the sperm donor.

It came out that in actual fact they were in a polyfi triad.

(of course the docs all had differing opinions of "that's wrong" to "more love to go around")

Turns out that one of the women was not able to either carry a baby or produce eggs.

Their family rules said that all decisions had to be unanimous.

She decided that since she couldn't be a part of it, there would be no baby.

The man and the other woman really wanted to carry on and move forward and that caused some issues.

The woman unable to have babies decided she loved her partners enough to put aside her discomfort about potentially being left out because the other two would be the only ones involved in procreating and go ahead with the baby idea.

The woman able to have kids said no - she loves her partners enough that she wants EVERYONE to be happy, EVERYONE to be 100% comfortable - that she chooses their family - she didn't want her partner to compromise.

The girls made up. All was happy happy joy joy - they would adopt or find some way to make a family work for all of them

The man then said no - he wanted to have his own biological child and that it was important enough to him that he didn't know if he could choose them over the potential child.... (that's the part I didn't like)

That was the end of that storyline. I liked some of it, didn't like the other part, but meh - its tv

My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Ah, I see... Well, it's realistic at least. I can totally see all of that happening in an actual triad (I've seen similar things happen in couples). I don't think a positive representation of poly needs to make it look 100% perfect and ideal so I'd still say it's a positive representation... Of course I understand being sad about how it turned out in the end.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:02 AM

I watch it and loved it!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:22 PM

I thought they did a great job of portraying the triad as a 'normal' relationship. Sure, at first the main characters (some of them) reacted very negatively, but as soon as they got used to the idea they supported the poly people just like they would any other patients.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Yeah, I actually love this depiction. It portrays them as real people with real struggles that are about FAMILY... not just about sex, which is what poly can be sensationalized as. And it takes the focus from "omg, is it right for them to have multiple relationships??" to "omg, is it right to value a chance at a biological child over your own partner??" (which, hey, that could legitimately be a tough call... I would counsel them to open up the triad personally, why do they have to be exclusive?),making poly itself a non-controversy in the end. Awesome.